Question Using Toslink In (usb sound card)

Jan 2, 2020
Hello to all. I recently got a generic (cheap but very efficient) usb sound card for my laptop.
It is Cmedia CM6206. It works fine and outputs laptop audio on the speakers connected onto the card

Here's my issue:
Card has a toslink (optical - fiber) in and out.
I want to feed it with an optical signal (i.e. toslink out from my samsung tv)..
..and have it convert it to analog out, getting sound on the connected amplified speakers (already on the usb sound card)

I checked for hours on google, all I get is "using spdf in for recording".
Is this something that can be done?
Soundcard accompanying software doesnot give me an option to choose i.e. laptop audio or toslink in audio.
Thank you..

Did you try this and it did not work? For an external DAC like that you should be able to connect the optical in to the TV and then use the analog out for speakers. The selection is usually done with a switch on the DAC, yours does not have it so make sure the optical input is the only input hooked in. And from the looks of the port, the correct output should be the "Front" jack.

Jan 2, 2020
Did you try this and it did not work? For an external DAC like that you should be able to connect the optical in to the TV and then use the analog out for speakers. The selection is usually done with a switch on the DAC, yours does not have it so make sure the optical input is the only input hooked in. And from the looks of the port, the correct output should be the "Front" jack.
Thanks Titan ! However..
I have nothintg else connected.
My Tv outputs optical fine, I can even see the red light at toslink cable's end.
It 'goes' into 'optical in' on the usb card.

My ampified speakers are connected at front out.
Everything works fine (i.e. when playing music from laptop).

The only other connection on the card is the usb cable, connecting it to the laptop. I undestand that the usbcard cannot be powered without it.

So perhaps the only thing left to do, is to uninstall any other bundled software, and just let the usb device operate with the minimum drivers. Perhaps then it will 'see' the incoming optical signal and the Digital to Analog converter will feed it to 'front out'.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions - thanks again.

Thanks Titan ! However..
I have nothintg else connected.
My Tv outputs optical fine, I can even see the red light at toslink cable's end.
It 'goes' into 'optical in' on the usb card.

My ampified speakers are connected at front out.
Everything works fine (i.e. when playing music from laptop).

The only other connection on the card is the usb cable, connecting it to the laptop. I undestand that the usbcard cannot be powered without it.

So perhaps the only thing left to do, is to uninstall any other bundled software, and just let the usb device operate with the minimum drivers. Perhaps then it will 'see' the incoming optical signal and the Digital to Analog converter will feed it to 'front out'.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions - thanks again.

Try using the DAC with a standard wall phone charger for power not connected to the laptop.

When connect the DAC to your computer the computer sees it as a sound card, so the DAC takes input from the laptop. Since you don't have a switch and I have no idea how your model handles inputs, you should try to power it from a wall socket to make sure nothing else is using the DAC as a device outside of the TV optical link.

This Modi for example has a switch on front to go from USB to optical input https://www.schiit.com/products/mod...m7JKrYIoBcz4lbFBXLTmo9K_2cO0Gh-RoCLwwQAvD_BwE

Failing that, did you contact the maker of the thing?

Jan 2, 2020
Try using the DAC with a standard wall phone charger for power not connected to the laptop.

When connect the DAC to your computer the computer sees it as a sound card, so the DAC takes input from the laptop. Since you don't have a switch and I have no idea how your model handles inputs, you should try to power it from a wall socket to make sure nothing else is using the DAC as a device outside of the TV optical link.

This Modi for example has a switch on front to go from USB to optical input https://www.schiit.com/products/mod...m7JKrYIoBcz4lbFBXLTmo9K_2cO0Gh-RoCLwwQAvD_BwE

Failing that, did you contact the maker of the thing?

Your idea sounds great, I will try it this weekend and let you know.

No, I havent contacted the manufacturer, since this is a generic item based on the CMedia's product. However I will contact CMedia.

Thanks again, back soon.