Using touchpad causes screen to turn off

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliceell

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
This is a strange problem. When I move the touchpad on my tablet, it causes the screen to turn off.

I have an Acer Aspire Switch 10 convertible tablet (touchscreen tablet with a built-in, detachable keyboard/touchpad). It has Windows 8 32-bit installed and was bought in 2013. I can use everything perfectly normally but when I try to move the touchpad at all, the screen turns off as though it's going to sleep. It turns back on just fine when I swipe up on the touchscreen. I have to do everything by using the touchscreen, not the touchpad.

The built in keyboard is working fine. I scanned the touchpad in Device Manager for changes, and checked for driver updates, and everything is up to date. I ran a scan with Windows Defender (this is my mom's tablet and she doesn't have any other antivirus software installed other than McAfee). I'm going to download Malwarebytes and Avast soon, but I wanted to post here first in case anyone had any suggestions as to where to start.

Solution
I had the same problem on my Acer Aspire Laptop. The funny thing is I hardly use the touchpad and I use a mouse plugged into the usb port most of the time. It happened 2 days ago when I turned my Laptop on I used the touchpad to login on my windows 8.1 machine and every time I touched the touchpad the screen went black like sleep mode and when I touched it again the screen came back to normal. I was able to hopefully fix it yesterday when I booted into safe mode on my windows 8.1 laptop. I noticed the touchpad didn't work in safe mode because the driver is not active in safe mode. I just moved my finger around on the touchpad for few minutes in safe mode then I restarted back into desktop, I noticed the problem was gone when I touched...
Try going into "Control Panel" and then into "Power Options".

Next click "Change plan settings" next to the plan you are using, and then click "Change advanced power settings".

Now on this new screen search for both the "Touchpad" and the "Display" and make sure their sleep settings aren't set to turn off for use of the touchpad.

supra1000hp

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
I had the same problem on my Acer Aspire Laptop. The funny thing is I hardly use the touchpad and I use a mouse plugged into the usb port most of the time. It happened 2 days ago when I turned my Laptop on I used the touchpad to login on my windows 8.1 machine and every time I touched the touchpad the screen went black like sleep mode and when I touched it again the screen came back to normal. I was able to hopefully fix it yesterday when I booted into safe mode on my windows 8.1 laptop. I noticed the touchpad didn't work in safe mode because the driver is not active in safe mode. I just moved my finger around on the touchpad for few minutes in safe mode then I restarted back into desktop, I noticed the problem was gone when I touched the touchpad and the display was not going black.

I'm just sharing my experience
I hope this helps you.

Solution

Elizabeth_1102

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
I have the same tablet as you and had the same problem when it came back from repairs. i managed to get it fixed without having to do much. my steps are as follows:
i went into the control panel and went to "hardware and sound". under "devices and printer" i selected "mouse". from there i the box that popped up i went to the "hardware" tab and selected "properties". in the "general" tab i selected "change settings".
in the next window selected the "driver" tab and from there i selected "update driver" just to make sure everything was up to date which it was. then i went back to the "driver"tab and selected "disable driver" hit "yes" to disable it. after it was disabled i hit "enable driver" and my touch pad started working all on its own. that is my experience. i hope it helps if you haven't managed to get it to work yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.