Valve: Apple Changing Console Market With New Device

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]"I suspect Apple will launch a living room product that redefines people's expectations really strongly and the notion of a separate console platform will disappear," I suspect newell is smoking some serious hardcore meth and crack !seriously , Apple ? granted ipussy toys are popular. I just don't see apple making any leaps of change in video games , They have always been in the back of the track when it comes to games not at the forefront. and yes i am biased , am i a fanboy? no, do i hate apple though , most definitely. I do like PC , and i do like consoles. and i'l probably get all kinds of thumbs down from waht i'm going to say next , I did hate steve jobs as well as apple , it disgust me that teh prick upa nd dies and every news outlet otu there acts like he was some freaking genius or like he invented the pc by himself. HE WAS A BUISNESS man nothing more he was good at pushing a PR campiagn to rival any asshole we put in office (in the US) in the last 100 years. doesn't mean he ever really invented any thing new or unthought off. he was a self promoting smug bastard, that some how religiously beleived his shit smelled better than every other smug self promoting buisness man in the world. Now that he is dead i hope Apple follows suit. I sure as hell don't want to see a world where these assholes control the gaming market. the fact that valve places so much faith in apple kind of upsets me a little in regards to valve.[/citation]
Amen, brother! Wasn't it unreal how even Tom's was censoring comments the day Apple's CEO died? As if it was a national day of mourning for someone truly worthy of respect and admiration. Yes, Jobs was a smart guy, but anybody who picks up an Apple product and actually believes that Jobs had a hand in the technical knowhow is truly ignorant. 100% true that he was a PR genius - but then again so was Hitler...

teslafreakshow

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Hmm well seeing as apple already makes computers but barely any games exist on it why would anyone make games for their POS console.?

I can't stand apple and their ugly white rounded products. Their console controller will probably have a big ass round touch wheel on it like their trash music player did. I totally agree with whoever said all they do is re invent shit and act like its never been done before.

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
MW3 took more money in the same time as Avatar the movie... and these idots are saying console/pc gaming is dead? n00bs!

jcb82

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
What i'm thinking is that apple is going to create an integrated TV that is loaded with apps that can run games, apps etc. However, what will be more interesting, is their choice of interface. Will they go with control through your iphone or ipad? Or will they try to do gestures a la Kinect. My guess is the former.

If they do do games, it'll not be cloud based for same reasons, the consoles being released in 2013 will not be completely cloud based but hybrid systems.

Either way, you can be guaranteed that apple will be very successful at pulling this off, they'll focus on the simplicity of plugging in the TV to a power source and your internet with no additional "stress" of having to connect a console to your TV.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
TBH, I have steam.... on my computer.... hooked to my living room tv....

I think people with HTPC's will be crying old news, and have already had the revolution as soon as decent hardware became available.

It does the internet, communications, tv, games, movies.

I don't see what Apple can innovate other than just branding some existing product (NEVER seen that before)

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]"I suspect Apple will launch a living room product that redefines people's expectations really strongly and the notion of a separate console platform will disappear," I suspect newell is smoking some serious hardcore meth and crack !seriously , Apple ? granted ipussy toys are popular. I just don't see apple making any leaps of change in video games , They have always been in the back of the track when it comes to games not at the forefront. and yes i am biased , am i a fanboy? no, do i hate apple though , most definitely. I do like PC , and i do like consoles. and i'l probably get all kinds of thumbs down from waht i'm going to say next , I did hate steve jobs as well as apple , it disgust me that teh prick upa nd dies and every news outlet otu there acts like he was some freaking genius or like he invented the pc by himself. HE WAS A BUISNESS man nothing more he was good at pushing a PR campiagn to rival any asshole we put in office (in the US) in the last 100 years. doesn't mean he ever really invented any thing new or unthought off. he was a self promoting smug bastard, that some how religiously beleived his shit smelled better than every other smug self promoting buisness man in the world. Now that he is dead i hope Apple follows suit. I sure as hell don't want to see a world where these assholes control the gaming market. the fact that valve places so much faith in apple kind of upsets me a little in regards to valve.[/citation]

I completely agree. I was sick of all the press about Steve and his half-ass attempts and stolen innovations. What really killed my is that Dennis Ritchie's death was kinda of glazed over while Steve Job's death was supposedly the "End of an era."

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
This little something called an iPod re-wrote history and made people forget how Sony had the Walkman before it and now nobody buys a Sony Walkman.

There were dozens of superior mp3 players before iCrippled released the iPod and claimed with the help of the MSM that they invented the mp3 player. The Sony Walkman was a decidedly different device from an MP3 player. Apples contribution was to imprison its gullible fans in the iTune jail.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
[citation][nom]TomsSound[/nom]I think if Microsoft were to take their next version of XBOX and incorporate a Virtual machine into the system . Allow you to run windows, linux,and other OS's from the Virtual Machine. They could really change the PC market. Add true wireless keyboard and mouse support.They would not only control the 10 foot living room space... but the desktop as well.Imagine using the xbox as your pc.. and getting the benefits of both xbox and pc.I'm kinda suprised MS didnt do this already.. they have all of the tools to make this work and to make it very popular.[/citation]
This is already in the works and MS has already just about stated it so. Win8 is going to take them closer to this than ever before and MS already told us this. Win8 will have a very strong convergence to the 10ft experience and it speaks volumes to where the industry at least wants to head. Consumers will still be the judge, but this has all been foretold before. Apple would one day use PC based hardware, now does, Consoles would move towards being PC's, they now do, PC's would more towards being Consoles, they now are, tablets would fail then come back once hardware catches up, they did. It is all pretty obvious what would have and has happened really.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Its called appletv controlled via your ipad with an app store. Oh my god its revoultionary!!! I never saw or thought of that but apple did it again!!

phil kizer

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
With all the money Steam had to have made this holiday season with their massive sale, PC gaming isn't going ANYWHERE. Plus consoles just don't offer the customization options (skins, mods, etc.) or the visual capabilities to trounce PC gaming rigs and I doubt they ever will.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
"Open" games on an apple console will be similar to the crap you play on a phone. Finger swipy BS but with some controller. While that type of game can be entertaining while you're in the waiting room at the doc's office or while in "the study", they're decades behind any PC or console game.

They're cheap for the game publishers to produce and have no depth. The game publishers probably like the open concept. They see it as this, it's cheaper and easier to sell a $1 piece of crap to a million people, than to sell a $1,000,000 piece of brilliance to one person.

From a PC gamer's standpoint, it's many steps backward, but competition will force the publishers to get better over time.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I think when apple releases the new iTV or iLCD or whatever they will call thier Apple TV (the actual TV not the box that is currently on the market). I think they will include a game streaming service like onlive.

Just my guess...

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]itchyisvegeta[/nom]...PC makers are going to console games, cause that is where the money is...[/citation]
I agree that switching your business to another area will cause the money (revenue) to be derived from it, but what were you trying to say? I suspect that PC makers are going to console games BEcause that is where the money is. The word is, because. Cause means something that gives rise to an action. Because is a different word. It means: for the reason that.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Apple will just dumb down the existing technology so iTards can use it. It has been their MO from the beginning. The MP3 player existed before the iPod, the tablet existed before the iPad. They just take existing technology, package it nicely, mark the price 100% and make sure even mildly retarded people can use it.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Everyone look!!! Come buy this video game system with a last gen processor, last gen graphics, 20% of the games on the other systems, and a low price of $2000. If you hold the controller wrong it doesn't work but, that is your problem not apples. WAIT!!!!! Its white and shinny so its all forgiven. If you are thinking about buying this shinny turd, PLEASE, drink the stuff under your sink.

Cons29

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
apple will make a console, then a motion sensor and call it iMove then sue everyone for the sensor and say they invented the console as well.

apples console will have 8 corners then will sue the other console makers

Status
Not open for further replies.