Valve Interested in Getting DotA 2 on Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]vilenjan[/nom]if its tablet vs tablet? would be fun, tablet vs pc? prepare to be butchered.[/citation]
actually for point and click games like dota 2, I find that a tablet would be easier and faster. unless the pc is using an mmo mouse. dota 2 would work really well on tablets.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]cagi[/nom]Is already on Tablet -----> Windows 8. Maybe on Win RT (Surface RT KB + USB Mouse)[/citation]
the problem here isnt that it cant be on tablets now, but theres not a tablet as of yet that can run source engine quality. thatll take another gen or 2 of SoC.

tomsguide is a little buggy today, posts are taking a while to pop up.

fantasticles

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]actually for point and click games like dota 2, I find that a tablet would be easier and faster. unless the pc is using an mmo mouse. dota 2 would work really well on tablets.[/citation]

Don't mean to be rude but that's bullshit. There's no way a tablet without extra accessories (something similar to razer's project fiona can come anywhere near a PC's dota 2 gameplay level. Don't think you can really classify dota 2 as a point and click game cause that can be applied to almost every game in the market. Also I can't see how having an mmo mouse is the cutting edge point for PC's dota 2.

On the other hand a razer's project fiona type tablet can really work wonders, but with today's standard poke/swipe I don't really see how dota 2 can be played properly.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Fantasticles[/nom]Don't mean to be rude but that's bullshit. There's no way a tablet without extra accessories (something similar to razer's project fiona can come anywhere near a PC's dota 2 gameplay level. Don't think you can really classify dota 2 as a point and click game cause that can be applied to almost every game in the market. Also I can't see how having an mmo mouse is the cutting edge point for PC's dota 2.On the other hand a razer's project fiona type tablet can really work wonders, but with today's standard poke/swipe I don't really see how dota 2 can be played properly.[/citation]
but dota 2 is more of a point and click game than most games out today dude.

the reason I said its easier to play it on a tablet is because you get rid of the task of aiming. anyone whos played an moba knows how horrid it is to misclick the wrong command and screw up an entire strategy. its somewhat easier to point with your finger at the moveset bar than it is with a mouse.

my point about the mmo mouse was that you have plenty of buttons to map to your liking at your thumb. this makes gameplay alot faster. a big part of moba gameplay is that you need to pull of strategies and escapes fast. this is where an mmo mouse would be very helpful. and frankly I find playing this game with mouse AND keyboard to be a bit uncomfortable.

fantasticles

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]but dota 2 is more of a point and click game than most games out today dude. the reason I said its easier to play it on a tablet is because you get rid of the task of aiming. anyone whos played an moba knows how horrid it is to misclick the wrong command and screw up an entire strategy. its somewhat easier to point with your finger at the moveset bar than it is with a mouse. my point about the mmo mouse was that you have plenty of buttons to map to your liking at your thumb. this makes gameplay alot faster. a big part of moba gameplay is that you need to pull of strategies and escapes fast. this is where an mmo mouse would be very helpful. and frankly I find playing this game with mouse AND keyboard to be a bit uncomfortable.[/citation]

Well, you might as well list any fps / strategy (SC2 - Total War) / moba / rpg as a point and click game. The only thing you can't classify it as that would be any game with intensive use of the keybindings (MMO's) which you could just play as a "clicker".

As for feeling uncomfortable with a mouse+keyboard, don't know what to say. To each his own? Although you might as well just pick up a controller or just bind everything to your MMO mouse I guess. One of the big reasons I'm a PC gamer myself is cause I find the mouse+keyboard combination as the most superior-comfortable-customizable.

linh6496

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]but dota 2 is more of a point and click game than most games out today dude. the reason I said its easier to play it on a tablet is because you get rid of the task of aiming. anyone whos played an moba knows how horrid it is to misclick the wrong command and screw up an entire strategy. its somewhat easier to point with your finger at the moveset bar than it is with a mouse. my point about the mmo mouse was that you have plenty of buttons to map to your liking at your thumb. this makes gameplay alot faster. a big part of moba gameplay is that you need to pull of strategies and escapes fast. this is where an mmo mouse would be very helpful. and frankly I find playing this game with mouse AND keyboard to be a bit uncomfortable.[/citation]

Really I do not know about your "experience" with the MOBA genre but perceivably you do not understand how MOBA works; any novice Dota 2 or LoL player would verbally bash you for saying how you can misclick the wrong command. Clicking in a MOBA is required as a tool for mainly for repositioning your character while the commands that you give out are done through the keyboard. Which mean, you seem to falsely propose that it would be easier to play Dota 2 on a tablet when you clearly do not have any experience of the game genre at all to know about the playstyle of the game.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
[citation][nom]Fantasticles[/nom]Well, you might as well list any fps / strategy (SC2 - Total War) / moba / rpg as a point and click game. The only thing you can't classify it as that would be any game with intensive use of the keybindings (MMO's) which you could just play as a "clicker".As for feeling uncomfortable with a mouse+keyboard, don't know what to say. To each his own? Although you might as well just pick up a controller or just bind everything to your MMO mouse I guess. One of the big reasons I'm a PC gamer myself is cause I find the mouse+keyboard combination as the most superior-comfortable-customizable.[/citation]
SC2 doesn't use extensive keybindings?

Welcome to Bronze League. Enjoy your stay.

fantasticles

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]WithoutWeakness[/nom]SC2 doesn't use extensive keybindings?Welcome to Bronze League. Enjoy your stay.[/citation]

You're misunderstanding my point as I was responding to the classification of a ~15 constant keybind usage game as a "point and click game". Rarely do you find a non-MMO game with over 30 keybinds in use.

Moop69

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I play DotA 2 fairly frequently and I can tell you that DotA on a tablet is a pretty awful idea. You at the very least need 4 keys for all your skills, 2-4ish keys for your activatable items depending on what you have, a key to let you deny, a key to ping and a key for voice chat. It's obviously not as intensive as starcraft, but tapping a button to activate your skill and then trying to tap to aim it while you're running and chasing somebody would be terrible.

I'd love to see somebody try to play Invoker on a tablet. It's 4 key presses to change between his skills(possibly less if you manage your orbs well) and when you're high level, you can and should be changing every 5(or 2 if you have a certain item) seconds when you're fighting.

Unless they plan on only having Skeleton King available on this version. SK can be played with two fingers.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
[citation][nom]Fantasticles[/nom]You're misunderstanding my point as I was responding to the classification of a ~15 constant keybind usage game as a "point and click game". Rarely do you find a non-MMO game with over 30 keybinds in use.[/citation]
I don't think Dota 2 or any other MOBA game would work well on a tablet as-is but I can see it working if a solution is properly engineered with gaming in mind. An external controller similar to Project Fiona or possibly something entirely different could be a great solution. A touchscreen takes over all the functions of a mouse click. An analog stick (a la Fiona) and multiple buttons can be fitted to a one-handed controller to control other functions. Fiona had the controllers affixed to the sides of the screen but there's nothing forcing that and they could be removable and fit in your hand the same way the Wii's nunchucks do.

Tablets as they exist now will work great for some games and absolutely won't work for others. However I see no reason why properly-designed controls couldn't get Dota 2 or LoL or any other MOBA running on tablets (assuming the game is ported and the hardware is sufficient).

fantasticles

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]WithoutWeakness[/nom]I don't think Dota 2 or any other MOBA game would work well on a tablet as-is but I can see it working if a solution is properly engineered with gaming in mind. An external controller similar to Project Fiona or possibly something entirely different could be a great solution. A touchscreen takes over all the functions of a mouse click. An analog stick (a la Fiona) and multiple buttons can be fitted to a one-handed controller to control other functions. Fiona had the controllers affixed to the sides of the screen but there's nothing forcing that and they could be removable and fit in your hand the same way the Wii's nunchucks do.Tablets as they exist now will work great for some games and absolutely won't work for others. However I see no reason why properly-designed controls couldn't get Dota 2 or LoL or any other MOBA running on tablets (assuming the game is ported and the hardware is sufficient).[/citation]

I said the same thing earlier:

[citation][nom]Fantasticles[/nom] There's no way a tablet without extra accessories (something similar to razer's project fiona can come anywhere near a PC's dota 2 gameplay level.[/citation] .
[citation][nom]Fantasticles[/nom]On the other hand a razer's project fiona type tablet can really work wonders, but with today's standard poke/swipe I don't really see how dota 2 can be played properly.[/citation]

tom85

Honorable
Feb 12, 2012
[citation][nom]vilenjan[/nom]if its tablet vs tablet? would be fun, tablet vs pc? prepare to be butchered.[/citation]
^ this! might not be that much of an issue in beginners match, but the better you get at it the bigger the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.