Verizon Teases Android Skype Users with Wi-Fi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

h2o_skiman

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I just returned from Russia. I knew my Droid-X would not work there, because it CDMA based. But I thought I could still use Skype over wi-fi, but it would not let me.

I understand Verizon's reasoning, but the option should be there, if there is no 3G CDMA service available, allow Skype to use wi-fi.

My friend's HTC in Russia, can use Skype over wi-fi to not pay for data usage.

G

The wireless industry is highly competitive. There are a lot of Carriers in the U.S. If they allowed users to use skype everywhere, then their revenue would go down, and rates would go up. (or more than likely, the HUGE discount that you get on the phone when you sign-up, would go away. Yes the devices really do cost several hundred dollars, but the carrier pays for it because they make up for it over the term of your contract)

So, they are not screwing you, they are trying to stay competitive in the market and make a profit without having to raise rates. So if every carrier allowed this, then rates would go up.

If you want to use Skype on a device, then pay the full retail price for an unlocked phone from another country and you can. If you want to use a cheap subsidized phone from Verizon, then you play by their rules.

G

I think you can use the regular Skype (not the skype mobile). I put my DROID X on airplane mode which I think disables the 3g ( am I wrong about that???) and was able to use Skype over the WiFi. I am trying to make sure that when i go to Mexico next month i can use skype without incurring roaming and long distance charges via Verizon. Any comments or suggestions appreaciated.......

javscade

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Aw man, I just created this account to say my two cents! First of all Verizon you suck for trying to pull a fast one on us! I obviously had the same problem. Working down in Mexico with my brand new Droid X and come to find I cant skype on wifi!!! what a jip! I got my co-worker on the Iphone chatting away like if its something STANDARD on his network! So I drop Verizon for Att with the new Dell Streak and got screwed on my data plan for the first month of over $1000!! So now Im dropping them to find something better, but I only share this with you because if Verizon gave access to skype thru wifi, I wouldnt be in this position today! Thanks a F-ing lot! I am diggin the Thunderbolt HTC, but to get caught in your web again.... You Can Forget About IT! YOu HEAR? Venting complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.