Verizon Tiered Data Plans Will Start at $30/2GB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

As hypocritical as it is to say this I'm glad I'm not on Verizon! Granted, I am on AT&T which is just as bad, but at least I'm grandfathered in at Unlimited Plan with "free tethering". I know that we live in a time of big government and we don't want to hurt private industry, but the FCC should pressure all carriers to sell phones that fully integrate call over WiFi. I have an iPhone 3g. Sure I can switch it over to wifi, but I can't call with just wifi so my phone is not fully independent. If people buy phones without a contract those phones should all be unlocked, the price difference should be more than enough to ask for that.

Only if us people could get our money pooled together, contact a phone manufacture to produce a phone that we want, allow that phone to run fully operation whether it is on WiFi or on a carrier network. Set up WiFi hot spots for public use to our only our exclusive phones so we don't have huge infrastructure costs. By doing this we could have a great phone and not be paying 2+ times to connect to the internet. It doesn't make sense to pay Comcast $30/mo for 15Mbps with a 250GB data cap and pay $30 to AT&T for a 5GB cap.

Hell, lets get all the cable companies into the smart phone business. That way companies like Comcast, Quest, etc. can directly compete with Verizon and AT&T. We all know that they're already duking it out under the table anyways. If AT&T&T is making a smaller market, lets get more competition!

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I guess a lot of ppl got tricked into switching from AT&T to Verizon, just couple months ago. And now, they're in the same boat as ppl in AT&T. What a joke!
I guess that tiered data plan would soon trickled into most carriers in the U.S. So for those who think it's a safe heaven with Sprint... well think again. :p

G

You know, people will just complain about this all day. But when it comes down to it, nobody is going to do anything about it. If people actually took a stand and moved to a new carrier or let their contract expire then dump their smartphone it would put a big enough hurt on verizon for them to make some changes. But people are stupid and will just keep shelling out money and complaining about it.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]Well, seeing as how AT&T is the devil and now Verizon wants to be the rich man's game...Here we come Sprint! My buddy just switched from AT&T to Sprint and is paying way less for way more. Think I may be joining him when my VZW contract comes up even though I'm technically grandfathered in. Sprint seems to be the last of the national carriers that cares about not robbing its customers blind.[/citation]

This totally sucks! I'm a current T-Mo customer with an unlimited data plan (a VERY fast connection at that!) and I've already got the stupid merger bullpuckey to deal with potentially forcing me off the ONLY carrier I've ever used, and now one of my two last remaining options has jacked up their prices through the roof.

The merger hasn't even been approved and yet the wireless companies are acting as if there is no competition and they can just jack up the prices all they want. I guess that leaves me with Sprint or... Sprint. Hmm, not cool.

ares1214

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Im on T-Mobile because they are cheaper, have good coverage in my area, 4G, and great phones. AT&T might just ruin that. No way Im going back to AT&T, and now, NO WAY I'm going back to Verizon, those prices are outrageous, not to mention Verizon is already extra expensive. Sprint and true unlimited, here I come (if T-Mobile is gobbled up).

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
" Droid Life also reports that current customers with unlimited data will have it for life."
Is that the life of the phone or the life of me?

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]rawoysters[/nom]" Droid Life also reports that current customers with unlimited data will have it for life."Is that the life of the phone or the life of me?[/citation]
They mean until the cost of their service kills you...

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
As tech as I can be, I'm also cheap. Only started using a smartphone in April because I refused to pay those outrageous data fees. I saw a smartphone for $55 on newegg and wondered why it was so cheap. Digging into the reviews, I saw people were using them with a prepaid company called Page Plus Cellular. I looked into it and finally found my perfect carrier. Its a BYOD and they lease airspace from Verizon. So any Verizon phone (they won't take Blackberry or retail prepaid phones right now) easily activates. Since it's prepaid, I can say screw you if you try to screw me. Now here's the great part. $30/mo gets me 1200 minutes/2000 text/100mb of data. While a 100mb isn't a lot, its enough if you're near wifi regularly for app downloads and OTA for email and gps navigation. I picked up a used LG Ally for $50, 16gb mSD card for $15, and now I have a rocking smartphone for $30/mo.

Not sure how Verizon changing their data fee structure will effect PPC, but there's a big announcement for a new plan soon, hopefully with more data. Check them out if you're tired of spending a car payment every other month on your phone.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Oh, and it might take a while, but lets hope LightSquared can add some reasonable competition once they get their network off the ground. Might start by the end of the year.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]The Greater Good[/nom]Yeah, but see... everything else is cheaper here in the States. Gas, Food, electronics... So yeah, we pay more for cell usage... but everything else cost less than it does in most parts of the world. One thing being more expensive vs. everything but that one thing. Which do I pick? Hummmmmm...[/citation]

Uh, you got that figured wrong there. Gas cost more in Europe, but the cars get better mileage and the distances are shorter because the cities are not so stretched out like here.
Ah yes, and the per capita net income in Europe is higher than here once you figure in the cost of vacation time, college education funds and HEALTH care !

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Metro PCS: $60 per month unlimited 4G plan (phone only, no tethering). Phones are $300 Samsung's (one is an android model).
Milleniumcom (3G data only plans), usb stick on laptop: 20gb on Verizon network = $59.99 per month, 50gb plan on Sprint network = $69.99 per month ($165 equipment/start-up fees).

If you live in a Metro PCS 4G area, this an alternative. You'll get more than enough data to use for $120 - $130 per month.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
If GSM phone somehow works with Sprint's network I will jump over no questions asked.

but at current pace ... I probably gonna jump anyway ---- just till my contract is up.

and I will keep my GSM phone (Nokia N8) just in case I need to go somewhere else. I never roam anyway.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
for the record, I'm with T-mobile right now, let's just hope that the merger fails so I can stay.

fuxking AT&T now Verizon ... getting more for less. good job !

dhvd79a

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
My plan, after my contract was up was to move to the less expensive fixed GB plan(don't remember the exact numbers). I find I end up using wi-fi for most of my data needs so planned to save a few bucks. Gues I'll stay with my 30/unlimited. My 17% discount helps a little.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
If they don't Grandfather you in: Ask for a brand new phone for free or $350.00, which is what they would hit you for an early termination fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.