Very random freezing?

Nixia

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
Hey,

I have a kind of odd problem. I have a Samsung RF711 with a Samsung EVO SDD. It worked fine in till about a week ago.

First chrome kept 'not responding' randomly. My file explorer kept 'not responding' when selecting random files (mostly in my dropbox folder). It either worked eventually or I restarted.

I had some rare graphical glitches where I opened chrome or VS2013
- black boxes where appearing - but minimising and maximising the window fixed this.

Memtest was fine, Samsung magician said my HDD was fine. So I reinstalled my OS.

It was still being randomly slow, I had one black box, and my vpn client kept making the laptop lock up completely (so I had to force reboot by holding the power down) so I uninstalled Kaspersky and Onenote which seem to help (not sure which one). I think windows update may have fixed the vpn thing. All of yesterday it worked fine. :bounce:

As I had not tried a game yet, I decided to test the graphics card this morning so I used haven benchmark. As usual when benchmarked my 540M reached the stupid temp of 95 degrees c (although it ran the test fine) but when I tried to install coretemp half my system froze again :/. I could select google chrome, but not open the system tray and when it got stuck on the start screen I had to force reboot again. (my idle core temp is 60 - it has had new thermal paste and is sat on a cooling mat etc, but it is a terrible design - yes the paste is applied properly).

The problem is so very intermittent I dont know where to start diagnosing it.... It does not seem to be SSD or RAM. My laptop is usually pretty responsive.

Nixia

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
Just a thought - I had to get a new charger. I was a bit disappointed but the only one with good reviews interfered with my external monitor (caused lines/noise on the screen as the VGA port is next to the power port). Shortly after the laptop stopped powering on by battery. The laptop is 3 years old, so I was not surprised the battery died initially. It now always says - 94% full, still charging. Could this have an affect on the freezing? Not supplying the right voltage or similar (power supplies I know nothing about)?