Very Specific Camera Needs...

Apr 9, 2018
I stream Tabletop miniatures games and am having trouble finding a camera that will give me very sharp focus throughout the entire FoV. The camera is placed about 24" above and 12" behind the 3'x3' game surface at about a 50 degree angle down.

These games involve dice with special characters and it has been a real challenge to be able to achieve a nice sharp focus so that the image is as good as of standing next to the table. The rooms have varying light conditions, but I have LED light boxes that adequately light the play surface.

I am using a Canon Vixia hf G40 right now, but i still have depth of field challenges. Will I need to significantly upgrade my camera to get what I'm looking for, or am i just not setting things up right?

Here's a recent stream that is pretty good so you can see what I mean.

https://youtu.be/uGUlBGG0qkk

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Solution
Depth of field is a function of aperture. Aperture is a function of brightness. If you can manually set the aperture to a small size (high number) then you will get greatest depth of field. But you may need even more light to compensate for the small diameter aperture. Could you use a second camera specifically for the dice (by controlling the area then can bounce (like a craps table) ? Put that camera perpendicular to the table top so that depth of field isn't as critical. That then creates the problem of merging the video streams.

kanewolf

Judicious
Depth of field is a function of aperture. Aperture is a function of brightness. If you can manually set the aperture to a small size (high number) then you will get greatest depth of field. But you may need even more light to compensate for the small diameter aperture. Could you use a second camera specifically for the dice (by controlling the area then can bounce (like a craps table) ? Put that camera perpendicular to the table top so that depth of field isn't as critical. That then creates the problem of merging the video streams.

Solution