Video Chat Apparently Illegal on Planes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
People need to stop caring about the whole terrorism crap, its getting annoying.

This is exactly what motivates terrorism, but if we don't react WE win.

But if things continue to go down this patch, there will be a need to feed the tree of liberty (not with water) in a few years.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
United Airlines does seem to have some bad policies. If you haven't seen the music video "United Breaks Guitars", do yourself a favour and watch it:
http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=United+Breaks+Guitars&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=AGCaS9eNEcT48AajxJmlDg&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CA4QqwQwAA#

Sadly, they don't come across as customer friendly these days. Too bad, as they used to be really good.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Hey if it's a tech-related and it -might- interfere with flight safety and I'm an ignorant or a tech dummy, I would want that person to stop doing it too. Wouldn't you?

Someguyperson

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Battelle said that an associate at the State Department looked into the matter, and said that she couldn't find any government rule against video chatting on a plane.

Sorry to point this out, but it's a man, baby!

dan-fish

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
[citation][nom]someguyperson[/nom]Sorry to point this out, but it's a man, baby![/citation]

Do you know how to read? its saying the person he asked said it. Which could be male or female!

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]someguyperson[/nom]Sorry to point this out, but it's a man, baby![/citation]
Ahh yes. The wily and elusive Man Baby! Pelts sell for bank!!!!$ :D

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I don't know why they're bugging about video chat atleast then you can hear what the people are planning. You can organize things using MSN messanger or Facebook just as easily without anyone being able to tell what your doing. People are SOOO unbelievably stupid.

G

Hello United, you have had phones on your planes for years. Those are two way communications devices too.

Most likely they just want you to keep using their expensive phones.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
As I recall, it was "2 way devices communicating with the ground" that allowed the passengers of United Airlines flight 93 to find out about the other 911 attacks, thus prompting them to heroically stop the terrorists from crashing the plain into (presumably) the U.S. Capitol or other such building.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
[citation][nom]nekatreven[/nom]I blame the airline if their manual really says no two-way communication with the ground and yet they allow wifi. How uninformed can you be?On the other hand, I consider it to be the flight attendant's job to follow the rules they are given. I'd actually say props to her for knowing her stuff to such detail...despite the obvious contradictions in the policy.[/citation]

lol, sexist. The article says it was a guy, not a girl to give props to.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
So no two-way communication. Um...so what's the point of a plane having WiFi, then? Isn't an internet connection basically a "handshake?" I could coordinate a terrorist attack on my cell phone, too. That's a two-way communication. They do allow cell phone usage. What a stupid policy. I'm sure any terrorist will already know what he's doing when onboard and not need any form of communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.