Video Editing Laptop for ~$1300 USD - Recommendations?

FarNerdy

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
I'm looking to purchase a laptop that will assist with video editing when I'm on the road. This will NOT be my primary video editor and will only be used when I need to edit while away from my desktop powerhouse machine. But I still want to have some of the bells and whistles of a higher-end laptop. I don't travel often, but enough that I think it's time I find a machine that I can bring with me to edit while I'm away.

I've been sent these recommendations thus far:
Dell Inspiron i7559-7512GRY - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PZ0EHS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2MR9IZAMBN988&coliid=I241XMMT9FC7RU&psc=1

Asus Zenbook Pro UX501VW - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232930&cm_re=ASUS_ZenBook_Pro_UX501VW-_-34-232-930-_-Product

I like the 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M in the Dell. But I sincerely appreciate the Thunderbolt 3 ports on the ASUS. The Dell lacks the Thunderbolt ports, but the ASUS only has a 2GB GTX 960M in it. Otherwise, specs are pretty much the same. Price is a big difference as well.

I've also heard things about how the ASUS UX501 series and the Dell Inspiron 4K series both fail to actually reach the advertised UHD resolution. Each of these machines fall in both of those series.

So I'm here for advice. See my form below.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations and assistance.

* **Total budget and country of purchase:**
$1300 USD (before tax), United States

* **Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications to your requirements for the money? Pick or include any that apply.**
I don't want a 2-in-1 (no need for the tablet hybrid), although I've heard that the Surface Book is a good machine. So - if you think it's worth it, by all means recommend one, but a 2-in-1 is not a priority. At this time, performance is priority for my money. Battery life isn't too important as I will most likely always have it plugged in while doing big projects away from home.

* **How important is weight to you?**
The lighter, the better. If I can keep it under 6 lbs., I'm a happy buyer.

* **Which OS do you require? Windows, Linux, Mac.**
Windows PC only. I've researched the Mac road and don't want to go down that path.

* **Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.**
Not 13". Preferably 15", but I would consider 17" if it's a good deal/machine/buy.

* **Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. If you have no requirements, put N/A.**
Video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas, editing 1080 videos (no 4K...yet), along with sound/music editing with Adobe Audition and photo editing with Adobe Photoshop. Possibly some light gaming if I get bored while away. Nothing too heavy performance required though.

* **If you're gaming (leave blank if you put N/A above...), do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?**
I'd be fine at Medium settings and 60 fps.

* **Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable business grade build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?**
Touch screen would be nice to have if available, but otherwise I just want a reliable machine that I can count on to take me far for a good few years. I don't want to have to replace this next year.

* **Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.**
Any and all recommendations or welcome, especially if you have a good reason. I'm open to anything really, I just want to make sure I invest in something solid.

Thank you!