Video Editing; what software, what platform

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
My daughter needs to develop training videos for her website and for distribution on CD, and has asked me for advice.
As a builder of PCs she hoped I would have some constructive input, but, sadly, I know nothing of video editing.
So I began learning, but have discovered that there are too many variables,so, I ask the pros here to help sort this out.

She has heard that Mac is what the pros use, but, if that is true...does she really need what the pros use?
Adobe Premier seems expensive for someone starting out. but if it is easy to learn maybe it is worth it for her.
Does it matter - PC or Mac. If so, why?
What IS the best software and hardware for this?

Thanks all! :)

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished
Is your daughter making money from these videos? That may make a difference in how professional they need to be. I know a few professional videographers, and some do you Macs, and others hate Premier and insists that Avid tools are the only ones to use!

I would begin using the software that came with the video camera and go from there. If she gets hooked she can spend the big money on fancy tools later and have a better idea what she needs.