VIDEO: First iPad Commercial Airs During Oscars

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambictus

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]I will never buy Apple. None of their hand held devices are upgradable (cant replace battery or increase memory). Want more memory for your iPhone?...you have to get a new phone. Want more memory for that iPod?...to bad, got to get a new iPod.... Good luck getting new batteries.. Screw that.[/citation]

I'm not sure I'm aware of any phones or music players that allow memory upgrades, the battery thing is certainly annoying. Although with the right tools and enough tenacity you can replace it as well.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
In my opinion, I can't see the appeal in this device.

Apple shows what appears to be a photo album in the commercial, but how the hell do you import pictures from a camera without a card reader slot or USB ports?

It looks to be media centric device - so where is the Webcam/Mic for Video/Chat calls?

Furthermore, how well is thing gadget going to withstand 3'+ drops?

Maybe I'm rushing to judgment, but will hold further observations until doomsday.... pardon me, April 3rd.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
I'm more annoyed that Steve Jobs has made it his crusade to not put Flash on any of his devices, and keeps touting HTML5. HTML5 doesn't have any serious video standards as of yet, and as far as I can tell, there are no ways to lock off content from being picked off a site, which means no Hulu anytime soon. And for the Apple haters, I bet all of you in 1 year the iPad will have outsold all tablet PCs combined.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]ambictus[/nom]I'm not sure I'm aware of any phones or music players that allow memory upgrades,[/citation]

I have a Sansa MP3 player that has a MicroSD slot in it. I'm positive it'll read 8GB cards, not sure of higher. Further, can swap the battery out and it doesn't require iTunes. I love it.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]ambictus[/nom]I'm not sure I'm aware of any phones or music players that allow memory upgrades, the battery thing is certainly annoying. Although with the right tools and enough tenacity you can replace it as well.[/citation]

+1.

you cant replace/upgrade storage size in a mp3/mobile phone. Although what you can do is (with most mp3s and phones) expand the storage using a sd / micro sd card.

dtm4trix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Apple and Steve Jobs can kiss my A$$ if they think I am shelling out that kind of cash for an over grown iPod touch with a closed OS and no flash support. FU Apple!

dtm4trix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]ambictus[/nom]I'm not sure I'm aware of any phones or music players that allow memory upgrades, the battery thing is certainly annoying. Although with the right tools and enough tenacity you can replace it as well.[/citation]

Most of the new smart phones on the market today can upgrade their memory. The Droid for instance comes with a 16GB micro sd card. You can pull that one out and put in a new one if you wish. You can change it to a 32GB sd card if you want. I call that fully upgradeable. Unlike the iPhone.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]realitycheck_18[/nom]It's an exciting time for Apple haters! Another opportunity to call people ignorant and feel superior, with no basis. Meanwhile Apple will roll out a big hit that hits a new market spot on.[/citation]

New market? Tablets have been around for a long time. It might expand a market, but it's definitely not creating one. I would imagine 90% of that expanded market has no use for an iPad, they'll just buy what Apple tells them to.

jhalf

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
the guy that said he wasn't aware of memory upgrades was obviously talking about system memore... just a miscommunication

realitycheck_18

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Similar to Microsoft, Apple does not invent much new. They excel at packaging existing technologies together in a very usable way. Years ago people would say the iPhone brought nothing new, but clearly they execute well. Yes you can buy a tablet PC today but you don't find a company marketing well a device you can watch movies on, surf with, e-read with, etc. You can probably do all those things on another device, but Apple will package it well and make the content easier to access and work with.

Ambictus, people don't want to read books on an iTouch, the screen is too small. It doesn't mean people are blind.

Hate Apple and the device all you want, but if people were willing to pay $300 to $500 for a black and white Kindle book reader, many will pay $200 more for a device that does a lot more in color.

Will I buy one? Yes. Second generation. Not because I'm stupid, not because Apple controls my mind. Just because I find a use for it that is not met by another package today. If I find a competitive package that meets my needs, I'll get that instead.

In closing, why all the hate? If someone wants to buy a device, fine let them. If someone doesn't want to, fine. There's no reason to call people idiots because your consumer habits are different. Is Apple evil for making a profit? Is everyone who buys from Apple stupid because Apple made a profit? If so then everyone who pays for any software is stupid because you can find something that does about the same thing for free, right?

Relax, live and let live.

G

The real problem with the iPad is that it won't be compatible with Windows Me.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
realitycheck_18, a few issues.

We do have a company marketing a device you can watch movies on, surf the web with, and e-read...it's called a computer. When the apple bookstore is released as part of itunes, I will not be limited to reading those books on an iPad, if apple is smart.

People don't want to read books on an iTouch because it is too small, and no one will want to read books on the iPad because it is back-lit and will strain your eyes.

Hopefully it will make it to second generation, if it does than it's not much of a gamble for you at that point.

As for hating mac, I don't hate mac, i think it is the best thing that has happened for the PC industry because good competition allows for all products to improve overall, so I win no matter what as the consumer. I am sure my viewpoint is not unique on hating the iPad. I don't hate it because it is Apple, I hate it because it is not improving anything as far as I can see. It is apples way to make a quick buck without being innovative. There is nothing new with the iPad, so it is not helping the market as a whole become more technologically advanced.

It doesn't even have usb support, and it doesn't have any way to transmit the picture to any type of bigger screen, so I am supposed to be excited about watching a 1080p movie on a 10 inch screen? are you crazy? it wouldn't look any different than dvd quality at that size...

Also the people that are vehemently defending the iPad irritate me.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]realitycheck_18[/nom]It's an exciting time for Apple haters! Another opportunity to call people ignorant and feel superior, with no basis. Meanwhile Apple will roll out a big hit that hits a new market spot on.[/citation]

Really market for rich snobs that spend it on stupid things? Last time i checked that just a small % of the population.

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Last I checked, there were 3 available or close to release tablet convertible netbooks. The Lenovo S10-3T and ASUS T91 are both avaliable at or below $500, that's the same or lower price then the cheapest Ipad last I checked. There's also the Viliv S10 at $699, cheaper then half the Ipad models.

The main disadvantage to me would be the battery life the convertibles have. But I personally think the abilities of the machines make up for the battery life more then the Apple brand and style of the iPad.

What abilities? Let's name a few:
Multitasking, Flash, larger storage space, video camera.

"less" important ones:
More ports, actual keyboard, less restrictive OS, ability to add removable storage(SD cards, and so on)

Also, things that both it and the iPad can do:
read eBooks, play music, play videos, calender, surf the web, display pictures.....

But, to each his own.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]tipmen[/nom]Really market for rich snobs that spend it on stupid things? Last time i checked that just a small % of the population.[/citation]
Why would you care so much on how other people spend their money... Is that why you are so bitter and sarcastic, or is it plain jealousy?

Status
Not open for further replies.