VIDEO: George Takei Blown Away by 4-color TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
The Problem is colour depth per channel, an 8-bit display has 256 gradients per channel in RGB 24-bit displays, most TV's will accept 10-bit input, giving 30-bit input, but the display still only handles 256 levels of red, green and blue colour channels. If lets, say there was 16-bit per channel, there would be 65,536 levels of grey per RGB channel, which would create a far deeper colour depth, but would also create a 48-bit colour space, which is way more data per frame of video. This extra channel is just an 8-bit colour depth work around and I don't think it's worth while.

counselmancl

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis Crysis

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

eaclou

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
How does this work if the input signal is still only providing RGB values? I don't know ANY cameras that record a yellow channel, OR file formats that do.

In theory this could provide slightly more colors by having a square-gamut instead of triangular, but Cyan would probably be more useful for that purpose than yellow. google CIE xyY diagram

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Okay, I saw the commercial, and I laughed ("Oh my!"). The science of RGB displays aside...was I suppose to catch a racism joke in the commercial? A Japanese actor spouting the greatness of "Yellow." If so I missed it, and I am a better person for it...I think...am I not racist enough to get the joke? So confused.

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
This is a small step in the eventual adoption to thousands of colors per pixel(for instance mapping each individual color by angstrom in the visible spectrum). What would really be nice tho is some colors for the violet reproduction since we don't really have that with the RGB model however I guess the markeing dpt thinks Y is more popular.

Still, it's definatly the right way to do since to get sufficient amount of indisinguisble color you will need enough unique elements heating to several thousand degrees(ie visible pixel color) that will behave very close to a blackbody(although you never have a perfect blackbody...).

As for actual content, this will take quite some time since alot of color recalibration would have to be done(shot in quad pixel technology). Hopefully some quad pixel computer monitors will eventually show up(crossing fingers).

G

If I recall corectly humans eye can only detect 3 colors. RED, GREEN and BLUE. All other colors are combination of these 3, that humans brain interpretates.There are no receptors in humans eye that can detect yellow light.So natural qyestion. How can I tell that qality of picture is better if I cant see it , unless it is a combination of 3 colors.

iceman-gr

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
Just an advertising trick if you think:

The human eye uses ONLY 3 color sensors. (Red Green Blue)
The 4th (yellow) will just stimulate Red and Green sensors at the same time.
No reason for that, especially if you want to have larger color gamut.

They also claim:
Classic RGB * 8bit = 1024 * 1024 * 1024 = 1 million colors
Their YRGB * 8bit = 1024 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 = 1 billion colors

Yeah right!
If you want more colors you just have to use more bits.
eg:
10 bit color = 4096 * 4096 * 4096 = 68 million colors or
11 bit color = 8192 * 8192 * 8192 = 550 billion colors or
12 bit color = 16384 * 16384 * 16384 = 4,4 trillion colors or

Who's fooling who?

G

You are a litle wrong. Yellow color wont stimulate red and green sensors. You simply wont be able to see that color. Yellow that we see is always combination of 3 colors red blue and green. We cant see color that is actually yellow only the combintion.

abhik

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
I thought of this years ago. given that the components of colour (not light) are RYB, it made sense for me that tvs should also be capable of using a pure yellow channel, but everytime i brought this up, i was dismissed as "not getting it" or something along those lines...

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]iceman-gr[/nom]Damn, my math was completely wrong!!! where is that EDIT button?[/citation]

go to the top of the comments and click "read comments on the forums" then edit your comment there

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]abhik[/nom]I thought of this years ago. given that the components of colour (not light) are RYB, it made sense for me that tvs should also be capable of using a pure yellow channel, but everytime i brought this up, i was dismissed as "not getting it" or something along those lines...[/citation]

they were right... red green and blue are all you really need to make all colors when you add in different levels of black and white to each of those three you can make any color. in hex (rrggbb), yellow is #FFFF00 or full on red plus full on green. It doesnt work the same as paint does in art class sry.

bp 4575

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Why not CMYK? I'm not pretending I know an extensive amount about televisions. Or does RGBY make more colours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS