VIDEO: Google's Thorough Tour of Android 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
Am I the only one completely uninterested in tablets? I don't understand all the hype. They cost a lot and don't appear to offer any additional functionality or features over a traditional mobile device, such as a laptop.

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Nightsilver[/nom]Am I the only one completely uninterested in tablets? I don't understand all the hype. They cost a lot and don't appear to offer any additional functionality or features over a traditional mobile device, such as a laptop.[/citation]
It's OK Nightsilver your not the only one. (pats on back)

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Nightsilver[/nom]Am I the only one completely uninterested in tablets? I don't understand all the hype. They cost a lot and don't appear to offer any additional functionality or features over a traditional mobile device, such as a laptop.[/citation]

Personally I feel net books offer a lot more value than tablets, as you mentioned these tablets cost a pretty penny and don't really offer much more than your standard smartphone. (Actually I'd say smartphones offer more versatility since they still have the "phone" part in them).

It feels to be a market simply because its something new and different, not because its something useful.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
$500 is to much money,I guess we will have to wait a couple of years for these to come down in price.

Hopefully now that every company is making them the price might drop faster.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Didn't they try to do tablets a few years back? It didn't work out too well for them back then, why are they trying it again? I think in the future it's going to eventually boil down just having one small device that does all your computing. Carry it around as a communication device, connect to your big screen at home and all your periferals. You can almost do that now. Smartphones are getting pretty powerful.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I never used to care about tablets as well.
Until I found out there are 5-7 inch versions that has real "desktop" like browsing while able to make normal phone GSM/SMS calls.
Now I expect all (good) smart-phones to have tablet like functionality.

Yes, I will still rather use a netbook for anything that requires typing or sniping.

G

You might not interested in tablets, nor me... But tablets are for information consumers, not creators: People that browses pages, reads mails, ebooks, watch youtube videos or browse their silly photos. At most they type a Facebook update, tweets and quick answers mails. If you need to express things beyond three line paragraphs probably tablets aren't for you. But I understand there's a huge market for uthe se cases mentioned above. The IPad sales speak for themselves.

G

Tablets are cool, useful, and "magical" because apple says they are. I personally don't see the point. I'd rather watch TV on a "TV" (imagine!) and do real computing tasks on a "computer" (what the?) and for on-the-go needs, I have my "smartphone" (angry birds!)

Yep, like everyone here, not sure what the hype is about. Tablets are cool, but I ain't carrying one around with me. If I need a computer, I'll bring my little net book along.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Keep trolling people, but it's getting old.
People like tablets and they use them. No matter how you look at it, they are taking over the market share from the netbooks.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
People like tablets and they use them. No matter how you look at it, they are taking over the market share from the netbooks.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

apoq

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I am surprised the really techy people don't really like the idea of slates. I could easily imagine moving my casual browsing, music listening, photo watching and book/article reading to such a device and I hope they mature enough so it does make sense to spend that pretty penny on them.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
[citation][nom]apoq[/nom]I am surprised the really techy people don't really like the idea of slates. I could easily imagine moving my casual browsing, music listening, photo watching and book/article reading to such a device and I hope they mature enough so it does make sense to spend that pretty penny on them.[/citation]
For me, I expect to do all that on my phone.. I want the phone capable enough so I don't need another tablet for what you described. Maybe a 5 inch screen doesn't make comfortable reading, but at least it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.