VIDEO: Hands On with the Samsung Nexus Prime

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nugenttw

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
[citation][nom]SpartanStang14[/nom]Dear Mr. Genius Insider,Maybe you should do more research and read more critically before trying to call out Tom's and make them look bad. You quoted the OLD rumored specs. Plus, they never said it had the same CPU as the iPad. It has the same GPU. Do you ever get anything right?[/citation]

Yes, I quoted the old rumored specs because they are much more likely. A 1.5 GHz cpu and an 8 MP camera are possible, but I discount those because they come with an impossible spec, a 2050 mAh battery. There is no way in hell that a phone this thin can contain a battery that large. Unless there is some new huge leap in battery manufacturing they haven't told us, that is not going to fit in a phone thinner than the iphone 4. Since that came with the other specs, I have cause to doubt those as well. As far as the GPU comment: my bad. When I was reading the sentence, on my phone it looked to say CPU, not GPU. The text was extremely small since I had it zoomed out and from far away they look identical.

Either way, I am still getting this phone. I would love it if these new specs were released, but I am a realist, it ain't gonna happen.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]nugenttw[/nom]...Either way, I am still getting this phone. I would love it if these new specs were released, but I am a realist, it ain't gonna happen.[/citation]

You're committed to the phone without really knowing its specs for sure. That's interesting to hear from the Android camp.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]You're committed to the phone without really knowing its specs for sure. That's interesting to hear from the Android camp.[/citation]

And these clowns call Apple users "sheeple"...

nugenttw

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]You're committed to the phone without really knowing its specs for sure. That's interesting to hear from the Android camp.[/citation]
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]And these clowns call Apple users "sheeple"...[/citation]

Actually, I owned a BB Pearl, a BB Curve, an iPhone 3G, an iPhone 4, and now an HTC Thunderbolt. I have owned all but a windows phone, and I can say for sure that the best phone OS is Android. Blackberry is ok, but I don't like their phone designs as much. Apple makes great phones, but their OS is the most horrible piece of crap. It limits everything you can do and gives you no control. I have more control over my normal Thunderbolt than I did with my jailbroken iPhone. I can actually peruse the file system, copy files over wifi from another computer on the network to the phone, add widgets, etc. All things the iphone can't do. Yes, I know the new update will finally let iPhone users copy files over wifi, but only itunes files. Try copying a generic .bat file or something, it won't let you.

Oh yes, also try emailing more than one attachment at a time with your iPhone. Oh yeah, you can't. Have fun sending 1 picture per email.

SpartanStang14

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]And these clowns call Apple users "sheeple"...[/citation]

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I'm pretty sure that it's because it has Ice Cream Sandwich, the specs are great no matter if its the old or new rumors (beats the iPhone 4s), and it is the most aesthetic phone ever (yes, it looks better than the iPhone).

I'd say it's fair to call you sheeple. a million pre-orders to upgrade to basically the same phone? yea

nugenttw

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
[citation][nom]SpartanStang14[/nom]I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I'm pretty sure that it's because it has Ice Cream Sandwich, the specs are great no matter if its the old or new rumors (beats the iPhone 4s), and it is the most aesthetic phone ever (yes, it looks better than the iPhone). I'd say it's fair to call you sheeple. a million pre-orders to upgrade to basically the same phone? yea[/citation]

You were able to guess exactly why I am getting it.

It has ICM and no bloatware

It has LTE

It will have good specs no matter what they are

720p SAMOLED screen 320 ppi (retina is 326)

Super thin and stylish design

Yeah, I am such a sheep.

markheber

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
[citation][nom]nugenttw[/nom]You were able to guess exactly why I am getting it.It has ICM and no bloatwareIt has LTEIt will have good specs no matter what they are720p SAMOLED screen 320 ppi (retina is 326)Super thin and stylish designYeah, I am such a sheep.[/citation]

Sheep are sheep. You are the same person that loves their iPhone no matter what, you just face in another direction.

SpartanStang14

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
[citation][nom]markheber[/nom]Sheep are sheep. You are the same person that loves their iPhone no matter what, you just face in another direction.[/citation]

did you miss the part where he said he's had 2 BBs, 2 iPhones, and 1 Android?

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]SpartanStang14[/nom]I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I'm pretty sure that it's because it has Ice Cream Sandwich, the specs are great no matter if its the old or new rumors (beats the iPhone 4s), and it is the most aesthetic phone ever (yes, it looks better than the iPhone). I'd say it's fair to call you sheeple. a million pre-orders to upgrade to basically the same phone? yea[/citation]

It would also be easy to call you naive since you can't tell the difference between the phones looks and the phones hardware/software capabilities. It is not like the devices that came out around the same time as the IPhone 4 really competed in the industrial design department in the first place. Which is why you always here on this forum "Apple is a fashion phone" amongst all the other nonsense statements people make at the mere mention of a Apple device.The 4GS is no where close to the same phone. Just looks the same.

How many times has Motorola rehashed the exact same exterior design on a Android device and put a new name on it? Yea, my point exactly.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I was waiting to see this device before I decided to upgrade my IPhone 4 or keep it. The curved thing had me intrigued as with the specs and the new OS. After seeing this, totally underwhelmed. Same feeling as the other folks with the EVO.

All this talk about Ice Cream Sandwich or any new version of Android. It is interesting that all you see is UI updates as apposed to a solid feature that differentiates the device from it's competitors on a software level. I can only swipe my finger so fast, responsiveness and stability should be default specially with phones have dual cores and what not.

Nice looking OS, but that is about it.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]That's also a user removable battery, so you can have a spare....Try replacing the battery in the iPhone ... What's that? You can't? Awwwww/shame[/citation]

Guess what....you don't have to. How many people actually buy a spare battery for their phone in the first place?

nugenttw

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]I was waiting to see this device before I decided to upgrade my IPhone 4 or keep it. The curved thing had me intrigued as with the specs and the new OS. After seeing this, totally underwhelmed. Same feeling as the other folks with the EVO. All this talk about Ice Cream Sandwich or any new version of Android. It is interesting that all you see is UI updates as apposed to a solid feature that differentiates the device from it's competitors on a software level. I can only swipe my finger so fast, responsiveness and stability should be default specially with phones have dual cores and what not. Nice looking OS, but that is about it.[/citation]

ap3x, I used to own an iPhone 4. Trust me, Android phones are much better. Any phone you buy now will be decently fast. In a year, all of the phones released now will all seem equally slow, so one phone beating another by 10% isn't much. What really matters is:

1. the Design of the phone
2. the OS
3. The features the phone has

the iphone has a great design and great features, but it is held back massively by the OS. iOS is so restrictive, it should be called a dumbphone, not a smartphone. There are so many things you can do with a BB or an Android that you can not do with an iphone it is rediculous.

Androids generally have another issue, they have a great OS(some are limited by bloatware), and great features, but their design is generally subpar. I am excited by this phone because it has a great design, great OS, and top of the line features.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]nugenttw[/nom] I am excited by this phone because it has a great design, great OS, and top of the line features.[/citation]

I must be missing a lot (and I very well may be), because this phone doesn't look all that different from most the other android phones I've seen lately. ??? What is great about the design?

SpartanStang14

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]It would also be easy to call you naive since you can't tell the difference between the phones looks and the phones hardware/software capabilities. It is not like the devices that came out around the same time as the IPhone 4 really competed in the industrial design department in the first place. Which is why you always here on this forum "Apple is a fashion phone" amongst all the other nonsense statements people make at the mere mention of a Apple device.The 4GS is no where close to the same phone. Just looks the same. How many times has Motorola rehashed the exact same exterior design on a Android device and put a new name on it? Yea, my point exactly.[/citation]

It would also be easy to call you an idiot because you make assumptions about what other people say in order to support your own arguments. I never said that the way the phone looks is the only similarity. If the incremental hardware updates and voice commands (which Android has had since Froyo) are enough to convince you to spend $300-400 on a new(ish) model (and that's if you have a phone upgrade available), then be my guest. Apple didn't even develop Siri, they bought it and took it off the App Store to make it an exclusive feature for the 4S while integrating it into the OS. If anyone here is naive, it's the one willing to throw away money on a phone that they're going to have essentially the same experience with.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]Android 4.0 should be awesome and totally whoop iOS 5, but really, Ice Cream Sandwich was the best code name they could think of??[/citation]
Google has a thing for food in their code names, specifically desserts and I guess it was Ice Cream Sandwiches time, since well they ARE awesome.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Guess what....you don't have to. How many people actually buy a spare battery for their phone in the first place?[/citation]
Everyone I know who can have a removable battery has and extra one, they are good for emergencies.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nugenttw[/nom]ap3x, I used to own an iPhone 4. Trust me, Android phones are much better. Any phone you buy now will be decently fast. In a year, all of the phones released now will all seem equally slow, so one phone beating another by 10% isn't much. What really matters is:1. the Design of the phone2. the OS3. The features the phone hasthe iphone has a great design and great features, but it is held back massively by the OS. iOS is so restrictive, it should be called a dumbphone, not a smartphone. There are so many things you can do with a BB or an Android that you can not do with an iphone it is rediculous. Androids generally have another issue, they have a great OS(some are limited by bloatware), and great features, but their design is generally subpar. I am excited by this phone because it has a great design, great OS, and top of the line features.[/citation]

Could you please define what you can do with BB OS and Android that you can not with IOS. You set the bar pretty low when you put BB OS in there. Please tell me, because I have use both extensively and I am not seeing what you are seeing. Especially on the BB front, the only thing on the BB is the fact that you can put an x in front of the extension after the phone number and it will prompt for the extension number after you the main is dialed. That is about it. That feature alone caused be to go from my 3G back to Blackberry only to go right back to a IPhone 4 because BB was lacking so bad in the performance, stability, and app department.

Status
Not open for further replies.