VIDEO: Hands On with the Samsung Nexus Prime

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]SpartanStang14[/nom]It would also be easy to call you an idiot because you make assumptions about what other people say in order to support your own arguments. I never said that the way the phone looks is the only similarity. If the incremental hardware updates and voice commands (which Android has had since Froyo) are enough to convince you to spend $300-400 on a new(ish) model (and that's if you have a phone upgrade available), then be my guest. Apple didn't even develop Siri, they bought it and took it off the App Store to make it an exclusive feature for the 4S while integrating it into the OS. If anyone here is naive, it's the one willing to throw away money on a phone that they're going to have essentially the same experience with.[/citation]

AHHH, you threw the gloves down (or your pocket protector) with the idiot statement.

Do me a favor, borrow your friends IPhone 4 and hold down the button on the bottom. What comes up........Voice Control. Has been their since the 3GS and is comparable to what you have on your beloved Android device. Get over yourself. Siri is not the same as what you have already and you know it, which is why you are trolling so much about the 4s. Do you honestly think that Google developed everything in Android without licensing or borrowing other tech in their OS or are you still in the dark as to why Microsoft is making more money on Android than Google is?

I don't have to make assumptions about what other people say, you guys say plenty with the fact's in many cases being completely absent.

So tell me, do you believe an acquisition and integration of the acquired tech into a companies existing products does not count as a differentiator by virtue that the company did not develop it from scratch? Since when is their a requirement that everything has to be developed in house to be a compelling solution?

Take game development for example, does the fact that a great game that licenses the network code and the underline graphics engine make the game less great somehow. How about the fact that NVidia acquired and integrated Physx and then marketed it as a differentiator against their competitors. This is how products get better. Apple does it, Microsoft does, Google does it, Samsung does it. Everyone does so you so if that is your argument...well since you are calling me an idiot I think it is safe to say that it is clear who the idiot really is.

If another company has a sweet tech and it would be cheaper to buy the company and integrate the tech rather than develop it from scratch would you not make that business decision if it gave you competitive advantages?

Wake up dude, seriously.

markheber

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
I live between two great universities and the students are constantly saying how the other is lousy. Chevy or Ford, chocolate or vanilla, Marianne or Ginger. What is it that makes people that are normally very intelligent act so stupid when it come to rivalries?

SpartanStang14

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]AHHH, you threw the gloves down (or your pocket protector) with the idiot statement. Do me a favor, borrow your friends IPhone 4 and hold down the button on the bottom. What comes up........Voice Control. Has been their since the 3GS and is comparable to what you have on your beloved Android device. Get over yourself. Siri is not the same as what you have already and you know it, which is why you are trolling so much about the 4s. Do you honestly think that Google developed everything in Android without licensing or borrowing other tech in their OS or are you still in the dark as to why Microsoft is making more money on Android than Google is?I don't have to make assumptions about what other people say, you guys say plenty with the fact's in many cases being completely absent.So tell me, do you believe an acquisition and integration of the acquired tech into a companies existing products does not count as a differentiator by virtue that the company did not develop it from scratch? Since when is their a requirement that everything has to be developed in house to be a compelling solution? Take game development for example, does the fact that a great game that licenses the network code and the underline graphics engine make the game less great somehow. How about the fact that NVidia acquired and integrated Physx and then marketed it as a differentiator against their competitors. This is how products get better. Apple does it, Microsoft does, Google does it, Samsung does it. Everyone does so you so if that is your argument...well since you are calling me an idiot I think it is safe to say that it is clear who the idiot really is.If another company has a sweet tech and it would be cheaper to buy the company and integrate the tech rather than develop it from scratch would you not make that business decision if it gave you competitive advantages?Wake up dude, seriously.[/citation]

There you go again, trying to argue my side for me, totally misrepresenting my opinions in the process. I was originally arguing that it's not worth it to upgrade from an iPhone 4 to a 4S. I also said that the Nexus Prime is better, from what we have seen so far, than the 4S. Now you want me to debate about business acquisitions? All I was saying was that you're pretty much paying to upgrade your phone to have a feature that was originally available as an app, but Apple saw an opportunity to pull it off the app store and make it exclusive to the 4S. Now, aside from marginally improved specs which will be obsolete as soon as the Prime is released, Siri is the only talking point (at least that's the only one that you've brought up). What's so much better about Siri now? You're the one leaving the "fact's" completely absent.

Also, wasn't it you that said Android guys always insist that "Apple is a fashion phone," and here you are, insinuating that I'm a nerdy fandroid wearing a pocket protector? Wow.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]TeKEffect[/nom]Also I herd this is going to Verizon. please tell me its going to sprint 2. You cant have awesome phones without unlimited data.[/citation]

Might not be shipping with the phone, but I only use 3500mah batteries with my evo, so yes, anything less is crappy

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]SpartanStang14[/nom]There you go again, trying to argue my side for me, totally misrepresenting my opinions in the process. I was originally arguing that it's not worth it to upgrade from an iPhone 4 to a 4S. I also said that the Nexus Prime is better, from what we have seen so far, than the 4S. Now you want me to debate about business acquisitions? All I was saying was that you're pretty much paying to upgrade your phone to have a feature that was originally available as an app, but Apple saw an opportunity to pull it off the app store and make it exclusive to the 4S. Now, aside from marginally improved specs which will be obsolete as soon as the Prime is released, Siri is the only talking point (at least that's the only one that you've brought up). What's so much better about Siri now? You're the one leaving the "fact's" completely absent. Also, wasn't it you that said Android guys always insist that "Apple is a fashion phone," and here you are, insinuating that I'm a nerdy fandroid wearing a pocket protector? Wow.[/citation]

I did not debate business acquisitions and it was not me that said that IPhone was a fashion phone. It was merely one comment in a slew or comments against the IPhone that are constantly thrown around on this site. I did not mis-represent your opinions at all. You stated something very specific in your comments, I made a counter point and followed with a series of examples of where the business practice you mentioned in your comment is used in other places.

Funny how you come back with "your mis-representing my statements" when someone responds with facts and examples. You want to have a tech debate and then make comments about the people who buy the tech while backing up your argument with an opinion. That is pretty weak.

Nexus Prime or any device being better than another is completely subjective. Personally, I am a business user and very lightly use the phone for the other media features so what features are important to me may not match what feature are important to others. But I do not spend my time making sweeping comments about users that prefer a different solution.

Also, I did not say anything about nerdy fandriod wearing a pocket protector. You came up with all of that. Perhaps your feeling guilty of something? I just returned fire back at the idiot comment.

By the way, I also knew that "pocket protector" would get a rise out of you as well. Seemed like it worked well since you decided to wrap context around it. ;-)

The interesting thing is that both of us are going back and forth over a Phone. lol Hard to deny that there are many other less geeky things we could be doing with our time. I like yourself enjoy technology, so it is all in good fun.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]Might not be shipping with the phone, but I only use 3500mah batteries with my evo, so yes, anything less is crappy[/citation]
I couldn't imagine using anything less than a 2400mah battery on my BB 8530...

My brother just upgraded his Optimus V from the default battery to one that was around 3000mah. Big big difference...

And if I could get a bigger battery, I would...

SpartanStang14

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]It would also be easy to call you naive since you can't tell the difference between the phones looks and the phones hardware/software capabilities. It is not like the devices that came out around the same time as the IPhone 4 really competed in the industrial design department in the first place. Which is why you always here on this forum "Apple is a fashion phone" amongst all the other nonsense statements people make at the mere mention of a Apple device.The 4GS is no where close to the same phone. Just looks the same. How many times has Motorola rehashed the exact same exterior design on a Android device and put a new name on it? Yea, my point exactly.[/citation]

just saiyan

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]SpartanStang14[/nom]just saiyan[/citation]

Just saiyan what?

Which is why you always hear on this forum "Apple is a fashion phone". Sorry I misspelled hear, or perhaps I should have said "read" instead. Did that one word throw the entire point off?

Status
Not open for further replies.