Video: Liquidmetal Morphs Into Watch Bezel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]That's interesting.Still want a Rolex Explorer 2 in platinum (or tungsten carbide if I could find it, with a sapphire lens).[/citation]
Now THAT would be usefull and I will actually pay a premium for it. I've scratched at least 4 watches, 2x Citizen, 1x Casio, and 1x random brand. I hate scratches and fingerprints on my stuff, this is more annoying than glossy screens/covers.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I am pretty sure all the Invicta diving watches are sapphire. I Wooted my Invicta watch, not knowing that. I was both pleased and surprised that my face was sapphire.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
One day, thousands of years from now, long after our civilization falls, and humans rebuild to the point of becoming again fascinated by archeology, they will find this and think:
"What the hell? Why would these ancient people have used such advanced technology to create something so worthless?"

JPHD

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]IM0001[/nom]Does anyone else think of Biometal from Battlezone when they hear of Liquidmetal?[/citation]
I think Liquid snake from the Metal Gear series.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]That's interesting.Still want a Rolex Explorer 2 in platinum (or tungsten carbide if I could find it, with a sapphire lens).[/citation]

I imagine a good jeweler/watch repair technician could find sapphire crystals for most watches. They aren't ridiculously expensive either.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Was I looking at the wrong object or did they cut this seemingly invincible piece of metal with a jet of water?[/citation]
That wasn't water. It was a plasma cutter.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]trialsking[/nom]I want my 1:45 back. They actually wrote and article on this?!?!!???!? Great the numbers on the bezel will last forever but the watch stops running in a year.[/citation]
That's just it - a quality automatic mechanical watch like a Rolex or an Omega will run literally for decades, without winding, without batteries, without maintenance. They are far more rugged and reliable than any electronic watch, which is why they are worn in the most harsh environments on earth (and space). The first person (actually it was a 2-man team) to climb Mt. Everest were wearing Rolexes. The deepest human dive record in the world, is around 1700 feet below sea level, and you guessed it, a Rolex Sea Dweller. These premium automatic mechanical watches are jewelry and status symbols for office workers and desk jockeys - but the reason they are so expensive is they are designed and built for the harshest environments imaginable.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Also, the reason a battery operated watch won't work on top of Mt Everest, or at 1700 feet under the sea, is mainly due to the temperature extremes. Tiny little 1.5 volt batteries, cheap little electric motors, and LCD displays don't work at 50 degrees below freezing...

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Every time liquid metal is introduced in some new fashion I end up thinking of the T-1000 from Terminator 2

aquila

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
A watch is a fashion statement; pretty much the only piece of jewelry a man is allowed to show off. In terms of plain practicality, a $50 Casio will perform the same basic functionality, but mechanical watches are for people (pretentious or not) who are willing to pay a fine premium to appreciate fine craftsmanship/art. And if you really start looking closely, you will find they are incredible wonders of modern engineering disciplines.

ukgooey

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Stardude82[/nom]I imagine a good jeweler/watch repair technician could find sapphire crystals for most watches. They aren't ridiculously expensive either.[/citation]
Yes, you can put a Sapphire Crystal in any watch, but they aren't anything like as cheap as a standard mineral.
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]That's just it - a quality automatic mechanical watch like a Rolex or an Omega will run literally for decades, without winding, without batteries, without maintenance. They are far more rugged and reliable than any electronic watch, which is why they are worn in the most harsh environments on earth (and space). The first person (actually it was a 2-man team) to climb Mt. Everest were wearing Rolexes. The deepest human dive record in the world, is around 1700 feet below sea level, and you guessed it, a Rolex Sea Dweller. These premium automatic mechanical watches are jewelry and status symbols for office workers and desk jockeys - but the reason they are so expensive is they are designed and built for the harshest environments imaginable.[/citation]
Sorry mate, but some of this is inaccurate. Much like any mechanical automatic watch in fact. Even your average Rolex is +/- 2-3 mins a day - nowhere near as accurate as even the cheapest quartz watch. Plus, the wear and tear on mechanical parts under constant pressure means that you should really service a mechanical watch every three years or so (£300-£700 for anyone interested in a Rolex, unless you find a good external repairer and even then, parts are required from Rolex at a premium), so they do need extensive maintenance. They are nowhere near as durable as most quartz watches either, especially when you consider a brand like G-Shock (however it does depend on your environment).

Mechanical watches are an outstanding feat of engineering but if you want an accurate and durable watch stick to quartz.

aquila

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]ukgooey[/nom]Even your average Rolex is +/- 2-3 mins a day[/citation]
Actually, COSC certified chronometers have a tolerance of -4/+6 seconds/day, and you will find e.g. Rolexes will consistently beat these targets. Properly adjusted watches of this calibre will drift

aquila

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
meh, my last post was amputated...
properly adjusted watches of this calibre will drift less than 1s each day.
But a simple quartz will likely beat most mechanical watches in timekeeping.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Liquidmetal, a brand name, not an actual product. All metals are liquid when heated. What's special about this one? Seems like it has the same properties as Al but just stronger.

G

Liquidmetal and Viterloy are just commercial names for amorphous metal alloys that have been around for years. Liquidmetal is sold at room temperature (as are most metals).

These alloys are in use in golf clubs, tennis rackets, cell phone covers/shells and other small electronic devices (casing of a SanDisk "Cruzer Titanium" USB flash drives) etc...

Bottom line, liquidmetal is just one commercial name for these alloys, this is just marketing hype, that is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS