VIDEO: Nintendo Demos the DSi XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

triplanetary

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Actually, it's 93% larger than the DS Lite's screen, not 93% larger than the DSi's screen.

[citation][nom]decepticon[/nom]Wait, 93% larger? So the DSlite display is 3.25" diagonal, so the new one is 6.43". Is that accurate?[/citation]

Yes. Small changes in diagonal size lead to proportionally large changes in area.

triplanetary

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Sorry, let me correct myself. No, the DSi XL's screen is 4.2", not 6.43". The "93% larger" figure refers to display area, not diagonal size. As I said, you get larger gains in display area, so that's the figure they'll quote for comparison, just for the sake of having impressive numbers to show off.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]kyzar[/nom]Bladdy hell - another reason for my daughter to fleece me dry...[/citation]
Exactly what Nintendo wanted when they design this.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Well, assuming the same aspect ratio, and the smaller diagonal being 3.25" (as somebody else posted), the new diagonal would be 39% larger or ~4.5"

G

Does any one know the original DPI of the DSi screen vs what this new one will be? I assume it is the same pixel resolution as previous or is the DSi XL have more (and then the question is will the current games run in a small window or be scaled)?

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]edelgiud[/nom]Does any one know the original DPI of the DSi screen vs what this new one will be? I assume it is the same pixel resolution as previous or is the DSi XL have more (and then the question is will the current games run in a small window or be scaled)?[/citation]

I would imaging that they would keep it the same resolution.

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]edelgiud[/nom]Does any one know the original DPI of the DSi screen vs what this new one will be? I assume it is the same pixel resolution as previous or is the DSi XL have more (and then the question is will the current games run in a small window or be scaled)?[/citation]
You'll probably have a choice. I remember on my game boy advance SP which had a widescreen, you could play original game boy games either stretched or centered

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]edelgiud[/nom]or is the DSi XL have more[/citation]
As far as I can tell, the DSi XL is basically just a size change; the internals are 100% identical. The same CPUs, (ARM7 @33MHz & ARM9 @133MHz) same RAM quantity, (16MB) same integrated flash storage. (256MB) (and likewise, same single SDHC slot, and same lack of a GBA slot)

The only differences this will get is a bigger screen, a bigger stylus, and apparently a bigger battery, too, as Nintendo appears to be claiming a longer battery life than the DSi on equal brightness settings.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]donaldduck[/nom]Wow, those are nice, big screens!If it only had more ram it would probably be better than the iPad[/citation]
On that line of thought, I've been wondering what the MSRP of this thing will be; obviously, it's gonna be bigger than the base DSi, since this appears to basically just be a "deluxe" version of the handheld.

'course, I would've also liked to, say, perhaps see a bump-up in the size of the embedded flash, or a second SDHC slot... Though I figure that the single one it has is probably enough anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.