VIDEO: Parts of Avengers Movie Shot with iPhone 4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]Yeah, imagine a professional site where the worried directors ask the readers what should they publish before they publish it. If the readers are happy with the news or headlines, or if something Apple happens in the tech world the readers will be sure they wont find it there because its "Apple related". Imagine: "We apologize to our wise Apple-intolerant readers because some of them found the content Apple implied".[/citation]

As much as I hate Apple. I wouldn't want them to ever stop posting such articles because it only build up my biased hate toward them :) at same time feed me more ammunition to tell people to avoid Apple at all cost except for Macbook Pro which is a decent product although it is overpriced. In the end, all tech related belong here no matter what company it come from.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
In this thread: Butthurt.

Hating on this article simply cause it says Apple is just as bad as buying an iPhone simply cause it says Apple. If it featured the GS2, Galaxy Nexus, or some other top-end Android device, you all would be singing a different tune.

Perhaps you all should invest in Anal Ease.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Yeah going to have to agree. Tom's needs to give the Apple talk a rest, and this is coming from an everyday Mac user.

Never mind that fact that a lot of the movies released today are edited on Final Cut Pro, on a Mac Pro. Last year's Superbowl open? Yep, that was done on Final Cut Pro. I would say at least 1/2 of what you see on TV these days was edited on a Mac in Final Cut Pro, using Apple's proprietary Quicktime formats.

But most Tom's readers don't care, in fact I'm sure most would rather pretend Apple doesn't even exist. I personally care because I'm in the broadcast industry, although I will admit that posting every little bit of news about Apple is getting tiresome.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
This is so full of bullshit :), just another apple advertising, Film movie is way beyond 4k resolution and no compression at all ... even RED ONE (20.000 $ body only) cameras that film RAW footage are quite behind film cameras and you sell us iphone bullshit ? You don`t even have any clue about 4:4:4 , 4:2:2 color space and other details that makes your footage able to be heavily color corrected (just like all movies are)... iphone might have good footage for normal consumers but it doesn`t even come close to film. I`m sad that apple now has movie makers advertise for them.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Sounds more like a publicity stunt for Apple to me. Now the sheep are gonna think the whole movie was shot using a crapPhone 4S and are gonna rush to the store and buy it. Seriously that's literally what they'll think and do[/citation]

my thought exactly , i'd wager that the iphoen's camera wasnt used AT ALL in the making of this movie and apple is just paying the man , for publicity. Apple is known for advertising in movies more than ANY other company out there (seriously seen statistics once that stated about 70-78% of all computers featured in movies are apple)
but go figure that's holly wood for you , all guys and girls in movies look freaking super model fantastic unless looking bad is part of the plot line for a character , all computers are apple. and all smokers don't hack their guts out every 30-40 minutes. guns only cause minor flesgh wounds that the characters are only inconvienced with so every oen goes aroudn shooting at every one. , arnt we a bit glad that real life is well real .

that being , most smokers look liek shi cos nicotine is bad for teh skin and they all sound like it to ( i know this first hand i'm a smoker ). most avaerage american's are overwieght and or ugly (not always a bad thing , i don't mind a girl with a bit extra cushion), Apple only holds about 5% of the comptuer market , and gun shot wounds usually kill people about 90 percent of the time even if it is a simple shot to the arm or leg (there is a such thing as arteries and bleeding to death).

i'm sriously tired of every one tooting apple's horn though , sure apple puled them selves out of oblivion with the ipod and the iphone and now they got a maxi pad too.. i meant Ipad. but technology wise they are really a moot company that hasn't done any thing really hardcore to advance computer science in decades , i'm sick of hearing about them they don't make the internal hardware them selves. Stop sucking them off already tom's

SoiledBottom

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Ben850

"In this thread: Butthurt."
"Perhaps you all should invest in Anal Ease"

I'll assume your addressing me if not my apologies.

Just thought it was funny...not hate or malice intended in my first post.
Apple does have a way of finding itself in a lot of Toms articles.

You could have also addressed me as Poopy pants or Crappy draws

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
My bet is that the iPhone footage was completely overtaken by CG (as much of this movie is CG). Still a fun looking movie. Been waiting for it forever! It's about time it came out.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I would say at least 1/2 of what you see on TV these days was edited on a Mac in Final Cut Pro, using Apple's proprietary Quicktime formats.[/citation]
Actually not. While it is true that of whole non-linear video editing software market Apple holds almost 50% of sales, when comparing presence in TV programs and movies Final Cut is #3 behind Avid's Media Composer and Adobe Premier.

It is a long standing misconception among people that Final Cut is superior, but in truth while other NLE software makers were improving their products Apple went in other direction with Final Cut Pro X which lacks mirrad functions from previous versions.

So to recap, Final Cut is used by hobbyists and independent filmmakers, professionals mainly use some other programs.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]This is so full of bullshit , just another apple advertising, Film movie is way beyond 4k resolution and no compression at all ...[/citation]

The estimated resolution of 35mm film is around 6k.

So yes, in a highly compressed trailer on the web which is seen in at most 1080p, it will be harder to tell . In a theater, when the conpression tiles for the iPhone are two feet across and the image's resolution drops to less than half, you WILL notice.

[citation][nom]hetneo[/nom]Actually not. While it is true that of whole non-linear video editing software market Apple holds almost 50% of sales, when comparing presence in TV programs and movies Final Cut is #3 behind Avid's Media Composer and Adobe Premier.It is a long standing misconception among people that Final Cut is superior, but in truth while other NLE software makers were improving their products Apple went in other direction with Final Cut Pro X which lacks mirrad functions from previous versions.So to recap, Final Cut is used by hobbyists and independent filmmakers, professionals mainly use some other programs.[/citation]

Premiere is actually behind Final Cut in 'Professional' use, and Premiere is the one mainly in use by 'hobbyist' filmmakers. "Premiere Elements" coming with your $99 USB capture card counts as a premiere sale.

Premiere has come a long way tho, and after Apple shooting itself in the foot with FCP X, maybe we'll see some drastic changes to the landscape..

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hetneo[/nom]Nah, that's diff in light you see,better hunt 4-5 sequences that are very "shakey". Post production can do wonders with color and light and overall picture quality, but movement of camera is what gives clues. My guess is that they have used it just for this reason, all other cameras they had were too heavy and thus rather stable when shot free hand.[/citation]

shake can be added in post, and its more controlled, so i cant see them getting a iphone just for that, however, notice that low angle shot that, if screwed up, wouldn't cost anything to reshoot... thats my bet

also with cameras, lighting and color can only be fixed so much in post before its noticeable, granted hollywood has more skill than me, no doubt, but if you light a shot just right, and film it with immaculate skill, you can get a made on video film to look like a shot on film, or at least get it to the point of wondering is this really video.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]hetneo[/nom]Actually not. While it is true that of whole non-linear video editing software market Apple holds almost 50% of sales, when comparing presence in TV programs and movies Final Cut is #3 behind Avid's Media Composer and Adobe Premier.[/citation]
I have never seen Premiere used in the professional market. After Effects, yes, but never Premiere.
The two main programs I've seen is Final Cut and Avid. I prefer Avid myself, but the majority of the people I know use Final Cut. I'm an EIC for a broadcast truck, and much to my dismay I was forced to put Final Cut in my truck instead of Avid. Needless to say I was disappoint. Luckily for me Avid runs on Mac to, so perhaps I'll get it installed with next year's budget.

Having said that, since Apple basically committed suicide with FCP X, I expect Premiere Pro gain some ground, especially if Avid doesn't reduce their prices.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I have never seen Premiere used in the professional market. After Effects, yes, but never Premiere.The two main programs I've seen is Final Cut and Avid. I prefer Avid myself, but the majority of the people I know use Final Cut. I'm an EIC for a broadcast truck, and much to my dismay I was forced to put Final Cut in my truck instead of Avid. Needless to say I was disappoint. Luckily for me Avid runs on Mac to, so perhaps I'll get it installed with next year's budget.Having said that, since Apple basically committed suicide with FCP X, I expect Premiere Pro gain some ground, especially if Avid doesn't reduce their prices.[/citation]

A lot of VFX studios, many of which are primarily PC-based (no matter what Apple wants you to believe), use Premiere for in-house VFX editing.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
For the price of an iphone, you can buy a decent 1080p camcorder that not only gives better picture quality but also does not have the rolling shutter.

My $120 camera offers significantly better video quality than the iphone 4s.

If anyone has notices when the parts are checked into for devices like this, the built in cameras are generally worth around $5-15

No matter how anyone working on that movie puts it, it is purely marketing, there is 100% no reason why someone would use a iphone 4s due to a lack of money.

PS for the price of a iphone 4s, you can buy a decent entry level DSLR that records 1080p

You can then use a external audio recorder, then use a slate or free slate app for your windows mobile, ios, or android device (or buy a cheap one) and use it to sync the audio and video.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Draven35[/nom]A lot of VFX studios, many of which are primarily PC-based (no matter what Apple wants you to believe), use Premiere for in-house VFX editing.[/citation]
I can see that, since VFX studios probably use After Effects quite a bit. And usually Premiere is bundled with After Effects, so its only logical they would use Premiere.

Premiere and Final Cut actually seem very similar to me, and now that FCP X has disappointed many Final Cut users I would expect them to switch to Premiere, especially since Avid has a $2000+ price tag. But then again I'm an broadcast engineer, not an editor, so what do I know ;)

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Draven35[/nom]The estimated resolution of 35mm film is around 6k.So yes, in a highly compressed trailer on the web which is seen in at most 1080p, it will be harder to tell . In a theater, when the conpression tiles for the iPhone are two feet across and the image's resolution drops to less than half, you WILL notice.Premiere is actually behind Final Cut in 'Professional' use, and Premiere is the one mainly in use by 'hobbyist' filmmakers. "Premiere Elements" coming with your $99 USB capture card counts as a premiere sale.Premiere has come a long way tho, and after Apple shooting itself in the foot with FCP X, maybe we'll see some drastic changes to the landscape..[/citation]
Premiere is a very popular NLE in the wedding videographers , an area where even Sony Vegas gets a good share. And to be honest i think the latest CS 5.5 is kinda above FCP . PS: the fastest NLE of all it seems to be GrassValley`s EDIUS but is not really that popular and is kinda hard to work with it. Even users that worked on Avid/Premiere/FCP notice how fast is EDIUS even on normal hardware. And anyway .... the program whit which you edit the movie doesn`t really matters that much as the cameras used to film it.
I`m a Premiere user myself but i just saw some articles about the latest Sony Vegas PRO 11 that it claims to have got very fast at exporting HD material.

It would be lovely if TOM`s would come up with a head to head between video editing software like AVID/Premiere/FCP/EDIUS/Sony Vegas.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]It would be lovely if TOM`s would come up with a head to head between video editing software like AVID/Premiere/FCP/EDIUS/Sony Vegas.[/citation]

Believe it or not, I tried that, but there are... licensing issues... and the necessity of the test being done on a Mac.

Also, the easiest way to make the edits cross-platform wouldn't work with FCP X...

Status
Not open for further replies.