VIDEO: This Mortal Kombat Trailer Looks Badass

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Ok don't tell me I was the only one that who had the original mortal combat movie song start in their heads when the clipped finished.

Also the movie isn't even in production yet and Johnny cage is dead hahaha. Looks promising, I liked the original movie cause it was close to the game too bad the acting sucked.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I think i like the original MK movie (the one that inspired the techno mix) more than this re-imagined version. MK was always about fighting another dimension..

This type of realism would better be played if it was a remake of Streetfighter. Having Vega in Barraka's position (jason mask wielding wolverine claws), Dashim (contortionist), Mr. Bison (played by a japanese Yakuza who partakes in recreational bloodsport while doing massive drug dealing), Guile (ex marine, dishonorable discharge). At least there's some realism and no corny code names "reptile, scorpion" for former freakshow combat fighters.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Lame. The fight scene was terrible, these are supposed to be uber warriors. Every attack that is not blocked should be a bone crunching cripple. The concept should remain fantastical to the original game (even the original crappy movie took too much liberty and lost the sharp edge the game has).

Also... Kage needs to be in the tournament. :)

omikron48

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Can't believe I can say MK again... MK! MK! MK! MK! MK! XO

God, I missed that franchise. Only played the ones released on the Sega Mega Drive though. Didn't try the 3D ones on PS2.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I didn't like it at all. The characters seemed to be way too altered to the point that they aren't really them anymore. The story seems to be about a single city full of psychopaths rather than a tournament that actually matters on who actually wins.

In fact the story is heavily flawed think about it wouldn't this tournament be doing the law enforcement a favor by pitting the most wanted crazy criminals against each other to the death? The Earth isn't in any form of danger like any previous Mortal Kombat game or movie. Even if a bad guy won the tournament this would at least leave the law enforcement and citizens of the city much safer than before and only having to worry about catching one guy instead of many.

This movie seems to be Blood Sport with loosely based Mortal Kombat characters and even looser storyline. I hope WB passes on this one or at least major improvements are made.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Poor nuclear, its a film made to be shown to executives to give the movie a go.

Anyhow, it looks amazing. Obviously the first two movies failed, still I liked both, but this gives a more down to earth feel. Hope it goes threw.

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
I am hoping for a more mature theme for this movie. After all, this is a mature and gruesome game. The theme must match. The trailer looks good and it creates that atmosphere well. Let's cross fingers that this is not the only part that is good about the movie. However, I am still skeptical. Prove me wrong.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I'm sorry, but to all you naysayers who've posted consider this:

if the fantastical, inter-dimensional, invasion-averting tournament storyline was well-received and successful, we'd STILL have MK movies.

So what is wrong with trying a different spin? Personally I thought the games started sucking after MK II because it got lost up its own ass with the overly-complicated backstory, more and more convoluted reasons just to have 1-on-1 fights (MK III's story should have been for a side fighter like Streets of Rage, not a tournament fighter).

Personally I think this looks epic and hope WB agree.

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I would love if they re-envision the Mortal Kombat movie, similar to how the new Batman movies are compared to the originals. Always was a fan of the games and the movies, but I would love to see a high quality version done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.