VIDEO: Verizon's First iPhone Commerical

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]If this retort was an attempt to sound intelligent you failed miserably. It is better to be thought a fool and remain silent than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.North Korea of tech corporations? What exactly is that supposed to mean? Are you applying that Apple is some sort of totalitarian corporation that abuses its employees or was this a second feeble attempt to belittle Apple? Here's an example. My Droid X had about a dozen Verizon applications that I couldn't remove unless I rooted the device. My wifes' Continuum was stuck with Bing as the search provider until I rooted the device. My old iPhone was locked down until I jailbroke the device. What's the difference? I guess the terminology? Rooting > Jailbreaking? Because it sounds cooler? I don't know exactly. Maybe a fanboy like yourself can explain this one to me because where I sit my two Android phones are just as locked down as my old iPhone.[/citation]
very true, i had two android deveices now and i can't believe it how locked down the damn thing is...did it mention that it has apps which i never use and can't remove?

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]. . . My Droid X had about a dozen Verizon applications that I couldn't remove unless I rooted the device. My wifes' Continuum was stuck with Bing as the search provider until I rooted the device. My old iPhone was locked down until I jailbroke the device. What's the difference? . . .[/citation]
Kongregate recently had its app taken off the marketplace because you cannot have an app that lets you buy other apps (it bypasses the marketplace and their cut).

If this were an iPhone, that is the end of the app. You either are in the iPhone app store, or you don't exist.

However, it is for android phones. You are not limited to Apple controlled sources to buy apps. Kongregate can sell its app on a separate website, and with a tick of an option on my Epic I can download and install it.

This is the difference between iOS and android, and why people usually say the iPhone is "locked down" but the android phones are "open". I still have the right to buy and install 3rd party software on my phone, much like I did with my windows mobile 6 phone (but unlike Windows Phone 7, which I will not get now).

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
We can look at each device in many terms. If we look at price, most Android phones are about $100-$200 with a 2 year contract, some are even free. The iPhone 4 starts at $199 for the 16Gb version and $299 for the 32GB version. The Droid X is $199 with a 2 year contract, has 8GB on on-board memory with a preinstalled 16Gb microSDHC card which is expandable to 32GB, the iPhone has no expansion capabilities at all so if you go with the 16GB, you can't change that at all.

Features. This is important. Mainly because there are all kinds of people out there and not everyone needs the larger screen or high MP camera. Android comes in all sizes and flavors. The iPhone is just one size, technically two flavors (internal storage size).

Open. Its not hard to say really. Those who pay attention to apple and what Apple does normally will know that Apple is a control freak. If Apple could, everyone would use the iPhone only or their hardware only. Ever notice how hard and expensive it is to try to upgrade a Macs hardware? or even build your own mac (near impossible). Android is a bit more open but I would say less open than MS and Windows is and not nearly as open as Unix/Linux.

Still there are a slew of things easily done on Android that aren't on iOS. Rooting is much simpler than jail breaking a iPhone. On a side note, I guess the term "rooting" came because it grants access to the root of the OS which is normally a Linux term (root folder/drive). Moving on, most phones can be rooted by installing a rooting app and running it. After that its easy to pretty much do whatever you want including flashing a custom made ROM over the standard Google one. Apple tries to keep jail breaking impossible and for a while even bricked jail broken iPhones. As said before, control freaks.

Overall I don't see much in this. The largest group of people in Verizon have Android and are very happy with it. The group that cares about the iPhone on Verizon are iPhone owners who want a choice of carriers or one with a better 3G network for their use.

I for one still to this day laugh at people who buy Apple products. Mainly because they are blinded by flashy marketing easily. Then again the masses are normally controlled like that.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]We can look at each device in many terms. If we look at price, most Android phones are about $100-$200 with a 2 year contract, some are even free. The iPhone 4 starts at $199 for the 16Gb version and $299 for the 32GB version. The Droid X is $199 with a 2 year contract, has 8GB on on-board memory with a preinstalled 16Gb microSDHC card which is expandable to 32GB, the iPhone has no expansion capabilities at all so if you go with the 16GB, you can't change that at all.Features. This is important. Mainly because there are all kinds of people out there and not everyone needs the larger screen or high MP camera. Android comes in all sizes and flavors. The iPhone is just one size, technically two flavors (internal storage size). Open. Its not hard to say really. Those who pay attention to apple and what Apple does normally will know that Apple is a control freak. If Apple could, everyone would use the iPhone only or their hardware only. Ever notice how hard and expensive it is to try to upgrade a Macs hardware? or even build your own mac (near impossible). Android is a bit more open but I would say less open than MS and Windows is and not nearly as open as Unix/Linux.Still there are a slew of things easily done on Android that aren't on iOS. Rooting is much simpler than jail breaking a iPhone. On a side note, I guess the term "rooting" came because it grants access to the root of the OS which is normally a Linux term (root folder/drive). Moving on, most phones can be rooted by installing a rooting app and running it. After that its easy to pretty much do whatever you want including flashing a custom made ROM over the standard Google one. Apple tries to keep jail breaking impossible and for a while even bricked jail broken iPhones. As said before, control freaks.Overall I don't see much in this. The largest group of people in Verizon have Android and are very happy with it. The group that cares about the iPhone on Verizon are iPhone owners who want a choice of carriers or one with a better 3G network for their use.I for one still to this day laugh at people who buy Apple products. Mainly because they are blinded by flashy marketing easily. Then again the masses are normally controlled like that.[/citation]

While I see some of your points I disagree with some of them. Yes, if you want to control your hardware and be able to take it apart easily then Apple is not going to be the best choice for you. If you want to be able to tune the OS to your hearts content...then Apple is not going to be the best choice for you.

Many would say that the iPhone is easier to use than Android. While that is definitely subjective, I tend to agree. Some people, however, don't want the easiest phone to use, they'll happily give some ease-of-use up to gain more customization. This is where Android shines. Another aspect where I think Android shines is in choice of hardware.

Many people want an easy to use, feature-rich phone. They don't care about customization outside of being able to purchase apps. While some people love all the choices you get with the Android problem many see it as a confusing mess. For some people, too much choice is not the best thing. Especially in something like a mobile phone. Us more technical folks may like all that choice. My 74 year-old retired mother does not. She just wants an easy to use device. The cost differential of an iPhone over an Android device is not enough to be important to her. …and really doesn’t offer a lot of room to be confusing. That’s a win for A LOT of people. Many people love the industrial design and build quality of the iPhone. Its not perfect, but many would agree its built well enough and is easy enough to use that a typical 4th grader can pick it up and use it with little or no assistance. The iPhone is simple, easy to use, well built, and looks good. That's all A LOT of people are seeking.

I had an Evo 4G. Nice phone with some really neat features. I took an iPhone 4 back to get it. The screen wasn't as nice to me as the iPhone 4...bigger, but not as high-resolution, not as bright and colorful (and it was noticeable...to me). I found myself missing my iPhone, which made me mad. I wanted my Evo to be as simple to use as my iPhone, I wanted to like my Evo more! ...but for me the iPhone was just simple with enough customization to make me happy. …so I returned to it. …and I’m ashamed.

Every time I look at my iPhone 4 I think, “Wow, that’s a great looking, easy to use device.” …and I’m ashamed. I love my iPhone 4. My wife loves hers. ...and I'm ashamed.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Well folks I'm actually in marketing and that was a great commerical.[/citation]

Agreed!! Simple, impactful, a great commercial to introduce to people that Verizon has the IPhone 4. Great job with this one.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]Kongregate recently had its app taken off the marketplace because you cannot have an app that lets you buy other apps (it bypasses the marketplace and their cut).If this were an iPhone, that is the end of the app. You either are in the iPhone app store, or you don't exist.However, it is for android phones. You are not limited to Apple controlled sources to buy apps. Kongregate can sell its app on a separate website, and with a tick of an option on my Epic I can download and install it.This is the difference between iOS and android, and why people usually say the iPhone is "locked down" but the android phones are "open". I still have the right to buy and install 3rd party software on my phone, much like I did with my windows mobile 6 phone (but unlike Windows Phone 7, which I will not get now).[/citation]

Your argument contradicts itself in the opening statement. Right out the gate you say that Kongregate was on the Android but was taken off the store because it was a 3rd part app portal. lol. Android is considered open not because of the apps that it allows but because it is based on a open source project from a code perspective and allow developers more access to the OS than IOS does. Their also inlays a problem though, the damn OS is swiss cheese from a security perspective.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Your argument contradicts itself in the opening statement. Right out the gate you say that Kongregate was on the Android but was taken off the store because it was a 3rd part app portal. lol. Android is considered open not because of the apps that it allows but because it is based on a open source project from a code perspective and allow developers more access to the OS than IOS does. Their also inlays a problem though, the damn OS is swiss cheese from a security perspective.[/citation]
I guess you missed the point. Kongregate was taken out of the market place because it was a third party app store, it's something to be expected. Only a fool would allow a product in it's store that enabled someone to buy other products from somewhere else. But you can still install Kongregate and use it's app store, no one will prevent it. That is the difference from the apple app store, if someone is denied permission to post an app on the store they're locked out of the device. Further more Apple doesn't allow open source apps in it's store.

Android is open because it's open source, but the OS is also more open to the apps we can install. On an iphone, ipod touch, ipad I can only install apps from apple store. With android I can install apps from the market place, another store or simply download the installer from a web site.

Yep Android is a nightmare in terms of security. The funny thing is that at security events like pwn 2 own apple products are the first to succumb to hackers. Also you should read more about the iphone because it has a few security issues.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]I guess you missed the point. Kongregate was taken out of the market place because it was a third party app store, it's something to be expected. Only a fool would allow a product in it's store that enabled someone to buy other products from somewhere else. But you can still install Kongregate and use it's app store, no one will prevent it. That is the difference from the apple app store, if someone is denied permission to post an app on the store they're locked out of the device. Further more Apple doesn't allow open source apps in it's store.Android is open because it's open source, but the OS is also more open to the apps we can install. On an iphone, ipod touch, ipad I can only install apps from apple store. With android I can install apps from the market place, another store or simply download the installer from a web site.Yep Android is a nightmare in terms of security. The funny thing is that at security events like pwn 2 own apple products are the first to succumb to hackers. Also you should read more about the iphone because it has a few security issues.[/citation]

1: You are not locked out of the device. Jailbreak is there for precisely that reason. to allow the installation of unauthorized applications.

2: I did not say that Apple devices where in penetrable or have no holes. All devices do and anyone who say's otherwise does not understand security.

3: Pwn 2 Own, your kidding right!! lol. that is a even sponsored by Tipping Point (a rather crappy IPS solution with a fantastic gui interface). You do know that they have a competition with a cash prize specifically to break into devices and guess what, the IPhone is the primary target in that competition simply because it is considered the market leader. Of course they compromised it, I would work my ass off to do the same damn thing for the 100k prize they offered in 2010.

We are talked a major effort by real hackers for a cash prize. (not script kiddies, the ones that actually write real code).

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]1: You are not locked out of the device. Jailbreak is there for precisely that reason. to allow the installation of unauthorized applications.[/citation]
So you're saying that if I made a software that isn't accepted into apple store I must ask all my potential clients to jailbreak their device and forfeit the warranty? That is a fantastic solution.
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]3: Pwn 2 Own, your kidding right!! lol. that is a even sponsored by Tipping Point (a rather crappy IPS solution with a fantastic gui interface). You do know that they have a competition with a cash prize specifically to break into devices and guess what, the IPhone is the primary target in that competition simply because it is considered the market leader. Of course they compromised it, I would work my ass off to do the same damn thing for the 100k prize they offered in 2010.We are talked a major effort by real hackers for a cash prize. (not script kiddies, the ones that actually write real code).[/citation]
You do know that besides the ios there's also in the contest other OSes like android, symbian and wp7. I guess that in 2007 and 2009 the macbook pro was the fastest computer to be overcome by the hackers, I guess it was also because apple is also a market leader in the desktop/laptop os.

Status
Not open for further replies.