Vintage Toshiba Satellite 210CS Will not start

Chloe Phillips

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015
Hi all, I bought a bundle of Toshiba laptops from about 1995-96' the other day and I got three of the five going and I'm not concerned about the other one as it's parts but I'd like to get this one going.

The Notebook in question is a Toshiba Satellite 210CS which for some strange reason when the power button is pressed, it lights up with the 'On' indicator but does nothing more. Initializes the CD ROM drive but does nothing else. I'm not sure whether it's RAM related because the other ones had built in and upgraded memory, or whether it's a video RAM issue. I was just wondering if these computers had known power problems? I did notice a little corrosion from the Resume Battery and the CMOS battery, but it's not been leaking on any copper tracks so that seems okay.

Does anybody have any ideas as to why this machine won't boot? I'll be searching a while on Google for sure, and I know this is vintage hardware and technically not a vintage computer forum, but hopefully somebody is as interested as I am!
Thanks

Chloe Phillips

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015

Unfortunately, the corrosion had eaten the connectors for the CMOS battery, and ripped the connector off when I had removed it. However, I know that my other Toshiba's which one of a very similar model has a dead CMOS battery of which I am yet to replace. That seems fine. Just complains every time you remove the main battery and switch it back on.