Virgin Reveals World's First Commercial Spaceship

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akhodjaev

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Is it turbine propellers? I thought there is no air in space:)))

I would want more description about this spacecraft. How many times you can reuse it. Comparison details to NASA spacecraft.

Is it again 5min of real space time or it is more this time?

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Can it play Crysis though? Lol!

On topic: This thing is great, I hope they stay in business with it because it would be terrible if this was a bust... A giant step backwards for mankind i say

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]300 people = hot demand? I'm in the wrong business.[/citation]

Hey, $60,000,000 is nothing to scoff at, especially when the public is unsure about this kind of technology.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]akhodjaev[/nom]Is it turbine propellers? I thought there is no air in space))I would want more description about this spacecraft. How many times you can reuse it. Comparison details to NASA spacecraft. Is it again 5min of real space time or it is more this time?[/citation]

Yea, I don't get it. What is taking this thing into space? Turbines taking it so far, then rockets propelling it the rest of the way???

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
No one commenting on that title? The company name is Virgin Galactic... The title makes think this was a joke against the person pulling the curtain open...

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]Will there be a coupon day for us average Joe's to known space travel?[/citation]

Don't worry, There will be LogicBuy's coupons in THG news for this space trip. Just enter the news, click Get Deal.

G

spaceship2 is in the center. its wings are the short stubby ones on the bottom with the tail fins on each side. the fuselage on each side, upper wings and engines, are part of the aircraft that carries it to a high altitude. the ss2 and its carrier aircraft have identical controls to go along with their identical nose sections

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
planes used to be for the rich too, now it is commonplace. in a few decades, the common man may be able to go into space.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]brett1042002[/nom]Yea, I don't get it. What is taking this thing into space? Turbines taking it so far, then rockets propelling it the rest of the way???[/citation]

There will be a rocket ship attached underneath. That thing in the picture is just a really big plane.. that can carry a rocket ship. The big thing with this is:

1) The plane takes it part way up, a more conventional way of getting up high (but this plane goes REALLY high compared to commercial ones, like 5 times higher, where the atmosphere is very very thin)
2) The rocket ship can then take off from the plane
3) The mothership lands on it's own accord
4) The rocket ship will land using inbuilt wings to make it act like a glider on it's decent.

If this is a success, Virgin Galatic have said they'll make an SS3, which will be an orbital craft. Which really paves way for commercial spaceflight!

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Hope they don't encounter any space debris. That was the first thing I thought of... a piece of asteroid the size of a pea in diameter slicing through that damn thing at 250,000mph.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]How does a jet engine work in space with no air?[/citation]

Well, just to play the you-know-who's you-know-what despite its not being applicable here...

Q) How can you leave Dallas to attend a staff meeting in Chicago without clothing?
A) Take clothes with you.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]brett1042002[/nom]Yea, I don't get it. What is taking this thing into space? Turbines taking it so far, then rockets propelling it the rest of the way???[/citation]
OK guys, the middle part comes off around 60,000 feet and goes by rocket after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.