Virtual machine for security ?

Suzkuki1100

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
Hello everyone, I just bought Win7 pro-64 bit laptop and I'm wondering if I install a virtual machine will it protect my host operating system against attacks (wifi included). I think I remember seeing a hyper-v video where there was a option to allow only the guest virtual machine to access the network while leaving the host OS disconnected from all traffic (correct me if I'm wrong). Since I have Win-7 without the hyper-v software, do any of the other free hypervisors offer this ? Also, I was thinking a alternative option would be to block "ALL" traffic through the host firewall while allowing the guest firewall freedom.
EDIT: Another question...if I disable the network adapter from within the host will it disconnect the virtual machine and vise versa since they're bridged ?
Thanks for any help !

USAFRet

Illustrious
I do not believe that is true. The host needs to contact the outside world, if only to pass that to the guest VM.

And even if you did, and do all your work in the VM, then that is no better than just doing it on the host.
With a good series of backups, the host system would be just as protected as a VM would be.

"EDIT: Another question...."
If the host network adapter is disabled, no traffic will flow from that system.

Suzkuki1100

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
If anyone here has Win 8 or Win Server 2012 with Hyper-V it would be easy to confirm if its possible to give the VM strict access to the adapter.
I thought the hypervisor resided between the hardware and the host OS. That would mean that disabling the adapter from within the host would have no effect on the guest.

USAFRet

Illustrious
You may be correct in your initial premise.
I use VirtualBox (reconfig for Hyper-V would be a pain).
But looking into things, I find this:
"Bridged networking

This is for more advanced networking needs such as network simulations and running servers in a guest. When enabled, VirtualBox connects to one of your installed network cards and exchanges network packets directly, circumventing your host operating system's network stack."

So yes, It would seem that VB at least can go around the host OS to talk to the outside world.
If VB can do it, Hyper-V probably can as well.