Virus on USB memory pen

smyth1214

Estimable
Dec 7, 2014
Alright, so my girlfriend gave me her USB pen as it would't show up on her computer and she had a lot of work saved on it. So I plug it into my computer and I notice Google Chrome starts to be slow and sometimes stops working. I was looking online for a fix and there was an article that told me to go into Disk part and assign the memory pen a letter. So I done this and a harddrive came up on my computer that said system reserved (Z:). It was only 99MB so I assumed this wasn't the memory pen. Then all of a sudden a removable disk came up and I knew it was the USB. When I double clicked to open it, windows explorer stopped working then my computer became unresponsive. I was forced to power up and boot it up again. This time, my keyboard and mouse stopped working. So I turned it off again and removed the USB. The mouse and keyboard started working again. I plug the USB in, planning on running a virus scan on it. As soon as I plug it in I get a windows notification saying that i need to turn on Avast (my antivirus software). I turn it on and open it up. I try to run a virus scan on removable media but when i clicked on start scan, Avast stopped working and my computer became unresponsive again. Any help would be appreciated as I do not know what to do next. Thanks.

Solution

Trollolololol

OP- Wish I had the USB to check out personally. I've had a few USB devices that didn't behave right, and they all had different reasons. You might want to try running a different AV on the USB stick. Have you considered doing a scan through a live CD? Off the top of my head, I can't name any that will do USB scanning through...

random5

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014
Hah,she's very cheeky isn't she? you know..once nurses used to make holes with small needles to prepare the spot for the large one,pretty much the case we see here,she purposefuly infected your computer,to prepare you for the larger wound,she's breaking up with you bro, I am really sorry for letting you know this firsthand.

smyth1214

Estimable
Dec 7, 2014

Hahahahaha no my computer isn't infected, I ran a full virus scan and my system seems to be fine. My friends and family usually run to me for computer help, as i'm an I.T student, but I have no idea what to do with this now haha

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Trollolololol

OP- Wish I had the USB to check out personally. I've had a few USB devices that didn't behave right, and they all had different reasons. You might want to try running a different AV on the USB stick. Have you considered doing a scan through a live CD? Off the top of my head, I can't name any that will do USB scanning through live CDs, but I'm willing to bet there's a few free ones available. Give that a shot, if you don't have any better options to try first.

Solution