Vista Features Removed from Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I appreciate senior moments, I've had many during my process of learning Windows 7.

I followed your link to other deprecated features. Note that Movie Maker is a Live feature/application available to Windows 7 users. I've never used it but need to, so I'm glad I found it.

You forget that the photo app that came with Vista was deprecated and moved to Live as well. It appears that other features may have been moved to the "cloud" as well.

I had a problem with notifications flashing up from the Notification Area and disappearing before I could respond. I just shut off a bunch of the notifications and that "fixed" the problem. Hopefully they weren't telling me my system is infected or something like that.

The biggest problem is not with deprecation but with renaming a feature or moving them. Your tip about using the search feature to find a feature is useful. I've used it several times.

Overall 7 is WAY BETTER than Vista or XP. Even my wife the Mac user has switched from Snow Leopard to 7. So far so good. Great job Microsoft.

G

Technically on #7 you can get Professional and do the XP Mode as well.

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Here's an article from Wikipedia that lists features removed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_features_removed_in_Windows_7

Also found a forum thread about Hold'em on the Windows support site:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistagaming/thread/0c095bfb-d9ab-448f-9a47-b1a841d69d95/

I followed the link and the download wasn't there. But I expect that if you had Vista Ultimate that there is a way to make Hold'em work under 7.

donaldduck

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Uhm, ok, on the whole this is a nice column (I find it difficult to call it an article), however there are a few "strange" things, such as addressing the article to total beginners (otherwise I cannot explain the very basic list of deprecated features) and then publishing "advertisement" to commercial (and expensive), complex, troubleshooting/admin software. I kinda missing the connection of the "recommendations" in relation to the deprecated features.
There are also quite a few open source alternatives to the software "recommended".

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Ok they broke the search tool, that was very nice in Vista and is useless to the point that I use a 3rd party tool. IE 8 is required, are there any sites it doesn't have an issue with, replaced. At best it's slightly better than Vista, really. The virtual PC was faster in Vista and acceptible the one in W7 is all but useless so much for the BS windows mode. VMware is your best bet now.

Also windows 7 lags for no reason at all, that never happened in Vista, and it doesn't on all 3 of the pc I run 7 on. Oh and BSODs are back with 7

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Search has sucked for several versions. I just trust luck to find my files. Don't understand what you mean about IE8. IE8 runs MUCH better than with Vista. Not using virtual PC, using a BootCamp partition so running pure Windows on the Intel Mac.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
the printers change was done so you had 1 central place to find all your addons like mice keyboard bluetooth and everything of that nature
as to the thing about add remove programs? i have a snapin call programs for that i dont know why you dont.
and you are completely missing the classic mode for your control panel theres a little blue dropdown that gives a tile mode i beleve and that makes it just like a classic control panel

does ne1 actually use outlook express? ok i know they did but come on theres much better free alternatives than live mail... thunderbird comes to mind

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
You can change the taskbar to the old view by right-clicking it and going into properties and then tell it to either never combine or combine only when taskbar is full, or something along those lines and then check the box to use small icons and there you go.

You can make the control panel less of a pain to navigate by changing the view from category to small/large icons in the pull-down menu on the top right corner in control panel view. Now, for example, printers will be in the "Printers and Devices" section, which is also listed on the start menu, at least on mine. Add/remove programs will be "programs and features" which makes a lot more sense than just "features", that's stupid. it's like they want ppl to be dumber by unlearning what to refer to a software program as and just grouping it in one vague "features" term. I hate when they make changes like that.

anyways, there are other ways to resolve other items on the list, but i cant remember how off hand

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
it says that for XP mode you need ultimate... not true... while it is not in the home version as stated, you only need profesional

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Sorry but Windows 7 is a new low that I just wont go to.
Microsoft are taking more massive backwards steps by continuing to shroud functionality with more and more ambiguous marketing metaphors that assume all PC users are morons.

For example, to me "add/remove programs" is far more accurate, descriptive and intuitive than turning on/off 'features' when you actually want to install/uninstall programs.

I'm moving all my PCs to Linux (Ubuntu) and not looking back.

PS for all those that don't realise that Microsoft are ripping you off for something you can get for free: you don't need to pay for Windows ultimate to run virtual XP. Just download free tools like VirtualBox or VMWare. Apart from being free they're more fully featured and work better/faster than Microsoft's own virtual environment anyway.

G

you could use vmware/virtualbox but you'd need to buy an extra xp license for that...

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
[citation][nom]niz[/nom]Sorry but Windows 7 is a new low that I just wont go to.Microsoft are taking more massive backwards steps by continuing to shroud functionality with more and more ambiguous marketing metaphors that assume all PC users are morons.For example, to me "add/remove programs" is far more accurate, descriptive and intuitive than turning on/off 'features' when you actually want to install/uninstall programs. I'm moving all my PCs to Linux (Ubuntu) and not looking back.PS for all those that don't realise that Microsoft are ripping you off for something you can get for free: you don't need to pay for Windows ultimate to run virtual XP. Just download free tools like VirtualBox or VMWare. Apart from being free they're more fully featured and work better/faster than Microsoft's own virtual environment anyway.[/citation]
Enjoy your Ubuntu in its new blue versions. :D

Just a couple of notes, though, since you've gotten quite a bit wrong (well, you've gotten pretty much all wrong. . . LOL)

Add/Remove Programs is now "Programs" and contains all programs, not just those that elected to be listed (as in XP). Not Features.

XP Mode is free with Professional and Ultimate. VirtualBox or VMWare are, themselves, free but they require an external XP license so you're either going to buy one that isn't restricted to a machine type/brand (the way most of the OEM ones were) or you'll just hack one.

As an IT Admin, I've no issues with the functionality of Win7. It's all still there, and typically with fewer clicks.

As to the column - lame. Sorry, not very well written, incoherent, inaccurate. :(

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
You must not be a very good IT Admin. It is called "Programs and Features" and Windows features are turned on and off there. All you had to do was open up the Control Panel to see.

I'm going to guess that you couldn't write any better, coherently or accurately. Not sure why everyone is complaining about the writing and not the information. Most of the posters have been wrong about what they've said. From what I can gather Guy's blog is ongoing. While this is my first time here I can't imagine that it is everybody's first time.

As for an XP license, I imagine that most people here have owned a computer for more than a couple of years which means they have an XP license which they upgraded to Vista and now to 7. So you just install the XP you already own. It might be different in the UK, but that's what I've done when I've needed an extra license.

The post was meant to a simple musing on something that struck Guy as interesting. No need to criticize the post. Just don't come back if it is not valuable.

G

These two articles summarize in the best way what we lost from XP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_features_removed_in_Windows_Vista
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_features_removed_in_Windows_7
Quite a lot of functionality. I have decided to stay with XP till its end of support 2014 since Vista Ultimate support ends earlier! in 2012 and Windows 7 Ultimate ends in 2015 (just a year later than XP).

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Unless you have a very large investment in XP software you are missing out on a significant improvement in performance and ease of use.

That said, I still argue that MacWrite, which fit on a single 400K floppy WITH the Mac OS and room for storage, is more Word Processing software than most people need. Software development focuses on adding features that few people use and even those that use them, use them rarely. The focus is on "What can we do?" not "What is really needed and how can we keep hardware requirements to a minimum?" The same goes for hardware, more, more, more whether 99% of users need it or not.

XP was a good operating system. If you are happy with it, keep using it. But 7 is a vast improvement over XP despite its faults. The dissatisfaction with deprecation speaks more to a dislike of change than to a real loss of features used by majority of users.

decepticon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Toolbars are my biggest gripe with Win7. I used to be able to drop "My Computer" at the top of my desktop and it automatically created a toolbar at the top that showed everything in "My Computer". Loved this since I had instant access to all my drives and network shares. Now I have to use a 3rd party app to get the same (well somewhat same) functionality.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Wow, you guys need to get over yourselves. Nobody on here is a computer guru by any means. Why else would you be reading an article on what is no longer there if you already knew?

With that in mind, I've owned XP and Windows 7. I skipped vista, but used it on a friends computer (and hated it). I also beta tested Vista and Windows 7 before they released.

Those of you worried about using XP in Windows 7, keep in mind that it DOES NOT support graphics acceleration. So any program that would benefit does not. For that, you need something like VirtualBox (which is free and runs very well in windows 7) and a real copy of windows XP. Regardless, I've only found one program that didn't work in windows 7 right out of the box, and I'm running the 64-bit version. That's really saying something.

Truthfully, I can care less what they call the folders as long as they have what I'm looking for. And if you're worried about your settings being hard to find, create a "godmode" folder (you don't actually have to call it that either).

Status
Not open for further replies.