VLC record issue

LipkinJA

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
I'm trying to extract a clip from an MPEG-2 file using VLC 2.1.0 on Windows 7. File keeps saving as an audio-only MP3. Any suggestions?

Solution
I was going to do a test record to see if I could duplicate the problem but after customizing the interface to include the record button VLC crashed and won't reopen. Going to restart and see what happens. Will be back with the results.

Edit: Had to uninstall and then reinstall to get VLC to work. I selected an .mp4 file and recorded about 30 seconds of it. I opened the saved file and had audio and video. I did not change any of the settings. One suggestion I have read is to disable video acceleration before recording. This can be done by going to Tools> Preferences> Video> remove the check beside Accelerated video output (Overlay). You can try that and see if it helps.

LipkinJA

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks for the advice. The MPEG video plays just fine in VLC. The problem arises when I try to record an excerpt of it using VLC's "Record" feature. It saves the clip as an audio-only MP3.

I was going to do a test record to see if I could duplicate the problem but after customizing the interface to include the record button VLC crashed and won't reopen. Going to restart and see what happens. Will be back with the results.

Edit: Had to uninstall and then reinstall to get VLC to work. I selected an .mp4 file and recorded about 30 seconds of it. I opened the saved file and had audio and video. I did not change any of the settings. One suggestion I have read is to disable video acceleration before recording. This can be done by going to Tools> Preferences> Video> remove the check beside Accelerated video output (Overlay). You can try that and see if it helps.

Solution