Voices through headset are extremely muted or non-existent

kurotsuki007

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Hey yall,

Today, I started up my computer, went on skype and now I can't hear a single voice even though I know they are talking. When I watch an anime (I've tried multiple) Same issue, no voices just background music.

However, if I use just my speakers the sound works perfectly no issue. However, having the voices come through the speakers is not an option I can work with.

I have tried rebooting, un-installed and re-installed my audio drivers. Went to the MFG website to get the most recent drivers.

I've checked all my levels and I have every setting I can find set to Mono but everything still seems to play likw I have a 5.1 system and the voices are coming through the center.

I have tried slowly unplugging the jack and the voices to come back for a second but gone after I try plugging it in again.

I am using Razer carcharias headphones and have had no issue with them before.
Computer:
Win 7
ASUS 970 Extreme3
AMD FX-8120 CPU
EVGA Geforce 560ti

Janet Montana

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
i had this problem on acer laptop tried everything nothing worked in settings except for the one thing i did not see realtek audio has a kareoke setting click on the the the cartoon person with mic to make the small x disappear wa la , it works. tough to see and figure out.

vlevy

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Check your microphone-enabled earphones; they may not support listening on a computer. If you're using JVC HAFR36S marshmallow earphones or similar, try pressing the inline remote button; doesn't that help things? To solve the problem, use ordinary headphones.

Joie

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
Hi, I'm having this problem too. I've tried two sets of headphones and in both cases I can just hear a whisper of the speech as though it's in the far distance. The rest of the sound is absolutely fine.

I have also plugged speakers in, using the same socket (the only sound out socket I have) and the speakers are fine. This is really strange. And very annoying. I need headphones because I have insomnia and on those nights that I can't sleep at all I need to be able to watch telly (on computer) without waking my partner. Stressed!

Oh, also, I'm Ubuntu, and I had no problems until 2 days ago.

sjohnson2005

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014

sjohnson2005

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
Janet Montana...I also have an Acer and am having this "heavily muted" issue. Where do I find this little "cartoon person with mic" to to delete his "x"?? Please help!! Thanks you!!