VOIP questions and referral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Authenthic

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Hi and thanks all for reading i am having diffuculties understanding the entire concept of VOIP because i am new to this and i understand that it uses tcp/ip protocols in order to travel over the interne but what i do not get is

is it always free like for example vonage offers voip for 10 a month and after 3 months is 30

but i wanted to know i have verizon but is that voip i mean my phone calls do appear on my tv? but what is that regular phone line considered

and i have my final question

vonage says includeds calls to landline phones and mobile

so can it call regular house phones?

Solution
Skype-to-Skype calls are free, as are most other same-to-same VoIP calls through all other VoIP provider I remember hearing or reading about.

Skype-In/Out (calling normal phones or getting a DID number so people can call you from normal phones on your Skype account) which allows you to use your Skype account as a normal phone has fees.

InvalidError

Distinguished
There are a few types of different VoIP services and some of them like Skype use a proprietary client people can use for free between users of the same network but need to pay to dial phone numbers.

There are also companies providing standards-based VoIP using SIP and those work almost exactly like normal phones apart from requiring an internet connection instead of analog phone line once configured.

One popular provider for standard VoIP service is voip.ms - starts at $2/month in most places and you get nearly every feature imaginable as standard.

Kevin Authenthic

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013

for example then on skype who ever else has skype i can voip with them through the internet?

and i also heard you can buy a skype phone therefore if let say my family member also owns skype me and them will always talk free?

and last question
you said that my regular house phone that is currently probably connected to PSTN network can be switched to voip and then start using my regular house phone to send digital singal?

also you said to dial regular phones it will cost me right? and that is why is it good to transfer completely to voip in order to get all features of calling anywhere

InvalidError

Distinguished
Skype-to-Skype calls are free, as are most other same-to-same VoIP calls through all other VoIP provider I remember hearing or reading about.

Skype-In/Out (calling normal phones or getting a DID number so people can call you from normal phones on your Skype account) which allows you to use your Skype account as a normal phone has fees.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.