VOTW: The Making of the Chevy Volt

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
good catch seraphimcaduto the price is listed at 40K and with all the deductions it's 32K! Now were gettin down to the range where I live! Still can't afford this car tho! dang it. My price range is >20K. Even tho battery is backed with a 8yr 100 mile warranty what we gonna do with all these batteries? Will it fit in my trash can?

I had a Prius for a couple of years ... this looks a bit nicer in terms of shape.

Some little known Extreme Prius facts from me:

The Prius will not do reverse spinouts or rollbacks.

When you get one airborne it tends to land heavy ... the suspension is hard ... the plastic fairing under the front of the car smashes easily.

The paint scratches easily ... the front bumper has more paint than any other surface.

The rear bumper has much less paint and scratches easily.

The Prius does not handle less of traction well unless driving in a straight line ... get it sideways in the rain and your on your own.

As the batteries are under the rear seat and very heavy, when you brake hard on a wet road it aquaplanes.

I managed to get the Prius to use 16 Litres to the 100KM by hammering it and driving with the handbrake full on .. 5.1 normally.

The front driver's side mat also would jam the accelerator at times.

The seats in the Prius stain easily.

The radio knobs snap ... best to make sure they are locked in the recessed position.

The passenger seat is therefore not well suited to intimate encounters.

If you run the Prius out of juice (which I did deliberately to see) the batteries (full charge) can take you about a mile ... really ... a whole mile .... sheesh.

If GM can address some of these issues the Prius has, then I'll consider buying one of these Volts.

:)

G

Was that a Cadillac and a Buick I on the same assembly line? The Caddy was at 1:18 and the Buick was at 1:29. Looks like a few other cars were mixed in too. I thought assembly lines were dedicated, but then again, the Volt is a low volume car so maybe it doesn't need its own line.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
The gas milage is a lie, this Obama motors car gets about 35mpg not 99 like they say. My gasoline Honda does as the same. They play a numbers game to scam the data. But the liberals will buy this subsidized union trash and ride around with their noses in the air thinking they are saving the whales or what ever they are told buy the media.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]$7500 in government subsidies...so even when I'm not buying a volt, i'm buying a volt.[/citation]
it's really messed up that uncle sam is wasting our tax money...us car makers need to step it up and start building diesel cars not electric cars

Status
Not open for further replies.