VP Joe Biden Meeting with Gun and Games Industry Concludes, No Official Statemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xatos

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Nothing like a genius VP getting the job done alongside the One.

I'm so damned tired of this stupid liberalism crap.

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
You aren't exactly helping the point edogawa ..

I hope they don't start banning games or other entertainment. THere are rating systems for a reason, it is up to parents to know what is best for children.

neoverdugo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
The last thing the US needs is that "scumbag" of VP to mess with the video game industry as he Nuked Megaupload. Like I said before: Ban the sale of semi-auto and automatic guns to ALL CITIZENS, and Ban the sale of mentally and emotionally unstable idiots!!!

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
You know parents.... video games have ratings for a reason. Stop buying M rated games for your 12 year old and they might not ever get the dumb idea to play shoot-em-up in real life 10 years down the road.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]Games have nothing to do with the violence...if they start banning violent games like GTA, I will rage.[/citation]They won't, and the USA constitution says so (freedom of speech). The only reason the games industry is being dragged into the discussion is because the NRA was blaming them (an the lack of mental health services) for the Sandy Hook massacre.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
There is NOTHING WRONG with video game violence. FFS, it's social media and idiotic Super Nanny-dependent parenting. While part of me wants to just blindly adopt Australia's gun control laws, we'll have the exact same problem we did during the Prohibition era, just with guns, instead. Our boarders are not secure enough and Mexico will never have its act together to get rid of the drug cartels, and weapons (guns, particularly) will be smuggled. We practically need a DMZ between the US and Mexico.

I wish people would stop wasting their time talking about treating mental health and focus on the availability of the types of guns people probably shouldn't have (anything concealed, anything automatic). We need to do that, and pass laws on a federal level on obtaining guns. I hear in Arizona, they might as well sell guns at Toys R' Us, it's easy enough to get a gun there.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I will sum up this entire meeting for them, and save us some tax payer money in travel expenses, and save them some time:

THE SHOOTER WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CRIME, NOT THE GUNS, NOT THE VIDEO GAMES!

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]They won't, and the USA constitution says so (freedom of speech). The only reason the games industry is being dragged into the discussion is because the NRA was blaming them (an the lack of mental health services) for the Sandy Hook massacre.[/citation]

They could. Perhaps you forget US history, and world history. Remember, history repeats itself.

Remember twenty something years ago when they had this little thing where you could be labeled as a communist by your neighbor and get jailed? Woah! The constitution was already in place then too!

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]There is NOTHING WRONG with video game violence. FFS, it's social media and idiotic Super Nanny-dependent parenting. While part of me wants to just blindly adopt Australia's gun control laws, we'll have the exact same problem we did during the Prohibition era, just with guns, instead. Our boarders are not secure enough and Mexico will never have its act together to get rid of the drug cartels, and weapons (guns, particularly) will be smuggled. We practically need a DMZ between the US and Mexico.I wish people would stop wasting their time talking about treating mental health and focus on the availability of the types of guns people probably shouldn't have (anything concealed, anything automatic). We need to do that, and pass laws on a federal level on obtaining guns. I hear in Arizona, they might as well sell guns at Toys R' Us, it's easy enough to get a gun there.[/citation]

I disagree. I think that video games can have a PROFOUND effect upon youth. If you ARE a young person reading this it is probable that won't notice the effect upon yourself until you are older and reflect back. You may disagree at this point in time, but you must realize that your life is still just begining and you have a very small perspective on which to make your basis upon. It has been researched and said that the adult mind does not stop developing until around age 35. Consider this if you believe you have finally gotten a good grasp on life. I assure you that you will never stop learning, facing new hardships, or developing your perspectives and your character.

The fact is, media influences us. If it didn't advertising wouldn't be a multi-trillion dollar industry.

But aside from the influence, one simply cannot go door to door and take away other people's freedoms.

It is up to parents to keep their children from being influenced by violence in the home - not the responsibility of the government.

Afterall, where does one draw the line? Will we be told that we cannot spank our kids but that Uncle Sam is responsible for that too? Discipline is the job of a parent.

It isn't the job of the government to educate our children when it comes to morals, math, science, politics, religion, sex, or anything else. It is a PARENT'S RESPONSIBILITY TO RAISE THEIR CHILD. If you can't handle that responsibility, don't have kids. If you have them anyway, then step up and start learning to be an adult, man or mother. Put the child first, before yourself. It's natural, and the more you do that the more you will come to see it is right. Selfishness only leads to heartache for a parent in the long run.

Not every child is the same, and they cannot be coddled them forever. But as an attentive parent who has educated themselves about how to educate a child we should be able to discern our child's maturity and gauge what they are or are not ready for. Most importantly, we must teach our children the importance of teaching their children, and to impress upon their child that it will also be important to carry on the tradition of eduction throughout future generations.

Having a child is the biggest responsibility one can ever face in life. It far outweighs anything else. We can look back and let the "unfairness" of our childhood rule us, or work to give our children better than what we had despite the hardships that we faced and had to overcome.

Work is only a means to provide, but if we fail to provide other resources, such as our time and our love, such as morals, such as how to share and love others before ourselves, etc. then the child may just as well starve because without learning things like the necessity of self defense but how to properly handle a weapon the end result is death regardless. Food and clothing do not complete Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs.

If you don't know what that is, google it. Take the time to decipher how your parents did, and if you notice an area where your parents could have improved, then make certain you improve that area (and all areas) when you become a parent. At the same time, have some faith that as long as you love your child and try your best - your child will turn out just fine.

/rant

P.S. I was raised in a religious home but am an atheist. To further explain my stance I will share this quote:

"A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear and punishment and hope of reward after death." ~ Albert Einstein

minidruid

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
better call up hot wheels and all toy car manufacturers in hopes the can solve some of our automobile related deaths and accidents.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]I disagree. I think that video games can have a PROFOUND effect upon youth. If you ARE a young person reading this it is probable that won't notice the effect upon yourself until you are older and reflect back. You may disagree at this point in time, but you must realize that your life is still just begining and you have a very small perspective on which to make your basis upon. It has been researched and said that the adult mind does not stop developing until around age 35. Consider this if you believe you have finally gotten a good grasp on life. I assure you that you will never stop learning, facing new hardships, or developing your perspectives and your character.The fact is, media influences us. If it didn't advertising wouldn't be a multi-trillion dollar industry.But aside from the influence, one simply cannot go door to door and take away other people's freedoms.It is up to parents to keep their children from being influenced by violence in the home - not the responsibility of the government.Afterall, where does one draw the line? Will we be told that we cannot spank our kids but that Uncle Sam is responsible for that too? Discipline is the job of a parent.It isn't the job of the government to educate our children when it comes to morals, math, science, politics, religion, sex, or anything else. It is a PARENT'S RESPONSIBILITY TO RAISE THEIR CHILD. If you can't handle that responsibility, don't have kids. If you have them anyway, then step up and start learning to be an adult, man or mother. Put the child first, before yourself. It's natural, and the more you do that the more you will come to see it is right. Selfishness only leads to heartache for a parent in the long run.Not every child is the same, and they cannot be coddled them forever. But as an attentive parent who has educated themselves about how to educate a child we should be able to discern our child's maturity and gauge what they are or are not ready for. Most importantly, we must teach our children the importance of teaching their children, and to impress upon their child that it will also be important to carry on the tradition of eduction throughout future generations.Having a child is the biggest responsibility one can ever face in life. It far outweighs anything else. We can look back and let the "unfairness" of our childhood rule us, or work to give our children better than what we had despite the hardships that we faced and had to overcome.Work is only a means to provide, but if we fail to provide other resources, such as our time and our love, such as morals, such as how to share and love others before ourselves, etc. then the child may just as well starve because without learning things like the necessity of self defense but how to properly handle a weapon the end result is death regardless. Food and clothing do not complete Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs.If you don't know what that is, google it. Take the time to decipher how your parents did, and if you notice an area where your parents could have improved, then make certain you improve that area (and all areas) when you become a parent. At the same time, have some faith that as long as you love your child and try your best - your child will turn out just fine./rantP.S. I was raised in a religious home but am an atheist. To further explain my stance I will share this quote:"A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear and punishment and hope of reward after death." ~ Albert Einstein[/citation]

Nice wall of (opinion) text there.
Opinions are like @$$holes... everybody has one.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I still don't really get it. When you look at the data, violent crime in the US is at the lowest rate it's ever been in the history of the country. It was actually highest around the time of the country's founding, before any of the modern media existed.

So, I want to know, what is the assertion of an "epidemic" of violence based on? If the Obama administration has some facts that I haven't seen in regards to evidence of a worsening problem with gun violence, I'd be happy to look at them and reconsider.

Status
Not open for further replies.