VP Joe Biden Meeting with Gun and Games Industry Concludes, No Official Statemen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]It is a PARENT'S RESPONSIBILITY TO RAISE THEIR CHILD. If you can't handle that responsibility, don't have kids.[/citation]
Will you run for President? I know too many irresponsible parents that never should have conceived. *smh*

[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]"A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear and punishment and hope of reward after death." ~ Albert Einstein[/citation]
I'm atheist, too. Love this quote.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Since a lot of parents don't know what their kids are doing (and never will) and some of the shootings have been carried out by adults influenced by these games, then there needs to be strong action by Biden. This is a seminal moment that should be grasped. Unfortunately, there will always be a small number of people influenced negatively by these games and therefore a number of steps, such as stopping the portrayal of human deaths, should be taken. The graphics are only going to get more realistic which is worrying.

fnh

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
I disagree with any gun control attempt in America.

Primarily because it's the best way for Americans themselves to legally terrorise each other, without any terrorist/political/extremist/blowback group needing to buy plane tickets just to get there and cause mayhem.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I love the hypocrtitcal laws set out in the USA. It is illegal, and frowned upon, to possess and use all sorts of different narcotics, to prevent people from killing or harming themselves. But it's absolutely fine to possess firearms that have the potential to seriously maim and ruin the lives of 10s of other people in one go. For every million rational, perfectly safe gun owners, that would probably never even harm a fly, there will always be a handful of rotten eggs, with obvious mental issues - Who have the potential to wreak so much havoc, and destroy so many lives.

Violence and paranoia breeds more of the same. Trying to find a scapegoat to take the blame for the actions of a few rotten eggs is just.... SO irresponsible. Instead of finding an effective solution, the NGA is just trying to pull the distract everyone from the real issues. Children are being murdered by people that should never even come close to getting their hands on weapons.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Pfft, idiots in politics just want a "quick fix" so they decide to pin the blame on the gaming industry, because to your average idiot, it'll make sense.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Guys, you need to chill. Govt. will never take your guns, because that would be political suicide. Besides, they don't even need to do that to keep you in check. I've heard the "tyranny of the government" argument so many times, yet does anyone here think that they stand any chance against a single laser-guided missile, regardless of how many guns he/she may have in their house? Get real, they'll let you keep your toys and they'll get to keep their jobs.
All this fear-mongering is propaganda to make record-sales of even more toys. Next up, a artificially limited supply to encourage a price hike. Gun manufacturers are really enjoying this "crisis".

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
All I am looking for is a ban of the Call of Duty series. Let me be clear, Im not calling for a ban on anything other than the overdone, yearly release of a series that has turned into a huge pile of dog poo.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I would imagine there's a possibility that thousands of gun owners would march if Obama tried to take their guns. If you're a cop making $40k, is it really worth it to break up gun wielding protesters? Also, I don't think he has the balls to take it to the next level.

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
[citation][nom]Nakal[/nom]You aren't exactly helping the point edogawa ..I hope they don't start banning games or other entertainment. THere are rating systems for a reason, it is up to parents to know what is best for children.[/citation]

I know, your right. It's just we have ratings in place already and parents are not doing their job to parent correctly. If I had kids, I would never allow them to play a shooter until they are 14 at least.

When I was a kid I was on the Atari 2600 and NES, a time when we did not need game ratings.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]fnh[/nom]I disagree with any gun control attempt in America. Primarily because it's the best way for Americans themselves to legally terrorise each other, without any terrorist/political/extremist/blowback group needing to buy plane tickets just to get there and cause mayhem.[/citation]

An assault rifle isn't the only thing that is used daily to kill a bunch of children.

To name a few other things that tens of thousands of children around the world fall victim to DAILY are: carelessness and neglect BY PARENTS to include: starvation, falls, heatstroke, hypothermia, drowning, machinery, explosives, poisons and chemicals, drugs/medications, bullying, improper gun control, bullying. These can all result in accidents or suicides just to name a few. It's up to a parent and a government to keep a child safe. But both psychological and physical safety should ultimately rest in the hands of the individual guardian/parent. Not the government. It is this family tie that American's value, which is why we believe in gun ownership. A parent is a child's main and last defense. The government will take our sons and daughter, put a gun in their hands and use them to fight war. Some video games are created and paid for by the military! Now they want to outlaw them? if we want to be a peaceful world we need to teach our children to love peace, hate war, but understand that it is necessary. War is not going to go away as long as there are human beings. Simple fact.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."

The real reason that the rest of the world seems to dislike America? Since WWII we have been the top military power. Nothing else need be done by Americans to be hated.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Oh yeah... guns don't kill people... video games do... I thought last time it was the movies...
In Holland kids spend 3 times more time playing video games on average than in the US and yet that country's gun violence rate is 1/10th of that of the US... wonder why?...
That's right, guns don't kill people, it's assholes with guns, lots of guns.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Guys, you need to chill. Govt. will never take your guns, because that would be political suicide. Besides, they don't even need to do that to keep you in check. I've heard the "tyranny of the government" argument so many times, yet does anyone here think that they stand any chance against a single laser-guided missile, regardless of how many guns he/she may have in their house? . . . blah, blah, blah.[/citation]

Hey sport, ask the Taliban if you can fight against a modern army with small arms. They're not the ones leaving the country with their tails between their legs.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]svdb[/nom]Oh yeah... guns don't kill people... video games do... I thought last time it was the movies...In Holland kids spend 3 times more time playing video games on average than in the US and yet that country's gun violence rate is 1/10th of that of the US... wonder why?...That's right, guns don't kill people, it's assholes with guns, lots of guns.[/citation]
If it's not guns, it will be knives. What do we do then, ban knives? That's what Brits are trying to do right now. Britain banned guns about 15 years ago and they now have the highest violent crime rate in the EU. Yeah, gun deaths are down, but rapes, beatings, robberies, etc. are off scale.

Guns are tools, nothing more, nothing less. They're not evil and they're not responsible for the crimes committed by the people who use them. More lives are saved every day by a gun wielding citizen in America than are killed in a year--2.5 million times a year a gun is used to stop a crime . . . usually by a citizen. Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]You obviously don't have a clue how laws are passed in the USA. The House of Representatives writes them. Then Senate has to approve them, then the President.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite [...] sentatives[/citation]
Hey, sport, you obviously don't have a clue how laws are passed in the USA. The House of Representatives, OR the Senate writes them and passes them then the other house must pass that one or another similar bill. The differences between the two are then worked out in conference. Once both houses agree and pass the same bill, THEN it is sent to the Pres for his signature or veto. If it is vetoed, then a 2/3 majority in both houses is necessary to override that veto.

It is only on bills pertaining to spending or taxation that the House must be the sole originator.

Status
Not open for further replies.