VR Computer- Struggling to find the right one

jdcompy

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Hi all,

Thank you in advance for your time and attention :)

For the last two weeks, I have scoured Best Buy, Amazon, NewEgg, Frys, and even Google looking for affordable VR computers. I thought I had found a couple decent computers for around 800 but each came with only a 3 or 4 gb video card and I'm worried that a year from now, this won't be enough to keep up. I'd hate to sink money into a computer that I know I will have to upgrade in the very near future. I know I can find fantastic computers for many much dollars but am really needing to spend under 1200. One of my main requirements for the computer is that it comes with a 6 or more gb graphics card - I really think this will make a huge difference.

The computer's intended use is really only VR gaming. Maybe I'll watch a movie or two on it. But, for the most part, just gaming. Probably even some non-VR gaming. I don't have any games in mind because I've never really had a computer that could play new games so I'm hoping to just see as I go.

I tried out PC Part Picker just to see what parts cost and it's ~$1200 but I definitely don't feel confident in putting it all together. I'd prefer to purchase a pre-built computer. And, I've got to believe that pre-built computers would be cheaper because a company is churning these out.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HLTmP3

I know I need at LEAST an i5 or similar AMD.
I'm hoping for 16gb of ram but may settle for 8 with room to upgrade later.
I know I need plenty of USB - the more 3.0s the better
And, a graphics card that is 6+ gb.

It feels like options are very limited - but I also feel like maybe I just don't know where to look.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

Any links to specific computers would be very much appreciated!

Thank you :)

JD

jdcompy

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Hi jacob!

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I definitely appreciate the link! I went through and even after choosing every option I could to subtract cost, the lowest I could get the PC to was almost $2500. This is more than I can spend, but thank you.

Any other ideas would be amazing!

Thank you!

Sakkura

Distinguished
Under normal circumstances, a prebuilt gaming computer would not be cheaper than building yourself, and would often actually be more expensive. And always lower quality.

However, right now there's a shortage of graphics cards, so you have to pay a lot more to get one. But the prebuilt makers have supply contracts so they still have cards available and don't really charge more than usual for complete systems.

I'm not sure 6GB vs. 4GB will really make much of a difference, but generally more powerful graphics cards come with more VRAM anyway, and you want the most powerful card possible.

You can take a system like this, and customize it with a Ryzen 5 1600, RX 580 8GB or GTX 1060 6GB (effectively on par), a Corsair CX650M power supply, and maybe skip the included peripherals if you want to save the last few bucks. No SSD, but you can always add that later.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/AMD-Ryzen-7-Configurator

jdcompy

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Hi Sakkura-

Thank you for your reply!

I've never been to their site but very very interesting! And, it allows for nice customization. Falls a bit short in USB areas even with the extra 4, I think, but - this looks really nice and customizable.

What do you all think of this?

*BASE_PRICE: [+1099]
BLKFRISALE1: 6-FT HDMI Flat Cable, V1.4, Supports 3D & 4K Resolution, Gold Plated Connector Cable [+5] (1 piece)
BLUETOOTH: None
CABLE: None
CARE1: Cooler Master Mastergel Maker CPU-Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
CAS: CyberPowerPC INFERNO Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ RGB, USB 3.0, Tempered Glass Window [-4] (Black Color)
CASUPGRADE: RGB Multi-Color 16 color LED 1x interior light strip w/ Remote Controller
CC: None
CD: None
CD2: None
COOLANT: None
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz [3.8GHz Turbo] Eight-Core 16MB L3 Cache 95W Processor
CS_FAN: 3x RAIDMAX NV-R120 120mm RGB Hydraulic bearing Fans
ENGRAVING: None
EVGA_POWER: None
FA_HDD: None
FAN: AMD Ryzen Premium Wraith CPU Cooler for Socket AM4 with RGB programmable LED [-10]
FLASHMEDIA: None
HD_M2SSD: None
HD_PCIE1X_SSD: None
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
HEADSET: None
IUSB: Internal USB 3.0 4-Port Hub [+25]
KEYBOARD: CyberPowerPC RGB 7 Color Premium Gaming Keyboard
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR4/2400MHz Dual Channel Memory (Performance Memory by Major Brands)
MONITOR: None
MOPAD: None
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac AM4 ATX w/ RGB, AC WiFi, Intel LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe [+8]
MOUSE: CyberpowerPC Standard 4000 DPI with Weight System Optical Gaming Mouse
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
NOISEREDUCE1: Power Supply Gasket [+5]
NOISEREDUCE2: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
RUSH: Standard processing time: ship within 12 to 15 Business Days
SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
SLI_BRIDGE: None
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Video Card [VR Ready] [+64] (Single Card)
WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 1 Year Parts WARRANTY
WNC: None
WTV: None
_PRICE: (+1230)
_view_: {9AEB9F0F-7D64-462B-B582-FFEA2B5A015D}
_load_: 2/8/2018 9:09:08 PM

aquielisunari

Distinguished

I don't see a GFX card.

I'd pass on the standard PSU. Pay a little extra for a quality PSU.

Sakkura

Distinguished

This is the graphics card:

I agree about the PSU. That "standard" unit is likely poor quality.

jdcompy

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
I have some options for PSU

800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready - I'll save $6

1,000 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Power Supply - I'll pay an additional $8

600 Watts - EVGA 600 80 PLUS Power Supply - I'll pay an additional $12

Thoughts?

----

Also,

I don't need to add a wireless card right? It's IN the motherboard, isn't it?

Thanks!

Sakkura

Distinguished
Wireless depends which motherboard model you pick, it's included in the Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac.

As for the power supply, those "Standard" models are likely really low quality, and more wattage doesn't really compensate for that. If you want to really penny-pinch I guess the EVGA 600 unit could do, but I'd really want to step up at least to the Corsair CX650M. Actually I'd personally want to pick something even better, but their prices get pretty ridiculous.

jdcompy

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Thank you for the thoughts -

A few more questions:

1) Are all my pieces "compatible" ?

2) I'd like to be able to play VR but also have the same visual on my monitor. I see only 1 HDMI on the video card. Can I use a standard HDMI splitter? Would I get an adapter for the Display Port 1.4 HDR to change into HDMI?

3) Is this computer a solid computer? Is it overkill for VR and standard games?

4) Weird question but, I'd rather not have to leave the front of the case open to access the USB hub I've added. Do you think they might put the hub in the back of the computer? Or, do you think it'll end up in the front? This is the case: CyberPowerPC INFERNO Mid-Tower Gaming Case. And, the hub https://s.cppc.co/images/hu/hu-506-101.jpg

5) Do I even need to spend the $25 on a 4-USB hub?

6) Any other ideas/recommendations/thoughts?

Thank you again so much for everything!

----
After all the tweaks:

*BASE_PRICE: [+1099]
BLKFRISALE1: CyberpowerPC Gaming Mouse Pad [+0]
CARE1: Cooler Master Mastergel Maker CPU-Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
CAS: CyberPowerPC INFERNO Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ RGB, USB 3.0, Tempered Glass Window [-4] (Black Color)
CASUPGRADE: RGB Multi-Color 16 color LED 1x interior light strip w/ Remote Controller
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz [3.8GHz Turbo] Eight-Core 16MB L3 Cache 95W Processor
CS_FAN: 3X 120mm Case Fans for your selected case [+9]
FAN: AMD Ryzen Premium Wraith CPU Cooler for Socket AM4 with RGB programmable LED [-10]
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
IUSB: Internal USB 3.0 4-Port Hub [+25]
KEYBOARD: CyberPowerPC RGB 7 Color Premium Gaming Keyboard
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR4/2400MHz Dual Channel Memory (Performance Memory by Major Brands)
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac AM4 ATX w/ RGB, AC WiFi, Intel LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe [+8]
MOUSE: CyberpowerPC Standard 4000 DPI with Weight System Optical Gaming Mouse
POWERSUPPLY: 650 Watts - Corsair CX650M CX Series Modular 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply [+28]
PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
USBHD: None
_PRICE: (+1262)
_view_: {BBF9AEFD-0992-495A-A51E-BCB5D106F973}
_load_: 2/9/2018 10:32:54 PM

Sakkura

Distinguished
1) Yes.

2) I don't know if an HDMI splitter would work, maybe. But I'd just plug the monitor into DisplayPort, via an adapter if necessary.

3) The Ryzen 7 1700X might be a bit overkill for VR and general games, compared to a Ryzen 5 1600. Then again the price difference is pretty small. The rest of the system is appropriate. Heck, for VR an even better GPU would be nice, but the RX 580 will do well and a more powerful card probably breaks the budget.

4) That particular USB hub goes in a front drive bay. But there are ways to get extra USB ports at the back panel, with PCIe adapters for example.

5) Really depends how much other stuff you want to plug in.

jdcompy

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Okay,

Thank you all/especially Sakkura

I've made a few final tweaks after doing a little more research on things like power supply - the corsair I had chosen had some awful reviews..

Here is my final - I'd like to put the order in tonight before the sale ends.

How does it look? Is everything still compatible? Will I be able to easily add more ram or a usb slot at a later time?
And, do you think all the rgb color stuff is okay? Or will it mix up the colors because one part is one color and another part is another? I paid extra in a few places to get non-rgb to try to avoid this problem.

Thank you for your thoughts!!

*BASE_PRICE: [+1125]
BLKFRISALE1: CyberpowerPC Elite M1 131 RGB 7-Color w/ 9 Button, adjustable Weight & lighting effects Gaming Mouse [+5]
BLKFRISALE2: CYBERPOWERPC Skorpion K2 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard [+5]
BLKFRISALE3: CyberpowerPC Gaming Mouse Pad [+0]
CAS: Phanteks Eclipse P300 ATX Mini-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, RGB 10 Color LED & Tempered Glass Window [-2]
CS_FAN: 3X 120mm Case Fans for your selected case [+9]
ENGRAVING_MSG:
FAN: ENERMAX ETS-N31 CPU Cooler w/ Aluminum Fins, Copper Heat Pipes & 92mm PWM fan [-18]
HDD: 3TB (3TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+32] (Single Drive)
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: None [-5]
MOUSE: None [-3]
POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts - Enermax Revo DUO series 700Watts 80 Plus Gold high-efficient airflow w/ Dual Fans Power Supply [+36]
VIVE_HEADSET: None
_PRICE: (+1299)
_view_: {EED2E1CD-51C8-4325-A89F-E5457F81D8F1}
_load_: 2/12/2018 12:16:39 PM