Wallpaper Screens Are Real: LG's Millimeter-Thick OLED

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I'm not sure why LG is the only company making OLED. It does seem like the future to me. I really hoped that we would see more of it by now. Maybe we can look forward to some head mounted displays utilizing OLED.

cenpjas

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Samsung and LG really like to fight it out. I suspect Samsung with the 2015 range of curved AMOLED screens and the higher colour definition have decided to concentrate on that until OLED becomes a more affordable technology. If I remember correctly did Samsung not display an OLED flexable display 9 months ago of around 144" that you could change from flat to curved via the TV remote?

I don't think Samsung or Sony have left the market, its just the tech is not ready (affordable) for the masses.

BTW: I presume a magnetic mat would not affect the screen?

cenpjas

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
"Samsung merged its LCD and OLED businesses in 2012, but it has now decided to separate them into two companies once again. The split will allow Samsung to make decisions for OLED separately of its much larger LCD business, and the move is seen as a new chance for the OLED business. Samsung is also believed to consider further investments in OLED in addition to the new £3.6 billion plant that will produce OLED displays, including flexible displays.

The announcement comes shortly after rumors have emerged that Samsung is planning to return to OLED TVs. The company put its OLED TV plans on hold in early 2014.

Samsung’s display division had a tough 2014 as profitability in LCDs fell. OLED panels - used mostly in its own Galaxy phones - remain very profitable for Samsung Display.

The names of the new divisions have not been announced." - from a quick google, source 'Business Korea'.

lorfa

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
How does this work though? Like how do you plug in power/hdmi/etc. The connectors are deeper than the display.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
I'm not sure why LG is the only company making OLED. It does seem like the future to me. I really hoped that we would see more of it by now. Maybe we can look forward to some head mounted displays utilizing OLED.

LG is the only one because they are less worried about Unit failure.
You probably dont know about this but OLED TVs are very, very easy to burn in or have Image Retention (more so than the last batches of plasmas that were selling), very low Real Refresh rate so Motion Blur is something that can be an issue in action movies and most importantly OLED pixes seem to have a tendency to die out faster than other types of TVs.
Add to that that OLED Pixels have different life times depending on the color they show, and you are in for a nasty surprise.
Also Ghosting seems to exist in OLED models, but this is hard to know, as very few units are in users hands.

You wont see this mentioned much, and that is due to the fact that very few people have bought an OLED TV.

jdlobb

Honorable
May 16, 2013

because LG was the only company with the vision to keep pursuing it even when they were hemorrhaging money to the technology.

seancaptain

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
"Samsung merged its LCD and OLED businesses in 2012, but it has now decided to separate them into two companies once again. The split will allow Samsung to make decisions for OLED separately of its much larger LCD business, and the move is seen as a new chance for the OLED business. Samsung is also believed to consider further investments in OLED in addition to the new £3.6 billion plant that will produce OLED displays, including flexible displays.

The announcement comes shortly after rumors have emerged that Samsung is planning to return to OLED TVs. The company put its OLED TV plans on hold in early 2014.

Samsung’s display division had a tough 2014 as profitability in LCDs fell. OLED panels - used mostly in its own Galaxy phones - remain very profitable for Samsung Display.

The names of the new divisions have not been announced." - from a quick google, source 'Business Korea'.

OLED technology is really tough. For a long time, manufacturers had to throw out more panels than they could sell, due to flaws. Despite looking better, it's still not clear if OLED will be able to compete with LCD ever. Will be fun to see, though.

cenpjas

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Having read this i took the time to look over LG OLED Screen currently on my shop floor, i was suprised to find the build quality when it comes to how smoothly the OLED is curved to be rather poor and quite easy to see the bumps when the screen is off or if you stand to the side. I was also unimpressed by the 2014 OLED build quality for the model with carbon fiber backing as this was again poorly applied to the LCD and tended to 'crunch' when touch to move.

For electronics at over £2,000 a pop i would expect better.

Status
Not open for further replies.