Walmart Will Convert Your DVDs, Blu-rays to UltraViolet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
so far VUDU movies can only be streamed to the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, certain HDTVs and Blu-ray players, the Mac and PCs platforms, and Apple's iPad.

Sweet! I get to pay to watch my movies digitally from my bluray player!

In all seriousness, this is kind of ridiculous. All I Want is a digital copy of something I already payed for. Hell I'm willing to get the equipment (a computer with a bluray drive and bluray ripping software) and invest the time (setting it up and letting it run) all while you still make the same amount of money. But no, you'd rather me pay extra. I guess you don't want my initial purchase...

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
No interest in UltraViolet. I will even avoid anything that has one of these digital copy ripoffs.

Once again, movies get ruined by taking away a real digital copy in either wmv or mp4 format that we can do whatever we want with it to be leashed to whatever they want. Sorry, if you want my dollars, you can't tell me what to do with what I buy.

motheninja

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Its like this. I have a 10TB NAS in my basement which has a 1GB Ethernet to my router. In my house I use VLC Streamer for my iPad/iPhone/iMac. For Windows I use VLC Player, for my Android tablet, I can use WMPlayer, for my Playbook, I use OpenNAS w/ all the codecs downloaded. For for touchpad, I just use VLC again. I also have a 50GB Cloud Storage. Anytime Iam going out I can just drag and drop whatever I want off my NAS onto my cloud and stream it. So when I go to Germany this summer, I can just drop 50GB of movies and tv shows maybe a day before and when I get to the airport, everything is ready to run. If I have to wait for 2 hours, I will watch 3 episodes and while watching download the next 5 onto another device. Its that simple. Its a great and efficient way.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Any DVD HD, slap into an ISO image and drop it on the server, from there I can convert to any device I own. That way any DVD/Blueray I OWN, I can use it ANYWAY I want and not the way they want me to use it. Its mine, I bought it, I dont share it and they can kiss my butt.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Is HD bluray quality, or is it "iTunes HD" quality?

If it's uncompressed audio and full 1080p resolution, it may be worth it. If it's a cut down digital copy, then screw it.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Is HD bluray quality, or is it "iTunes HD" quality?If it's uncompressed audio and full 1080p resolution, it may be worth it. If it's a cut down digital copy, then screw it.[/citation]

If they could gives choices from lowest quality for streaming on a phone, to the exact blu-ray's quality/bitrate, with menus and stuff, that would be interesting.

jadedmonkey28

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Awesome, yet another way i can pay to access content i already own. I guess people have finally become too lazy to even get off the couch for a second to put a movie in a dvd player. I know the ISP will love this to, not only will cell phone data plans be maxed out and into the overage fees faster home ISP providers will see people hitting their caps to. Yes, your home ISP has a Data cap. For Comcast it’s 250GB a month. When you go past that they do not charge you yet, but they can instead simply terminate your service if they so wish. Since streaming will increase the average house hold will stream more movies than ever, and with all this streaming no doubt the internet will get slower for those around said people. Don’t worry thou, you can pay more money and get faster speeds. Or , or you could just watch your own copy of the movie that offers better quality and is free to play as long as you have the disc. Oh, and if the service goes belly up, you’re out any money you paid to have movies converted and worse you may be out a disc if you sold it off or threw it out.

G

And the Hollywood companies stupidly wonder why piracy is so prevalent.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Heh...

You go into walmart and they have hundreds of DvD's, even big giant boxes of em in a $5 pile...
Then you make your way thru the isle and you see a tiny section of BluRays with movies that are remakes of movies that are 10 years old and watched a billion times already.....

So, how big with the "Ultraviolet" section be?
Special order?
Behind the counter?

Middleman

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Or I could just keep my money, convert them myself with MakeMKV or AnyDVD, and Walmart + Ultra Violet can collectively go screw themselves.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I do see the benefit to this service as you can have unlimited access to all your movies no matter where you are. The problem I see is what happens someday when Vudu folds or changes direction and is no longer able to provide the service. Like with anything digital after a time support stops and then you are left without the service you paid to receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.