Want to know about generations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike07813

Prominent
May 23, 2017
Hi, I am really confused about generations in laptops...what is the difference, if I bought a 6 generation laptop instead of a 7 generation, if processor is the same in both..
And should I buy a 7 generation i3 or a 4 generation i5 if the prices are same...
Thank you

Solution
Laptop cpus are hard to say without knowing the exact model, they don't follow the same rules at desktop cpus.

For a desktop
i3 is a 2 core with HT giving it 4 threads
i5 is a 4 core with no HT giving 4 threads
i7 is a 4 core with HT giving it 8 threads

mobile gen 7

i3 is a 2 core with HT giving 4 threads
i5 has a mix of 2 core 4 thread and 4 core 4thread cpus
i7 has a mix of 2 core 4 thread and 4 core 8 thread cpus

kanewolf

Judicious
The "generation" refers to the age of the CPU. Intel is on the 7th generation (model numbers have a 7xxx). Each generation has been made more power efficient, lower heat generating, etc. So a 7th generation laptop will be a lot thinner than a 4th generation. For performance, you may have to try to find some reviews of similar laptop CPUs to get an idea about performance.

elbert

Distinguished
The higher the generation the newer the parts inside and possibly the windows version. While the i5 processor may be a bit faster than the i3 the i3's GPU will offset that in games. Also you tend to get better screens, wifi, and battery life from the newer designs.

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Laptop cpus are hard to say without knowing the exact model, they don't follow the same rules at desktop cpus.

For a desktop
i3 is a 2 core with HT giving it 4 threads
i5 is a 4 core with no HT giving 4 threads
i7 is a 4 core with HT giving it 8 threads

mobile gen 7

i3 is a 2 core with HT giving 4 threads
i5 has a mix of 2 core 4 thread and 4 core 4thread cpus
i7 has a mix of 2 core 4 thread and 4 core 8 thread cpus

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.