Wanting to connect a powered sub to play with TV audio.

hperezcortez

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Hi everyone. I'm new here. Not sure if I'm posting in the correct topic...

Jut built my first gaming computer and pretty much use it for music too. I have a 4K LG tv as my monitor that's connected via HDMI from my MSI GTX 1080 armor. Now I have an old home theater subwoofer that I wanted to use to kick the low notes along with the tv sound. Just to get me by till I get a full sound system. I tried hooking up the SW to the motherboard IO since it has 5.1 audio outputs. The issue is that some programs play on my tv only and not the SW. And vice versa. But nothing plays together. My question would be what do I have to do to get it all to play together? I feel like it's a settings issue but no idea how to find it. My mother board came with Realtek audio manager and it wasn't any help

Solution
So the issue is that different programs will want to use different sound devices (HDMI vs 5.1 audio)

IF your TV will support both outputting to internal and external speakers then you can use the 3.5mm or RCA output of the TV, then go to low side input of the home theater sub (if it only has one LFE port you will need a rca Y cable (merges right and left into one RCA connection).

Otherwise you would need an HDMI audio extractor device and at that point, I would just suggest saving for a home theater receiver instead.

FYI you can usually go to electronics store and find a return/floor model of the previous generation of stereo receiver for a decent price, and receivers will typically go 2-4 years with no major advancement between...
So the issue is that different programs will want to use different sound devices (HDMI vs 5.1 audio)

IF your TV will support both outputting to internal and external speakers then you can use the 3.5mm or RCA output of the TV, then go to low side input of the home theater sub (if it only has one LFE port you will need a rca Y cable (merges right and left into one RCA connection).

Otherwise you would need an HDMI audio extractor device and at that point, I would just suggest saving for a home theater receiver instead.

FYI you can usually go to electronics store and find a return/floor model of the previous generation of stereo receiver for a decent price, and receivers will typically go 2-4 years with no major advancement between generations.

Solution