Warner Bros. Buys Rotten Tomatoes and Flixster

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
What about Current?
[citation][nom]jprobes[/nom]Rotten Tomatoes uses an aggregate system to rate movies based on the average rating from critics across a wide spectrum.It's kinda like Metacritic, but just for movies. .[/citation]
RT also does their own film reviews, but instead of a score at the end they just give what the meter on the website scores it.

doggrell3000

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
movies have gotten so bad in the last decade that i am constantly agape at the poor quality incomprehensible narrative boring plots phony acting idiotic exploitation and childish sexism . it is astounding that producers and directors are able to raise 100 million dollars to film what is essentially a complete waste of everyone's time and talent . the public must be desperate because they keep showing up at theaters and forking over 15 dollars to view more drivel week in and week out . eventually movie theaters will close for good because the audience will move on to better things like watching paint dry . rotten tomatoes and flixster will have less traffic than a ghost town with the plague and movie critics will be selling their pencils on the street corner . it will be very gratifying to witness the inevitable downfall of the egotistical overpaid incompetent pampered hollywood movie star who by virtue of their very existence encourages the gullible youth of america to pursue a career based on hype artifice excess and greed .

matt2k

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
^feeling better now you got that out your system?

i only use RT for metadata for my movie archive, and for that it functions beautifully :)
i wish we could throw actual rotten tomatoes at films sometimes. that would definitely get me going to the cinema more!

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hmm... I've always hated rotten tomatoes... Critical reviews in general are worthless to me. Critics usually hate the movies I like, and love the movies I deplore!

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]x3style[/nom]Tommorow's news: "The previous rotten tomatoes team have created a new site after they pocketed the 60m" GJ GJ[/citation]

I'm sure WB added a no compete clause in the sales contract... at least for a limited time...

jmvanderleeuw

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
[citation][nom]dread_cthulhu[/nom]Hmm... I've always hated rotten tomatoes... Critical reviews in general are worthless to me. Critics usually hate the movies I like, and love the movies I deplore![/citation]

I think you are mistaken. Have you ever actually looked at Rotten Tomatoes? The whole point of the site is that it is NOT just "movie critics". The Tomatometer was a compilation of review scores by the site users - not just a professional critic. THAT is why I am sad to see this sale happen, and why the Rotten Tomatoes reviews will lose all credibility and relevance. I'll be removing them from my bookmarks as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.