Warner, Fox Create Portable SD, USB-Based DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Someone ought to fight this DRM crap in court based on the approach that this is convicting the user of a crime prior to a crime even being committed.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
It could have been an appropriate DRM scheme, even with the fact that it will be yet another "standard" to support, but you know the saying : once bitten, twice shy.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
That's why I download my movies off bittorrent at near bluray quality, and if I like it, I'll buy it but I'll throw it away when it comes in the mail. No DRM for me

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i have a much better idea, much simpler and easier and affordable and more practical and can be implemented in less than a week across all of continental america and skips over the drm issue all together with methods already used for over 10 years.
who do i contact to put all these arse hats out of jobs and make billions utilizing less than 2 dozen people for the life of this 'idea'?
i know if i were to patent it and sue when big corporations try to use my idea/invention 5 -10 years from now with out licensing it from em every communist on toms will think i have to give it up for free or i am a patent troll.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Personally, I hope this DRM crap crashes and burns.[/citation]
You mean, "Personally, I hope this media (music and movies) that I want stops being produced."

Why would you want that? How do you think the production is funded? Charity collections?

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]That's why I download my movies off bittorrent at near bluray quality, and if I like it, I'll buy it but I'll throw it away when it comes in the mail. No DRM for me[/citation]
You used the word "download" where you meant to use "steal" It's irrelevant if, like it or not, you throw it away later. You violated the license and are a criminal.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]You mean, "Personally, I hope this media (music and movies) that I want stops being produced." Why would you want that? How do you think the production is funded? Charity collections?[/citation]
By my paying for the Blu-ray copy, or the digital download. Or did you forget that people out there DO still pay for media these days?

Troll elsewhere. You're barking at the wrong person, or do you work for Fix News?

G

Basically this DRM scheme is the same as what used to be in place for music, but that didn't last long. Unless existing hardware can have SCSA support added via a firmware update, it likely won't take off. I'm sure most people won't want to replace all of their existing equipment. Also, it will only be a matter of time until the encryption is broken as it was with Blu-Ray. In the end, making DRM-free, fully-quality downloads available is going to be the only way to stop consumers from ripping Blu-Ray discs or downloading rips from others.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I have purchased every Metallica CD, and I've actually purchased the S&M DVDs twice, and the CDs 3 times.

The second time DVD-1 just simply wouldn't play past about 5 minutes. And it had no visible defects on the disk. It was right out of the box. I've lost CDs, movies etc.

Furthermore, I've lost product keys to Windows(Lets not even discuss the old HPs with "factory reset"), Office, GTA 3-4 and a myriad of other games.

So I've spent in excess of say... $600 and I have no product to show for it. Sure am glad we have all these safeguards in place(which, has yet to stop any pirates)

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]You mean, "Personally, I hope this media (music and movies) that I want stops being produced." Why would you want that? How do you think the production is funded? Charity collections?[/citation]
And one other thing - the more DRM are put on media, the less people will actually buy. If I encounter media with DRM, I won't buy it.

And have you forgotten this?? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8337887.stm

Have fun shooting yourself and the media company you work for in the foot.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]By my paying for the Blu-ray copy, or the digital download. Or did you forget that people out there DO still pay for media these days?Troll elsewhere. You're barking at the wrong person, or do you work for Fix News?[/citation]
You can be sure the barking is more on your end. Without DRM, the bulk of copies are illegal. That's the way it is currently. Good for you if you don't. Now just fix everyone else (if you can).

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010

Ruh roh. Another idiot trying to imply that piracy negatively effects the entertainment industry. piracy != (lost sales) || (lost revenue).

It's cool, Hollywood can keep making inferior (DRM-ridden) products, and I will continue to not buy them. (haven't pirated in ages, pay for amazon prime, netflix, spotify, etc)

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]You can be sure the barking is more on your end. Without DRM, the bulk of copies are illegal. That's the way it is currently. Good for you if you don't. Now just fix everyone else (if you can).[/citation]

DRM doesn't prevent piracy, or even casual infringement. Read a study.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]And one other thing - the more DRM are put on media, the less people will actually buy. If I encounter media with DRM, I won't buy it.And have you forgotten this?? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8337887.stmHave fun shooting yourself and the media company you work for in the foot.[/citation]
I love the way illegal downloaders jump from "it stimulates sales" to "it's not stealing" (which it most certainly is by the license). I'm not so much concerned about the practice, just the whining, anger, and misdirected blaming that I hear when someone is caught and punished for doing something that is clearly known to be illegal. It's an imperfect system serving imperfect people. When Napster really got going, more than 80% of music sales disappeared. Now, DRM controlled music sales are the majority, and the industry is thriving.

How does anyone not laugh reading comments above when someone says they will not pay for a DRM'ed movie, but instead of having the spine to boycott it, illegally download and view it. Is that supposed to show some kind of commendable spirit? What do they do in the case where the price of M&M's goes above some self-defined threshold? Steal them and cry foul on the shoplifting charges because the price was too high for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.