Warner, Sony BMG, EMI, Universal Sued for Piracy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDDMichael

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
Exactly. 300,000 songs? According to my math based on settlements they've gotten, that would be a 2.25 Trillion Dollar payout.... PWNED!!!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
And remember, its not the number of tracks they stole, but the number of times they distributed each track. And since these were sold on physical CDs, that should be easy to count.

I wonder if the CRIA will try to argue fair-use? I wonder if the artists are distrubuting fake compilation CDs that are really empty or full of garbage data, in an effort to disrupt the wide-spread and illegal distribution the labels are undertaking (similar to seeding garbage packets into a BitTorrent stream). I wonder if they are performing sit-in DDOS attacks against stores that refuse to let them sell the garbage discs on their shelves (similar to how the RIAA would DDOS legitimate BitTorrent services that blocked their connections).

Will we see record label execs in commercials during the upcoming Super Bowl talking about how they used to steal music, but now one in every 5 Pepsi bottles gives them a chance to legally distribute one song on a compilation CD?

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]The big companies like the screw over those working for them, that's nothing new at all...[/citation]
Not all companies screw their workers. Many companies actually comply with basic ethics standards. Most do actually. It's the competitive job markets that have to make their jobs attractive in order to get the best talent. If you work McDonalds or WalMart at 45, you're asking for it though because in the future, your job will be done by robots (even Roombas can do half of it).

JDDMichael

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
All immature spastic ROFLMOAing aside, I have to admit that I am VERY interested to see what their arguments are about the actual dollar value of each track.

Has the CRIA been as over the top as the RIAA with their demands or is this not going to be as much of a spectacle as it would if this was in the US against the RIAA?

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
So many trite but apt expressions, including:
1. What goes around comes around.
2. If the shoe fits, wear it.
3. You made your bed, now sleep in it.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Yeah, how can these fucking pieces of shit say that they only owe USD $50 million, when it was these pieces of scum that said that people that pirate songs should have to pay MUCH more than the standard fee for each stolen song? I say they owe, according to previous suits filed against individuals, anywhere between USD$20 billion to USD$60 billion.

If I ever get a DCMA notice from Comcast, or any other ISP, for allegedly stealing songs, I will be pointing them to this article. What is good for the goose, is good for the gander, bitches.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I just wanted to add that $167 USD is nowhere even close to reasonable for using a song commercially, which is what 300,000 songs at $50 million USD would come out to.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]jonpaul37[/nom]... and this surprises you?... Next thing, we'll find out that the mood in fact is NOT made of cheese??? What is this world coming to????[/citation]
fail

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]300k tracks at 80k per track (what the judge ruled that the single mom, Jammie Thomas-Rasset) is 24 Billion. I think that's only fair.[/citation]

Actually, this number is wrong now that I think of it (and read a few other responses). It wasn't 80k per track. It worked out to 80k per track because they said she had distributed 24 songs like 1700 times. However, I'm sure they've distributed these 300K songs more than 1700 times. I'd venture a guess something like 50k times (on the very conservative side... even garbage random "I love Music 84" CDs sell that many).

So it's 300k * 50k * 1K = 15 trillion according to that metric. (I rounded down for easier math. But what's a trillion or two when you're already fined 15.)

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
i have already read about this and as an artist who has played rock music since 1972 i am really happy.It is about time to see these assholes go down as they have ripped off millions.They screwed over bands I have known over the decades of my involvement in music.

Now they should have to pay out per song in the same way they did to some like that lady who was sued for millions.
Go Canada Go !!!!
And what about the artists here in the USA they should also do the same thing against these big greedbag shysters.

marcus_br

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I think they really should pay 15 trillion, right after they collect the payment for each of the thieves downloading their music.

There's at least 100.000 other people like that mom, so, the sum she has to pay times 100k, yup, starts to get interesting.

People's so retarded acusing them on lame values and when they get a lame value, the price is right.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.