Warning: New Wii Update May Brick Consoles

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Say what? Nintendo doesn't allow people to install apps not sold by Nintendo? I can install whatever apps I want on my PS3 even if they're not sold by Sony. This is not a hack of any kind and is fully supported by Sony.

gamerjames

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]Hmm two howevers in the last paragraph. I think I wouldn't write an article that way.citation]

I don't think I'd write a sentence that way.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I do own a console repair shop and I've seen 6 of those bricks. We see ERROR #003, as if the consoles were modded in some way and "banned", but the real issue is that those were legitimate users that bought the consoles no less than a month ago. BTW, all the bricked wiis were KOREAN Wii's. So, it seems that the brick IS caused by nintendo, not because the user (no, the wii's weren't modded/softmodded)..

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]erichlund[/nom]Nothing new. Sony "bricked" my PS3, then wanted $150 to fix it. I spent the $150 on a Blue Ray player, and the PS3 is in the closet, where it will stay until I probably decide to take it to the electronics recycle center. Don't like the classic "game" controllers, so I'm just going to be a PC gamer.[/citation]
Hey ummm, Can I have it??

spanspace

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]TheViper[/nom]No they are not. Come on Tom's. First the snide "Go Nintendo Go" remark and then flat out lying about the repair fee.[/citation]

Viper the "repair" is free. They didn't say shipping to them is free.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Say what? Nintendo doesn't allow people to install apps not sold by Nintendo? I can install whatever apps I want on my PS3 even if they're not sold by Sony. This is not a hack of any kind and is fully supported by Sony.[/citation]
Then again, look at the PSP. Homebrewers have been the target of constant firmware updates locking them out.
My idealistic side asks: Why can't console makers let homebrew be?
My realistic side responds: Probably because publishers have a fear of piracy running rampant on consoles like they say they do on the PC side of gaming.

inmytaxi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I was going to buy one for a friend when it went under 200. Given Nintendo's response, I think I'll not buy one at all.

Rahbot

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
LOL I think that is the funniest Thing to do I have read on Tom's I love it if you buy an Xbox 360 or Wii your looking at getting a brick instead of a gaming machine.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
That's why I never update anything immediately.

It saved me the horrors of Catalyst 9.9. If I had a Wii, it would have saved me too.

I always wait for someone else to do it, since if it goes bad I will know what NOT to update.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
it is completely unacceptable when implementing an update system, not to have a failsafe, some switch on the back of the console for instance that resets it to factory defaults. if Nintendo haven't been bothered to implement this, it should be their responsibility to fix any bricked consoles, warranty or not.

bayouboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
This is why I own and game on PC. My PC in mine to do whatever I want with it. I can mod and change it anyway I want and yet, all my components retain their warranties. Unless, of course, I make them do something outside of their design specifications, i.e. overclocking, overvolting. Obviously I have to take responsibility for what I do with my PC, good or bad.

I cannot remember the last time I had a bad software update where I could not just simply roll back the installation or simply reinstall the software. Brick my PC? Never.

I do get scared of some freak accident happening when I flash a BIOS. :)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]I don't think the company is acting maliciously at the moment. Nintendo probably needs to do an internal investigation to find out if they're at fault or not. It seems that's the case and I believe that Nintendo, like Microsoft, will end up covering this issue on their dime.[/citation]
If all goes well, yeah, they'll likely cover the costs.
They don't want a major media showdown ruining sales.

Hopefully before the end of the week they have Homebrew Channel up and running on the latest OS. =D

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]I remember the days when one of the big advantages consoles had over PCs was you never had to patch anything. Sad to see so many firmware patches nowadays. I suppose it is the price we pay for such complex systems.[/citation]

It wasn't a big advantage honestly, bugged games would never receive fixes, consoles only had a firmware update if you bought the latest version of it.

However, now that all of them connect to the internet they can update bugs and implement fixes if needed.

Well, there was one big advantage now that I think about it. Developers weren't quite as lazy when it came to making games and releasing them with bugs, since they knew the game wouldn't be able to be updated (though it did still happen on occasion). Nowadays, they can rush a release, not testing it enough, because they know they can offer an update to download.

Though, there are still only rare cases that a game is near unplayable status on a console (since they know not everyone has their console hooked up to the internet). Whereas I've come across quite a few PC games over the years that were pretty much unplayable until the developer released a patch.

G

My Wii is now bricked too! I didn't even mod it and just updated it from 3.2 (I haven't been able to update it (no WiFi) since I bought it (1 year ago)) to 4.2. Now when I turn it on, the drive spins and reads the games but the screen just stays black. I've even tried the modded GC Controller trick and SaveMii which haven't worked. WTF Nintendo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.