Watchdog: High Tech Exam Cheating On the Rise

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

And so another generation of dumb fuckers has sprouted forth!
Cheating may help you get your diploma, but it won't work when you have a job later!

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Hahaha, you cant cheat your way through engineering, you just cant. it's that simple.

If you do, your life will be ruined when you get a job and get fired in the same day when ppl realize you are absolutely inept.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I remember my trig class. No calculators, period! If you didn't know the material (or your multiplication tables), you were screwed!

zanraptora

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
[citation][nom]banthracis[/nom]I don't know what doctors you go to, but the ones I go don't have google open during a consult to look up possible diagnosis for every symptom I give them.[/citation]

No... They don't look at google... They instead check their reference book in the back, they double check THAT in errata published for the reference... then they use their online tools to make sure... and then... AFTER ALL THAT... They still suggest you consider a second opinion on any major medical procedure or treatment.

School should be used to teach students to find information, give them the ability to recognize what information is needed, (EG. Formulas, possible causes for symptoms, ETC.) and finally apply the information that the profession needed to check anyways.

For the EMT example, their training is exceptionally good general care for common life threatening conditions. Your EMT won't be able to save you from anything more specific than poisoning.

As for the engineer example... Via the internet and online forums, (such as this one) any shmuck can get the resounding NO they need when they try planning something stupid (See me paying 3000 quid on an prebuilt w/o even an reasonable case.)

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]qvnguyen[/nom]... then right before you hand in the tests, i would erase everything and put down the right answers.[/citation]

Takes too long.

[citation][nom]Drip50291[/nom]...and stick a cheat sheet to the inside of label put it back on and drink until you find the answer you need.[/citation]

1) Usually I found that after the time it took me to create the cheat sheet, I didn't need it anymore.
2) Maybe things have changed, but when I was in high school they didn't allow students to have drinks in the classroom.

From personal experience:
I cheated my way through Math classes in high school. When I got to college I had to take Calculus I three times. Twice I took it, then went back and took the college level Trig class so that I understood that. Then the third time I took Calc I, I passed it easily. If you cheat your way through classes eventually you will pay for it later on.

drip50291

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]zanraptora[/nom]No... They don't look at google... They instead check their reference book in the back, they double check THAT in errata published for the reference... then they use their online tools to make sure... and then... AFTER ALL THAT... They still suggest you consider a second opinion on any major medical procedure or treatment.School should be used to teach students to find information, give them the ability to recognize what information is needed, (EG. Formulas, possible causes for symptoms, ETC.) and finally apply the information that the profession needed to check anyways.For the EMT example, their training is exceptionally good general care for common life threatening conditions. Your EMT won't be able to save you from anything more specific than poisoning.As for the engineer example... Via the internet and online forums, (such as this one) any shmuck can get the resounding NO they need when they try planning something stupid (See me paying 3000 quid on an prebuilt w/o even an reasonable case.)[/citation]
Why r u flippin out on a joke dude

drip50291

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
"1) Usually I found that after the time it took me to create the cheat sheet, I didn't need it anymore.
2) Maybe things have changed, but when I was in high school they didn't allow students to have drinks in the classroom.

From personal experience:
I cheated my way through Math classes in high school. When I got to college I had to take Calculus I three times. Twice I took it, then went back and took the college level Trig class so that I understood that. Then the third time I took Calc I, I passed it easily. If you cheat your way through classes eventually you will pay for it later on. "
Well you obviously cant make good cheat sheets. And its not just for math. My History teacher would give us 1 3x5 note card that we could write anything on to use for the test. I WROTE THE WHOLE CHAPTER ON MY CARD!! PWND!!! Yes they allow drinks in the classroom im sorry you went to communist Russia (metaphor for strictness dont get offended tard) for school. I quite pity the fact that you cant put your genius or creativeness to good use.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]People cheat because they think they'll never get caught. I guess that just part of immaturity.[/citation]

I never got caught, like most people who went through engineering schools...

And we all used old techniques, pieces of papers are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.