Water spilt on laptop a while ago

a_peach7890

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
Hi,
My friend has asked me to fix her laptop as she spilt water on it "ages ago". Is it possible to be fixed after having been in this condition for so long?
Thanks,
Alec

Solution
Dropping the CPU should still be ok but its possible it got an ESD shock but not highly likely, the new HDD you put in did you run tests on it for read/write and bad clusters and it sounds like a memory problem do you get a blue screen of death if yes run a Memtest86+ test on each stick of ram I use a bootable dvd called Hirens Boot Disk as it has many dos testing programs I would use it to test the ram first then the HDD, if the new HDD is Sata see if AHCI is enabled in the Bios for the HDD. You said it got very warm did you put the thermal paste on right and screw everything back together and remembered to plug the CPU fan's power plug back in? That screw sounds bad from where you found it could you do a motherboard check to see if...

GKandRiven

Commendable
May 11, 2016
If it was not powered on any time after the spill the motherboard might be good still but I would recommend a full dismantle and clean and dry it before powering it up again, I would clean the motherboard with circuit board cleaner or isopropyl alcohol if there was anything else in the water and that would also mean removing the heat sink and fan and putting thermal paste on, where was the water spilt as some keyboards are "spill proof" and protects the internals.

a_peach7890

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017

Thanks, I will have a look when I receive the laptop.

a_peach7890

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017

Hi,
I've just received the laptop (a Lenovo IdeaPad z500). I put a new hard drive in and managed to get it to boot and install Windows 10. As it was initialising after the install, it turned off and has never turned back on. It felt very warm after this. When plugged in, the charging light occasionally lights up for about five seconds but then goes off. I tore down the whole thing and discovered a lodged screw behind the motherboard so took it out and reassembled it. However, when replacing thermal paste, I sneezed and dropped the CPU on the carpet. Could this kill it? Reassembling it didn't make a difference. I've ordered a new charger but am not convinced that this is the issue. I have also tried hard resetting but to no avail. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Alec

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from a_peach7890 : "Laptop charging for five seconds then stops"

GKandRiven

Commendable
May 11, 2016
Dropping the CPU should still be ok but its possible it got an ESD shock but not highly likely, the new HDD you put in did you run tests on it for read/write and bad clusters and it sounds like a memory problem do you get a blue screen of death if yes run a Memtest86+ test on each stick of ram I use a bootable dvd called Hirens Boot Disk as it has many dos testing programs I would use it to test the ram first then the HDD, if the new HDD is Sata see if AHCI is enabled in the Bios for the HDD. You said it got very warm did you put the thermal paste on right and screw everything back together and remembered to plug the CPU fan's power plug back in? That screw sounds bad from where you found it could you do a motherboard check to see if there is any blown components and or burnt PCB tracks. Grab a multimeter and test to see what is the output versus what it says the output is on the power supply, that should be enough for now let me know how you go.

Solution