Watercooling a laptop?

Wolftech-7

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
Hi, so I was thinking about the now ASUS GX700 laptop and I thought is it possible to have a laptop that is water-cooled but has all of the water cooling components inside. (It doe nott need a dock to have active water cooling running.) Is this possible, still keeping the laptop a reasonable size?

Solution
I have never seen watercooling components that small, not only that you would need to be able to put the radiator far from the processor, which of course in a laptop where everything is stretched thin is near impossible. Hence why the GX700 has that huge dock at the back.

I have heard of a laptop design that had internal watercooling (don't know if it exists for sale, and based on ASUS marketing the GX700 as the first probably not) but it was very high end and a very very large size laptop to be able to maintain that separation.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
I have never seen watercooling components that small, not only that you would need to be able to put the radiator far from the processor, which of course in a laptop where everything is stretched thin is near impossible. Hence why the GX700 has that huge dock at the back.

I have heard of a laptop design that had internal watercooling (don't know if it exists for sale, and based on ASUS marketing the GX700 as the first probably not) but it was very high end and a very very large size laptop to be able to maintain that separation.

Solution

Wolftech-7

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
To maintain the separation you could place the CPU towards the front of the laptop and have the radiators along the back. The water cooing components would have to be custom made. I think that the main problem with water cooling a laptop would be radiator space. Laptops have a very small vent areas compared to desktops. But how much radiator surface area would be sufficient to cool say a I7. Or a GTX 1080m?

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
watercooling on a laptop flies in the face of common sense and how people design a laptop - choose components for lower power use (ergo lowest heat) and most compact size & weight.

watercooling would:
- be bulky
- use extra power to drive pump & fans
- indicate there's a hot cpu or gpu inside
- drain the crap out of the batteries
- indicate the whole thing was designed by a moron

USAFRet

Illustrious

Aside from some marketing text, why would you want to?
'water cooling' is not magical. It is just a different form of heat transfer from the CPU to the outside room.