Web 2.0 to be Taught in Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
Anything to improve the quality of posts. For some reason peoples ability to spell and use proper grammar has gone to hell. Sometimes it's so hard to understand what people are trying to say because of the gibberish they are putting out. It makes it very hard to take them seriously (even the whiners). Instant Messaging is another place that people need to work on. I don't mind if people type in all lower case so much but when they abbreviate everything to the point you need a decoder ring to understand it then it's gone too far. I may be an old fart but I don't think it is too much to ask that people at least try to show some level of intelligence.

ViPr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
languages need to be overhauled so that the spelling and pronunciation of words match. humanity seems to not understand the point of an alphabet. too much effort is spent trying to learn the bizarre obscure stupid spelling of every word and therefore less effort is spent learning science.

G

Interesting. I saw something like this awhile back. All of those construction projects just stopped dead.

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
I'm not sure where people get the idea that you can teach these things to primary school children? Before schools can implement this form of technology a few things need to happen.

1. Google images and other imaging sites need to review how they filter out explicit images or at least give us the power to block these sites (and no you can't simply add *goole.images to your proxy there are no working solutions to this. Please let me know if you find one...)
2. Wikipedia is a great learning tool, but type anything in the search field and you'll likely get it...anything.
3. Bandwidth, speed and cost are still areas that need to be revisited in public schools.

These people need to spend a year teaching some form of Information Technology before they start making these 'guidelines'

Primary schools...you may want to re-look 'teaching the blogosphere' and stick to actually getting through the current syllabus.

robohuck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
No irony at all, jeverson, that you failed to make "peoples" possessive, you failed to use a comma in the sixth sentence between "much" and "but", failed to properly punctuate the the prepositional phase in the second half of the sixth sentence (comma after "understand it"), AND failed to use a comma after the last sentence after "fart".

I suppose one could summarize my sardonic verbiage much more abruptly. Fail!

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]ViPr[/nom]languages need to be overhauled so that the spelling and pronunciation of words match. humanity seems to not understand the point of an alphabet. too much effort is spent trying to learn the bizarre obscure stupid spelling of every word and therefore less effort is spent learning science.[/citation]
English is the hardest language to learn...It is a mess.

Example: There, their, they're
Example: “I” before “E” except for the millions exceptions… weigh, height, seize, surfeit, heifer, weird

How about the fact that like 80% of people (guess) think there is a word “alot”…. A lot!!! For the love of god!

You get the idea I’m sure, I for one am glad I learned English first.

hurbt

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Kids need only a few things to thrive in our modern society, and blogs and wikipedia are not 2 of them.

Reading, writing, mathematics, and science should keep teachers plenty busy...

Roffey123

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
English comprehension and literacy, Mathematics, History and basic Science - why is this so f***ing hard to understand? A five year old does not need to learn how to use a blog - its not excatly an rocket science to create a bog standard blog using easy to understand tools, it'd take less than a day to explain to even the most illiterate of 5 year olds - so why this has to be part of the curriculum boggles my mind.

Stick to the basics as far as small children are concerned, THEN worry about teaching them basic internet skills. At 5 most children are still getting to grips with the premise of reading and a even slimmer grasp of the english dictionary, they don't need to worry about how to use the internet, which remains largely based on text (they still have to read to get around the place, lets face it).

dainsane1

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Kids these days are often more net savvy then their parents. i don't really see the point in creating a curriculum that will become dated long before it is rolled out. the computer time would be better spent teaching kids not to be netwits; like don't slap the monkey or you are not the millionth site visitor so don't click the links. safe browsing practices would be far more useful (tho it would put me out of a job if people followed them).

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
English comprehension and literacy, Mathematics, History and basic Science? That all they really need?

Sorry, I disagree. What about art, literature, music, cooking/home ec., a sense of civic duty, ability to function in a kind manner within larger society, and sense of community? Are these things not important? How about the most important thing to instill into young students - a desire to learn!

We are too obsessed at churning out pre-pre-college students, obsessed with math and science. What skills benefit a person more - calculus or financial literacy? English rhetoric or the ability to compose posts and email sensibly? Complete basic scientific literacy or the ability to conduct research along with the desire to learn more on a topic before making a judgment?

I applaud the schools for trying to modernize their program and attempting to make the skills they teach align with the real world!

Oh, and a side note, there is one really major reason why language skills are degrading - spellcheckers! Often times you will see the errors in posts that either have to do with using the wrong word (there or they're) or gramatical structure. When no spell checker is present, the errors often rise significantly.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
[citation][nom]jeverson[/nom]Anything to improve the quality of posts. For some reason peoples ability to spell and use proper grammar has gone to hell. Sometimes it's so hard to understand what people are trying to say because of the gibberish they are putting out. It makes it very hard to take them seriously (even the whiners). Instant Messaging is another place that people need to work on. I don't mind if people type in all lower case so much but when they abbreviate everything to the point you need a decoder ring to understand it then it's gone too far. I may be an old fart but I don't think it is too much to ask that people at least try to show some level of intelligence.[/citation]

That is by far the smartest post I've ever read on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.