WebKit Group Strikes Back: Let's Remove Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]So, the move is not in retaliation, but the title is sure made to sound like that. Wow toms, wow.[/citation]
Yeah the article title makes it sound like it's an obvious retaliation strike when it's most definitely not.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]So, the move is not in retaliation, but the title is sure made to sound like that. Wow toms, wow.[/citation]

Gotta get those high viewership...

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
I see this as a good thing for users as well as Google themselves. Prior to this announcement, the only big non-Webkit browsers were Firefox and IE (Opera is switching to Webkit). So there was a growing risk of Webkit becoming the de facto standard, instead of actual standards. Now with Google forking Webkit into Blink, developers will be less likely to take the lazy "It works on Webkit" route, and actually stick to standards - in particular, HTML5.[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]As a programmer, premature optimization is bad, m'kay? It would be very reckless to rip apart code on a whim[/citation]True, but I don't think they're actually going to do that. They're not that reckless. They're just giving a heads up to those relying on Google-specific code (like V8 and Skia) that Google is doing their own thing now - so don't count on Google to keep updating that code, at least within Webkit. Those devs (like the BB and Samsung guys) can still use it for now. But in the future they'll most likely have to either take the Google bits and fork it themselves, or use something else.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
The problem with open source, anyone can say 'FORK you' and take your baby away from you and start a fork of it of their own. In a way its kind of insulting.

Google should start code from scratch, why should they make money off the backs of others?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Gotta get those high viewership...[/citation]

... at any cost it seems - Including miss leading titles!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009

Kevin Parrish = Suck.

He makes reading Tom's painful. I used to dislike Wolfgang's over the top articles too, but I feel like he's improved a lot, and I also think he just throws stuff out there to get people to think about issues they otherwise would not have.

More Jane, less "Fruity" Kevin.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]shqtth[/nom]The problem with open source, anyone can say 'FORK you' and take your baby away from you and start a fork of it of their own. In a way its kind of insulting.Google should start code from scratch, why should they make money off the backs of others?[/citation]If you don't want people to fork your code, go closed source. Otherwise deal with it. It's not theft if you left everyone take whatever they want and do whatever they want with it.

On the other hand, and I've said this before: Google only cares about open source when it helps them. They used the Linux kernel because it meant lots of free labor. They used Webkit for the same reason. When it comes down to it, they only "support" open source when and where it benefits them. They also have a lot of closed-source projects.

Jeoshua

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
This article is completely misleadingly titled. We should be celebrating this event, not damning it or striking fear into peoples hearts that there is a browser war brewing!

Google forks WebKit to remove extra code and make their browser faster and more reliable, easier to code, and generally better, without removing anything from WebKit. This is a good thing for Chrome, and by extension, everyone else.

Now WebKit actually RETURNS the favor to the world by removing Chrome-only code from WebKit, thereby making browsers based on it faster, more reliable, easier to code, and generally better. THIS IS A GOOD THING FOR WEBKIT, AND BY EXTENSION, EVERYONE ELSE!

Gawd...

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Wow, just like many folks here I find the title of this article quite misleading.

Come on, Tom's, don't be like those disrespectable websites out there such as RedOrbit.com where they exaggerate their article titles so people would click on the article and they can have a higher click rate. Don't be a CLICK-BAIT website!

Status
Not open for further replies.