Website Tells You If Your Password's Been Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
it would have been more fun if they asked for a password too, just to check, and then to crosscheck because it is a well known fact that people use the same password on different sites :p

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Been using 14-character passwords in obscure languages for years now. HAHAHAHA! ....no not really, I got hacked.

Deus Gladiorum

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Holy fuck, my password was stolen through Adobe. Thankfully, I just made sure and it was an older password that I no longer associate with my email address. Jesus, Adobe is god awful....

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
I have a similar website. All you need to do is enter your username and password and we will tell you if your password has ever been leaked!

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
My password for Adobe was stolen, but I used different passwords between that and the associated email, my hotmail, so I don't believe I have anything to worry about. They might be able to hack my forum accounts, since I use the same passwords for all those, but I don't have the same passwords for my banking or credit cards, or even online gaming. I find it funny that I have to worry about security less on my gaming accounts than my banking passwords because I have authentication apps for the games.

Someone needs to come up with an authentication dongle for USB that has a key generator like the phone apps, but the user never has to enter the actual key code. It could be hundreds of digits long and triple encrypted so it would be harder to hack. The USB device wouldn't even need to calculate it. plug in the USB device with has the encryption keys, the driver syncs a time code with the central security server, a chip on the USB key calculates the access code from the time code and encryption keys, and the key is sent by the PC to the banking web site to authenticate. We just need an HTML5 standard command to retrieve the code from the USB key and pass it on to the web site.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I'm glad I had an account with EverNote. They warned me that my Adobe password had been leaked (I'm not sure how they found out)

But I've kept a list of my various passwords, and found I'd re-used the password a few other times, something I don't normally do.

I was quickly able to change the necessary passwords. Props to EverNote. Adobe can burn.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Well, now that Gmail uses your Gmail password to log into all of Google the problem is
much more serious.

My Gmail now shows my YouTube ID WTF? and Why?

So, if my Gmail PW is compromised then they have access to my e-mail, cloud storage, play store, YouTube, the red G symbol and the blue G symbol.
And, there is no apparent way to opt-out, again WTF!

Where is the oversight?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I didn't even realize that I had an adobe account, but apparently mine got hacked. I hope my 10+ character password (with number/symbols) is strong enough to evade decryption.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
I definitely DON'T have an Adobe account, but according to haveibeenpwned, my Adobe account has been compromised. Not sure what to think of that.

Jill Scharr

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
@gm0n3y and @jakjawagon, the "Have I Been Pwned" website aggregates five different data breaches: Adobe, Stratfor, Gawker, Yahoo and Sony. You probably have an account at one of the latter four breached websites. If you remember your password with that website you should change all other accounts with the same password immediately.

@Pherule I love Evernote too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.