Weird Shift/Ctrl Key Problem

theprophetessofdoom

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
Hi, everyone!

I'm using an Aspire E 14, and I noticed that my left shift key has stopped working with the I J K and , keys, while the M key doesn't work with both shift keys.

I haven't done anything aside from rebooting, doing a virus scan (negative) and checking the the sticky keys settings (it's not turned on) because I'm not really that tech-savvy and I'm scared that I might screw something up.

Would you guys happen to know what's going on? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I also noticed that my left ctrl key is not working with the I key, but it works with the one on the right.

Solution

Honestly, it sounds like an electrical or electronic malfunction of the keyboard. You or a technician can try re-seating the keyboard's cable to the motherboard. Beyond that, the keyboard may need to be replaced.
NOTE: If you need to type in a password to even get into Windows to do the following, make sure you attached an external keyboard first, to get past the password. Then disconnect the external keyboard and try the following...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

You may also want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

theprophetessofdoom

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016

Hey, I tried it and did automatically reinstall. However, I'm still having the same problem. Is there anything else that I could do?

Honestly, it sounds like an electrical or electronic malfunction of the keyboard. You or a technician can try re-seating the keyboard's cable to the motherboard. Beyond that, the keyboard may need to be replaced.

Solution