We're Giving $2,000 for the Best How-to Posts!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
[citation][nom]banthracis[/nom]Take Tecmo's very good PC building How to, which is rated at 4 starshttp://www.computing.net/howtos/sh [...] c/509.htmlnow compare to this 5 star rated 2 sentence how to...that basically says don't click on weird links In short, seriously flawed system here...[/citation]
I voted it down.

liemfukliang

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
I can understand the "US ONLY" things for a goods prices. Because it is a local us only brand sponsor. But this time the prices is MONEY, so why can world wide?

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]Sihastru[/nom]You lost me at "it's your job to get your friends, family and co-workers voting for you by popularizing your how-to on Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc."$1500 is not enough for such an extensive advertising campaign.[/citation]
You took the words right out of my mouth...

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
This contest is for US residents (excluding Rhode Island), 18 years or older.

You know, I don't like to be pedantic and I respect and appreciate this gesture. But to deny any opportunity for European and other contributors..including those who routinely post opinions, help and also report spam..jeeze, guys. Couldn't something - even a little something - be offered?

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]How-To include the rest of the planet....[/citation]

..dunno, maybe enter across the Mexican/US border. Pity the "USA-Only" policy doesn't apply there.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]i get that outside the US there are legal bla bla bla .... but why are you all picking on Rhode Island? .... not popular enough or smthg ?[/citation]
:lol:
When my family took a trip across the US a couple years back, I think we had every license plate but that! We had 2 or 3 Hawaii plates and the same with Alaska - but no Rhode Island

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Yeah this is more of a social networking contest then an actual one. Sorry... although I may be competitive when it comes to actual article writing, I am NOT when it comes to gather a mass of people who could care less and vote for me.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Hmm the quote buttons ain't working for me..
"Rating System also Sucks."

Looks like those 2 articles have been appropriately changed a bit since everybody's gone and voted them down/up respectively

DGriffin

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2005
A "How To" guide on not making your users retaliate to your articles?

I like the Idea Jane, but I think it needs some revision =D

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Agreed with many of the rest of you.

Technically minded people usually aren't extremely popular. Unless you're trying to fill a spot on your team for those that can cleverly marry technical garble while being on a 2nd grade reading level to appease the masses, this contest is poorly aimed. :/

I love providing information that helps other people and the best reward is knowing that your work helped someone else resolve a problem. A monetary reward would be nice, but if you guys are giving away money for How-to articles, there are plenty out there already. No need to inflate the community with a bunch of guides that are only after money. Reward those that are worthy of it already.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]tronika[/nom]sorry but i'd rather have real techs vote on my How To, not to use us fools as an advertising campaign (trust me, $2,000 is a very cheap ad campaign) to whore all of us out on facebook, myspace (really?), and the twits. count me out! good luck to the rest.[/citation]
You hit the nail on the head.

G

I agree with:

You lost me at "it's your job to get your friends, family and co-workers voting for you by popularizing your how-to on Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc."

$1500 is not enough for such an extensive advertising campaign.

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Oh cmon dude...I love Toms..but everytime...... "Only USA"
And i actually wanted to take part just for the heck of it......cmon guys let others participate too.....
we like dollar$ too u know ;)

Deadstick50

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Wow, first they wanted to whore us out so Google could further data mine us with Chrome.
Now they want us all to advertise a new site for free so one of us can whore themselves on Fa$ebook and Twi$$er to win $1500?

INCREDABLE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.