Westinghouse "120hz" TV Flickering when playing certain video games

Status
Not open for further replies.

CherryBlossomStorm

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
I have a westinghouse LD-4080 TV. It's one of those TVs that claims to be "120 hz" and uses some type of interpolation to achieve that. I have it connected to my gaming computer via HDMI (i5-6600k at stock speeds, rx 480 8gb, 16gb ddr4 ram).

When playing Skyrim, the screen flickers or dims badly. Everytime my character starts moving, it seems like the in-game lighting dims, especially nearer the edges of the screen. Standing in place and moving the camera about slowly, or repeatedly stopping and starting movement, the screen flickers noticeably. It's especially bad in darker in-game lighting conditions, harder to detect in broad daylight+sunlight in game. It's very noticeable, distracting, and frustrating. If I stay still, it reverts back.

As far as I can tell it only happens with Skyrim. But I don't have that many video games either.

Plugging it into 2 other TVs in the house, this issue does not occur. Works fine.

https://www.manualslib.com/download/559314/Westinghouse-Ld-4080.html Here is the manual. It was of no help to me.

Would switching to a different cable help? I'd like to know before I run out and spend money on that. I'm not even sure how I'd do that - the TV only supports HDMI and VGA, the GPU supports HDMI and Displayport.

is there some other way to fix this? to disable the TVs post processing perhaps? To change settings on the PCs side of things to fix this?

I'm totally stumped here. Thanks.

Hello.

I would try disabling DLC in the setup Menu of your TV and check if it does anything.

Next, if it is only in games, then it is probably the frequency the game outputs in. Have you tried disabling or enabling V-sync in Skyrim? Trying other resolutions or frequencies? You can try limiting the game to 60hz using the Nvidia/catalyst control settings.

If it's only for Skyrim, you can always try limiting your FPS? This may be the issue.

Also, try lowering the quality settings to see if it's not your computer that's lagging? Skyrim will flicker horribly if the settings are too high.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34/?

CherryBlossomStorm

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016

That did not help either. It still happens. All settings on low. Hits 60fps easily, vsync on or off.

CherryBlossomStorm

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016

Yes, it does do it in windowed mode - BUT - it doesn't do it on the other TV I have! (which is much smaller, and only 720p and so on.. I'd like to use my good tv.)

Status
Not open for further replies.